Author Topic: Exodus Of The Machine Teaser 1  (Read 111766 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Exodus Of The Machine Teaser 1
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2013, 05:11:26 pm »
It doesn't look strategic, or play like OT, or look like a tactics game.  It looks more like a certain generally-disliked game genre that you would not see on Steam in the main.  The graphics are great -- I think so, at least -- so it's not that.  It's just how we have to present the information.  In some ways its similar to how OT presents the info, but it's even more similar to how a more recent (much maligned) genre does.

In other words, this game doesn't look like any of the genres that it actually is.  And yeah that's kind of the problem, but that can't be changed (it wasn't my idea in the first place, but even if it had been I think the current way of doing it brilliant and the right way to go).

I'm probably killing enthusiasm for the game here, with all these admonishments.  I'm just saying it's a really unusual blend (isn't it always?) and people who are uninformed will jump to wrong conclusions without a nudge.  That's really the TLDR.

Tidalis didn't even get 30 seconds to make its case, because people would see the first screenshot and think "oh match 3" and click away.  Who wants that, right?  I think the same will be true here if we're not careful.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2013, 05:12:58 pm »
I don't particularly have fond memories of Oregon Trail, I always thought it was kind of a stupid game. But I remember as a kid that EVERYONE ELSE did
I'm not sure people so much enjoyed Oregon Trail as they enjoy telling jokes about how painful it was.

I played a few games of it while designing this and had some pretty serious RNG-rage (I'm doing awesome and I'm 90% of the way to the end and YAY a wagon fire just wiped out my huge food stockpile) and "this hunting minigame is total bs"-rage ;)

I'm not emulating that.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2013, 05:14:22 pm »
Put another way, if we just showed a short bit of raw footage of the game, people would never guess the genre.

I think this statement needs a test.  Just show us the footage, and let us try to guess the genre!  ;D

I wonder if the Skyward Collapse forum is jealous of this one...  :-\

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2013, 05:16:59 pm »
I think the same will be true here if we're not careful.
True that.

You have to decide how you want to reveal it.

Giving a shout it is great. But if you give it first, you are giving the impression it takes the largest share of inspiration, if not downright modding it. It is not easy to shake off that feeling after the fact. If you lead with your "thing", you give the impression it is more unique, a blend of ideas or new ones.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2013, 05:19:19 pm »
It doesn't look strategic, or play like OT, or look like a tactics game.  It looks more like a certain generally-disliked game genre that you would not see on Steam in the main. 

This should be your tag line. So intriguing! A non-strategic, non-tactics game that doesn't play like OT, but is like a strategic and tactical OT.... O_o

Does it look like.... a dating sim? A spread sheet? An origami simulator?

Wait, I know!

- The gameplay will be a mix of Tetris, Jenga and Hungry, Hungry Hippo.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:22:40 pm by Penumbra »

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2013, 05:22:29 pm »
I'm not sure people so much enjoyed Oregon Trail as they enjoy telling jokes about how painful it was.

I played a few games of it while designing this and had some pretty serious RNG-rage (I'm doing awesome and I'm 90% of the way to the end and YAY a wagon fire just wiped out my huge food stockpile) and "this hunting minigame is total bs"-rage ;)

I'm not emulating that.

Also keep in mind the game is almost 30 years old. There are plenty of people who have no idea what it is aside from the jokes, if not more so. Since so many of those jokes are of RNG antics...the perception may not be so rosy.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2013, 05:24:11 pm »
It doesn't look strategic, or play like OT, or look like a tactics game.  It looks more like a certain generally-disliked game genre that you would not see on Steam in the main. 

This should be your tag line. So intriguing! A non-strategic, non-tactics game that doesn't play like OT, but is like a strategic and tactical OT.... O_o

You are right! This is what I mean. If at the end of a paragraph you think "I want to know more now!" Then mission accomplished, trailer successful. ;)
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2013, 05:27:07 pm »
It's like an OT that doesn't give you dysentery! Except when you deserve it...which is always...
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2013, 05:28:24 pm »
It's like an OT that doesn't give you dysentery! Except when you deserve it...which is always...
Yea, we'll probably give you a medic roll.  To be nice.

You didn't run out of medkits already, right?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2013, 05:29:39 pm »
OKAY I'VE GOT IT:

It's like Oregon Trail, but with nukes.  Dysentery Nukes. Make your enemies feel their bowels your pain.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2013, 05:30:10 pm »
Well, we'll do the best we can on initial reveals of more info, and then seek more info for later materials from folks once they are in the know as well. For now we'll bear all the suggestions in mind and deal with the challenge of presenting it effectively as we can. Keith, you're free to say more but I don't want to step on your toes by revealing even the genre it would be mistaken as.

By the by though: we're still polishing things like the GUI visuals and don't want to show any of that until its something that could be (and may actually be) final quality. We are on something like major revision 32 of the GUI at this point. Not function, mostly, but just making the visuals more and more intricate and interesting.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2013, 05:31:44 pm »
It's like Oregon Trail, but with nukes. 
There's something to that.

Dysentery Nukes.
But not to that. Ew.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #147 on: March 29, 2013, 05:33:02 pm »
OKAY I'VE GOT IT:

It's like Oregon Trail, but with nukes.  Dysentery Nukes. Make your enemies feel their bowels your pain.

I lost my coffee...

[where are my forum buttons? I want to laugh]

I'm going to break the grain and wonder if somehow this is pre the civil war in ai wars.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2013, 05:34:38 pm »
I'm going to break the grain and wonder if somehow this is pre the civil war in ai wars.
Not pre-civil-war.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2013, 05:35:42 pm »
...Roguelike...

except it has already been hinted at it will be best suited to arcen in the future...

hmmm
Life is short. Have fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk