Author Topic: A question about steam  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Zebeast46

• Full Member Mark III
A question about steam
« on: January 02, 2015, 11:18:30 pm »
Does valve make money off of games that are purchased, I am wondering because I read a comment that said that valve does indeed make a bit of money off of games purchased on steam but I am not entirely sure I believe that.
AI 1 = Chris.

AI 2 = Keith.

Taken from Bognor

Offline WingedKagouti

Re: A question about steam
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 11:51:13 pm »
Valve takes about 30% of any store purchase made on Steam (last I checked they weren't allowing anyone with a contract to publish the actual number, that may have changed). It's fairly common for a store to sell stuff for more than they pay themselves, it's part of how they can pay their employees.

And it's not like it's pure profit for them after paying wages. They still have to provide a download for any required files, and not just as a one-time download either. If you get an entirely new computer, you can just download all the games in your Steam library again. Which means a constant expense to keep the servers running and making sure that there are backups of every game that has ever been available on the service. And bandwidth costs money as well, especially for the largest online games platform. And depending on the service provider they use for it, each credit card transaction will cost them a bit of money as well.

Then there's the various community stuff like the Steam forums, family library sharing, workshop, friends list and chat. All of which costs money to develop, maintain, and refine while not directly contributing any to their income. The market place does generate some cash flow for them, but that is once again due to Valve taking a cut on every single transaction (you can even see how much whenever you buy/sell something on the market place).

Make no mistake, Valve are making quite a bit of profit from Steam. But if they didn't, they probably would not expand or push the extra community related stuff as much as they do.

Offline Zebeast46

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:34:19 am »
Okay, that makes sense.

But you said that when you get a new computer you can transfer games from your old computer to the new one. How do you do this exactly, because when I access steam from someone else's computer I only remember being given the option to re-purchase it.
AI 1 = Chris.

AI 2 = Keith.

Taken from Bognor

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:16:29 am »
On the steam client, you log onto your steam account and goto the library and you can see all your games available to download.  You probably aren't logged into the account you purchased the games with, is why you can't see you own them already.

I'm pretty sure you can't have multiple computers logged onto steam at once, so be careful about logging steam on a friend's computer.

Offline Endymion

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 11:33:30 pm »
I'm pretty sure you can't have multiple computers logged onto steam at once, so be careful about logging steam on a friend's computer.
I'm pretty sure this is no longer the case since you need to log on 2 computers to get in-home streaming to work. Well maybe it still somehow checks if both computers are in your home or something.

Also afaik if you log onto a friend's computer you can share your library with his usual account so that when you aren't playing they can play your games.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:37:17 pm by Endymion »
I'm making videogames! You can read more about whatever I'm doing here

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:39:42 pm »
By the way all arcen titles downloaded an "update" on steam recently. Anyone know what that is? T&C changes?  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk