Author Topic: Stuck behind turret?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline benexclaimed

Stuck behind turret?
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:39:12 pm »
I deployed a turret in a narrow hallway and now I'm stuck behind it. I can't find any way to remove it or kill it -- is there any way to proceed?

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Stuck behind turret?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 09:40:50 pm »
I think you should be able to shoot it if you hold shift... assuming you are not out of ammo.

Offline Winge

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 09:41:10 pm »
Holding shift allows you to attack ground.  This works on allies, so you can kill it that way.

Edit:  ninja'd
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline benexclaimed

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:41:37 pm »
Ah, thanks. That did it.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 10:38:30 pm »
Yep, the usual solution to any problem in this game: shoot it :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:46:57 am »
I ran into the same problem, and had to abort an early mission.  Didn't realise the shift-force-target command till a few hours later.
Perhaps I just missed it, but if it isn't already there, I suggest making that ability more prominent - it really helps with Sieges, too.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 10:56:11 am »
We should have written all this up in the wiki and made that into the game manual.

The first page simple have this line:
"if it doesn't die when you click it, try shift-clicking."

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 10:57:52 am »
I can't check in the game right now, but this made me think.

If you are really in a stuck situation - you can't reach the exit, there are no enemies left, and you are out of ammo. Is there any way to "surrender" a mission?

If not, that basically means you could reach a "no possible progress" state in the game.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 11:04:24 am »
I can't check in the game right now, but this made me think.

If you are really in a stuck situation - you can't reach the exit, there are no enemies left, and you are out of ammo. Is there any way to "surrender" a mission?

If not, that basically means you could reach a "no possible progress" state in the game.
You can Abandon a mission, which counts as losing.  This can produce odd results - for example, on one mission against a Robot Command Center, I destroyed it using a Shadow Torpedo Launcher, then aborted.  I lost 1 HP on my HQ, but 5 days passed.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 11:39:49 am »
I ran into the same problem, and had to abort an early mission.  Didn't realise the shift-force-target command till a few hours later.
Perhaps I just missed it, but if it isn't already there, I suggest making that ability more prominent - it really helps with Sieges, too.
Where would you suggest noting it?

There's already a tooltip that shows at the bottom of the mission screen whenever your cursor is over an empty tile that says "WASD to move, right-click to attack, hold shift to ground-fire, mouse-wheel to zoom, arrow keys to pan."

Is that not showing up in your case?

Not that it's impossible that someone just won't read that (and I don't mean that in an insulting way, sometimes there's just a glaze-over effect), but if a one-line tooltip that shows as often as that can't get the info across, what could?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 11:52:06 am »
I do see that tooltip on the ground, but when hovering over a friendly turret, you actually don't see that. You just get the turret tooltip. Perhaps a "shift + right click to attack your friendly turret, you monster!" or something would help. I actually had the same problem, and I knew someone would be here asking about it.

Offline benexclaimed

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 12:37:00 pm »
I noticed the "ground fire" command fairly early on but didn't really understand why I'd ever want to use that. Didn't even consider it here, obviously.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 01:58:26 pm »
There's already a tooltip that shows at the bottom of the mission screen whenever your cursor is over an empty tile that says "WASD to move, right-click to attack, hold shift to ground-fire, mouse-wheel to zoom, arrow keys to pan."

Not that it's impossible that someone just won't read that (and I don't mean that in an insulting way, sometimes there's just a glaze-over effect), but if a one-line tooltip that shows as often as that can't get the info across, what could?
Ah.  It's attached to the "Suppress Bootstrapping hints" toggle, which I turned on really early.  I suppose making it more obvious wouldn't help, not when it was something that I had suppressed myself.   :-[

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 02:19:16 pm »

Ah.  It's attached to the "Suppress Bootstrapping hints" toggle, which I turned on really early.  I suppose making it more obvious wouldn't help, not when it was something that I had suppressed myself.   :-[

Too tough to accept a helping hand, eh? :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk