Author Topic: A Paladin’s Steam: Valve Needs to Fix Steam’s Curation Now, Not Later...  (Read 3080 times)

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
Wrote up a blog post recently about Steam's lacking (completely broken) curation on the front page of the store and how it's affecting everyone. Thoughts/discussion/criticism welcome as I'm trying to get my blogging skills back up after a long hiatus.

http://kingisaaclinksr.com/2014/04/26/a-paladins-steam-valve-needs-to-fix-steam-now-not-later/

Thanks for reading.

P.S.: The Last Federation is #49 on the new releases list now. It's #6 on GOG.com's new releases list. That is, quite frankly, stunning to me how much disparity there is.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:04:04 am by KingIsaacLinksr »
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
P.S.: The Last Federation is #49 on the new releases list now. It's #6 on GOG.com's new releases list. That is, quite frankly, stunning to me how much disparity there is.
Given the distinct markets and distinct distributor sizes that doesn't surprise me at all.  Bear in mind that the difference in scale is over an order of magnitude, and that GOG's policies greatly limit which games they're willing to take completely apart from game-quality considerations. 

Even TLF only made it up on there because at some point since Bionic (which, you'll notice, is not on GOG, and not because we didn't want it there) GOG relented on its no-DLC policy (which up til that point they had only sporadically made exceptions for, and were still telling us that games with potential later paid DLC were a no-go).

On the post itself I must resepectfully disagree: steam's increased release volume certainly has tradeoffs (and I could do with a bit lower volume and a bit lower tradeoffs), but I don't see it being nearly to the degree of "completely broken".   For example, we're not at all angry about not getting more "front page time". 

They choose the top-large-rotator-banner set on, I presume, what they believe will bring in the most money.  For a time that meant TLF, and then sales cooled from stellar material down to just magma, and there were other games to feature with bigger potential for the spot (whether they were Early Access or not doesn't really factor in here; does it sell?  Often: oh yes).  Certainly we would have liked to hold on to that rotator spot longer, but I didn't see an objective reason why we should have.  Other games had been booted from it before us, and judging by the front-page top-sellers list that's because they were demonstrating less potential.  So it's not like we were first off the bus, etc.

The top-sellers list didn't suffer from curation problems at all, really, as it was just a straightforward expression of who was making the most money.  Similar with the specials list.

Furthermore, the smaller "Featured" sets under the large-rotator but above the main list let them keep TLF in some capacity for a longer period of time (though I don't see us there now).  Their fairly-new "Recently Updated" section is also a great step forward in giving developers a shot at front page time.

Anyway, the main "New Releases" list, which is the default display mode (which I think is superior to GOG's defaulting to the Top Sellers display mode, as otherwise TLF wouldn't have gotten any default-mode front-page-time at all on release)... yea, the "just the top ten spots" display doesn't work nearly as well when over 10 games (even excluding filterable DLC) are sometimes released in a single day.  The idea that a game can be released and get less than 24 hours of that "free front page time" is definitely problematic and something we deliberately avoided.  Getting something in the neighborhood of 84 hours in the top-spot of the new-releases list was very nice for us.

But showing more spots at the same time (beyond, say, upping it from 10 to 15) isn't particularly workable either.  At some point people glaze over.

Which brings it back to the question of just not releasing so many games.  There I think you're up their deliberate policy of wanting to step back from being the gatekeeper between developers and customers.  Given some of the games I see up there, I think we could do with a little more gatekeeping.  On the other hand, I don't see it as the kind of critical issue you do:

- Even if they'd been a LOT more picky, TLF wouldn't have stayed on the new-releases list for very much longer.

- If they'd been a LOT more picky, I'm not at all certain TLF would have made it in at all.  I remember back when every time we got a game to the point of having a release date and we'd get in touch with Valve, we'd be extremely nervous about the potential of them saying "looks interesting, but not interesting enough to put on the store".  Now we don't treat it as 100% given that they'll take something, but most of our concern is over getting a timing and situation that allows for a good launch (like TLF had, largely thanks to Valve's promotion of it), rather than getting a launch at all.

Anyway, we're very happy with how TLF's launch went, and Valve was a huge part of making that happen.  There are aspects of what they've changed in recent years that I wish they hadn't changed so much, but from other experience with their willingness to change and adapt I'm also confident they'll continue to improve in the future.

That said, we're also very happy to be on GOG and Humble Store, etc.  They each have their advantages and disadvantages (same as steam) but the competition is good.  I hope to see those two in particular increase in market share so that things aren't quite so steam-centric, but we'll see.

Best,
Keith
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
Thanks for the reply Keith. It's good to get your guy's perspective on this.

But here's one concern I still have: I look at it from the consumer's perspective more and it's a giant flood that we can no longer keep up on. How is anyone supposed to take the time and look through that giant flood and say: "oh yeah, I want that game"? The carousel is...ok...in this regards but, for the most part, the same games stay up there for weeks, if not months, at a time so I wouldn't be surprised if gamers ignore that at times.

Thoughts on that part of things?
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
My perception as a consumer is that Steam could stand to filter out the crapware a bit better. It makes me wonder how bad the stuff sitting in Greenlight purgatory must be to NOT get onto the store.

One thing I wish they'd do is put "real" release dates on old games that have been released on Steam 5-10 years after they actually came out.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
But here's one concern I still have: I look at it from the consumer's perspective more and it's a giant flood that we can no longer keep up on. How is anyone supposed to take the time and look through that giant flood and say: "oh yeah, I want that game"?
That's a valid concern and I would also like somewhat less traffic.  That said even with my schedule I'm able to at least make a glance-and-decide decision on each new title from steam by:

1) subscribing to their rss: http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/news.xml (I use feedly for the purpose).  So I check a couple times a day and just flip through the entries. 
2) The ones that have potential I click the store-page link for and spend a few seconds examining that.  Occasionally there's an autobuy, but not often. 
3) If I think it might be worth it but want to wait until it has player reviews I wishlist it.
4) That way whenever it goes on discount I'll get an email from steam and can go take a second look.
5) If the second look yields a "looks like it stunk after all" result I un-wishlist it.
6) Otherwise I might buy it, or just leave it until a deeper discount comes along later, etc.

Sometimes I also page through the new releases list on the actual steam website, but the rss is more convenient because it won't show me entries I've already seen (unless I ask it to).

Anyway, yea, the situation could be better.  Too much crapware.  But I don't see it as a critical issue as I'm able to make a "haha, no" decision on obvious crapware in less than 5 seconds, and not be bothered with it again.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
I'll agree that this whole issue has been bloody annoying.  The least they could do is color-code the damn things.... not so much to make it easier to deal with, but mostly because it'd make the army of complaining idiots on their forums stop whining so damn much.  It's like, hey, we get it already: You're annoyed that such-and-such game wasnt marked as Early Access.  Now GO AWAY.  Argh.

Though there's also the matter of total freaking overload.  It's annoying to go onto Steam, look at the front page, and go "Arrrrgh.  They've released 83 new games in one day again."  which is inevitably followed by "Okay, let's look through some of these.... first one, hmm, just an FPS, no thanks.... second one, hmm, this looks okay, I'll check it out.... thir- GAH BORED NOW."

You may not have noticed, but I aint exactly the patient sort (hah).  These things coming out in bloody heaps all at once, and with no categorization, makes it simply take too damn long to go through them. And by "takes too long" I mean "takes more than 3 minutes."  I could be missing out on all sorts of things and not know it, but I aint about to waste that damn much time going back through the list.

Used to be much, much easier.  Now it's just obnoxious.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
"takes more than 3 minutes."
I commend to you the rss approach I mentioned above :)  The only time I spend more than about 1 minute looking at steam releases in a day is when one of them is interesting enough to warrant investigation.

But yea, the front page's utility for that has diminished as the "rate of fire" has increased.

Offline Ucchedavada

• Newbie Mark III
I'll agree that this whole issue has been bloody annoying.  The least they could do is color-code the damn things.... not so much to make it easier to deal with, but mostly because it'd make the army of complaining idiots on their forums stop whining so damn much.  It's like, hey, we get it already: You're annoyed that such-and-such game wasnt marked as Early Access.  Now GO AWAY.  Argh.

If anyone wants Early Access games to be marked, then they can install the Enhanced Steam browser plugin. Among many other features, such as showing which games employ additional DRM, it adds an small banner to Early Access game logos.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member

1) subscribing to their rss: http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/news.xml (I use feedly for the purpose).  So I check a couple times a day and just flip through the entries. 

This is a good idea (and it reminded me I could do that so I've subscribed on feedly as well) but: it still doesn't fix the problem for the rest of Steam buyers who don't use RSS for whatever reason that might be. That being said, not much we can do about it as we aren't Valve.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
Logging in to steam via browser with a plugin injecting code into the site seems like a security nightmare waiting to happen.... after all... if at any one point in time someone hijacks steam's DNS entry and redirects, you will instantly splatter your login info, email and what not to a 3rd party...  well, not that I have any payment details entered in Steam (I only pay via Paypal ,p) but It'd still make me jumpy just logging into my steam account via the web, not to mention giving my info to a plugin that might get an hacked update and pwn my account...

Remember, Firefox and Chrome update plugins stealthily. And it takes -1- hacked update of that plugin to pwn your steam account. Danger is too high, I don't think I ever even logged into my steam account from the web. At least when it's on my system, I have various security measures... I don't trust plugins much

That said, the RSS method is interesting, but how does that tell me which games are interesting and which aren't? ;)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
My issue with steam's "curation" or lack thereof is that as a customer it feels like it's just a tide of crap rather than allowing quality games. The amount of worthless titles and the varying levels of how broken/missing features/deceptively they are advertised as just causes me to lose faith that steam has any interest in providing quality control.

As such, I've probably bought less games since they've opened the flood gates and certainly am less inclined to look into indie titles that I haven't already heard about from other sources.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk