Author Topic: Stacking, Hull Types and Armor  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
Stacking, Hull Types and Armor
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:09:09 am »
I picked this forum since this was more of a technical thought about AI Wars. This is directed mainly at Keith:

I know you've mentioned the biggest issue with the Stacking suggestion is virtualization of ForegroundObject.  I don't know if you've considered it, but in reworking Hull Types and Armor, you might be able to squeeze enough bits out to storing a stack count in the ForegroundObject itself to avoid virtualization.  Two numbers stored in a single primitive are each accessible by a single bit operation (AND mask for the first, bit-shift for the second), so that shouldn't be speed prohibitive.  Just a thought while I ride out this lovely storm on the east coast.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Stacking, Hull Types and Armor
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 11:35:42 am »
The memory footprint of an extra 8-bit or 16-bit int isn't that big a deal.  I've done worse for less (though I go to lengths to avoid it, too).

The bigger concerns are:

1)
The performance penalty of having to multiply or even bitshift AttackPower and MaxHealth whenever they're used would be substantial.

Or:

The bug-potential of having AttackPower and MaxHealth no longer be attributes of the ForegroundObject's UnitData object (which is shared by all ForegroundObject's sharing the same enum-Type and Player) would be... pretty impressive ;)

2) How to show "this is a stacked/fused/whatever ship" on the interface is non-obvious to me:

Just showing the numbers would get cluttery in a hurry (as presumably there's gonna be a lot of these wherever there's any, or else the stacking would be unnecessary) and that would have a substantial performance impact as well from the extra draws (unless we create alternate baked runtime textures for every used combination of unit and stack-count, which has its own costs). 

Or:

Drawing the mark number or something else in a different color for each stacking quantity would be a little less aesthetically disastrous but would have similar performance concerns in terms of extra draws and/or distinct textures, etc.

3) And ultimately I think there are just more interesting ways of packing strength into a lower unit count.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk