Author Topic: First impressions  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Rekka

• Jr. Member Mark II
First impressions
« on: September 14, 2013, 05:58:37 am »
Bionic Dues first impressions.

I tried to not read all topics about the game so I could get a real first impression of the game and see if everything could be figured out easily. So far I have 44 days left before the apocalypse comes knocking. :D So sorry if there is some stuff which has been already said. :)

First off, the main menu is nice and the music is really good. I started my first game with recommended settings just changed the pilot to Tuck. A little redundancy in the description of the assault exo (Well-rounded all around) but otherwise, the rest is clear. Exos are gorgeous, pilots not so much. :D Good presentation of the goal of the game with a read intro which is always a nice touch. The city map is fine with description of the purppose of different missions and what can be found in them.

Missions :
For the first 2 missions, I lacked of hacking points and couldn't hack that much. I did also encounter a bug where I couldn't deploy my Science exo but when I saved/loaded the game back up it disappeared. I'll see if I can reproduce this but it happened only once so not a big deal.
I missed some kind of weapon range view to see how far I can shoot with each. Counting floor tiles is a bit of a pain. :P
Camera seems a bit odd when you pan out and move after that. It moves a bit toward your exo but if you are too far from it, you won't see it after the camera moves. It feels a bit strange.
I would also like some visual tips to be able to recognize at a glance that the thing just next to me is in fact a big old tank of fuel which will explode in my face and will cause so much pain (but it may be because I am not very familiar with all in game objects yet :D). I also don't get what is represented by the aim-icon thingy in the fog of war.
The tooltips for my exos are duplicated (ie : I have the description text twice).
For the hostage missions, I first thought the number below the mission icon was the number of remaining pods and not the number of ennemies. It could be a nice info to add (replacing the text with a X/Y with X in green representing the number of remaining pods and Y in red representing the number of ennemies left).
A little pop-up to tell me that I have completed the objective would be nice too. I have Tuck so I can see the objectives so I know when I have destroyed all of them but with some other pilots this could be a nice thing to add. Sometimes ennemy robots would shoot onto their own mates but I think it's because they can't aim properly to me (it's what their description says :P). Otherwise missions went smoothly and controls seems pretty straight-forward. The punchlines of dead robots are great. ;)

Equipment screen :
It could use some listing but that is something I already read somewhere on this forum so...
Some stats are still obscures to me (System protection for example). This moment is quiet... Like really really quiet but I am guessing that not all the musics are in yet.
Unequipping item could be done with a simple right-click on it instead of clicking on it and re-clicking on it in the list of equipment which could go in that space.
When your power balance is not good, maybe turn the text red so you can see something is wrong before you try to go on a mission.
The text area in the bottom left could use some extra space and/or mousewheel could scroll it.
You could also add a little "New" text for the loots of the last mission so they can be easily identified.

Well, that's it for now. I'll put some of these in mantis if they are not already there but I must say that so far, I enjoy this game very much. It has some small interface issues but nothing dramatic and in comparaison to all the good things, these doesn't weight much. :)

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
Re: First impressions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 06:32:19 am »
For the first 2 missions, I lacked of hacking points and couldn't hack that much. I did also encounter a bug where I couldn't deploy my Science exo but when I saved/loaded the game back up it disappeared. I'll see if I can reproduce this but it happened only once so not a big deal.

That happened to my ninja exo once, but I could never replicate it.

I missed some kind of weapon range view to see how far I can shoot with each. Counting floor tiles is a bit of a pain. :P

Try holding shift. :)

Offline Rekka

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 06:55:48 am »
Try holding shift. :)
Yeah. The fun part is I did hold shift but for some reason my brain didn't connect the dots. :D Someone put me on track in the mantis also. :) Sorry that I did a bug report which wasn't one. :-X

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
  • WARNING: May Contain Objectionable Opinions
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 07:02:16 am »
Unequipping item could be done with a simple right-click on it instead of clicking on it and re-clicking on it in the list of equipment which could go in that space.
When your power balance is not good, maybe turn the text red so you can see something is wrong before you try to go on a mission.
You could also add a little "New" text for the loots of the last mission so they can be easily identified.

These are all good ones for Mantis.
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

Or is that "to kill"?  Hmm.

Offline Rekka

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 07:05:27 am »
Yup, they are in. ;)

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 07:24:48 am »
You can also mouse over enemies and press ctrl to see their fire range.
And this should be in some hints somewhere I think.. I found it by experiment and vague memory of release note.

Offline Rekka

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 10:04:27 am »
Didn't know that! This could be handy. Thanks. ;)

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 10:27:08 am »
I also don't understand the aim icon in the fog of war. Does it show exits?

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 10:34:34 am »
It shows unexplored areas. And there was a discussion somewhere it could use a better icon.

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 04:18:02 am »
Maybe a fuzzy square area would work better it is certainly a bit confusing for new players.

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 05:19:22 am »
Or how about a question mark? Definitely less ambiguous.
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 01:27:36 pm »
Maybe a fuzzy square area would work better it is certainly a bit confusing for new players.
That sounds a like a really good alternative to me - if feasible. I also feel like the crosshair is a tad too ambiguous, especially for newcomers...
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 02:01:07 pm »
Question mark is ok for me. I don't want fuzzy area since it might be hard to notice especially when zoomed out.

Offline Winge

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 03:48:03 pm »
Or how about a question mark? Definitely less ambiguous.

As long as it's not green.  There are too many of those in the Batman games...
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 06:07:30 pm »
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk