Author Topic: Bionic Dues Private Alpha Begins Now  (Read 13424 times)

Offline Breach

Re: Bionic Dues Private Alpha Begins Now
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2013, 06:43:35 pm »
Thanks for the continued hard work! Should we be reporting localization error messages on Mantis? Just a hunch they may be related to translations or something that won't be put in until right before release.

Edit: Orzelek beat me to it below!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:53:34 pm by Breach »

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2013, 06:50:31 pm »
I added few issues on mantis including localization exception.

And came here to file small complain to nice update of customization screens.
When part X fits into more than one system previously it had all possible effects shown in tool-tip.
currently you see only effect for system you are placing it into - to see if it would be better somewhere else you need to go to customization of that particular system and compare.
It would be nice if that part of info could return to description as it was - with system names in parenthesis and maybe in a different color.

Offline Aeson

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2013, 06:52:36 pm »
About the power-boosting components: I no longer entirely agree that they aren't worthwhile, as I've now found some that provide bonuses of about 50% and I'm using multiple reactors which produce ~600 power each on most of my vehicles. If I have a reactor I can put in instead of the booster, I'll still probably use the reactor, but the boosters no longer appear to be as poor of a choice. I'd still look at the early boosters that give ~10% bonuses, though.

About the power generators: I think you're right and it was just a lack of early access to reactor stations, as, while I'm not exactly swimming in reactors, my power problems have more or less gone the way of the dodo after completing a couple of those and saving up for a few reactors from the store. I'm still putting any good reactors I see in the shop on layaway, though.

About the new customization screen: I like it. However, I've noticed that sometimes the selection/description area 'jitters' when enough stuff is changed by a component that the game needs to add a new line to the system overview at the top, because if your mouse cursor is towards the upper part of an item icon then when the system overview area adds a line your cursor won't be over the icon after the line gets added, which causes the game to rapidly switch between the current and modified system overviews, making it look like someone is shaking the customization window.

About the names on top of character icons: you might want to work on Rey's name or his shirt, because the name text color and the shirt color are a little too close for the name to be easily read.

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2013, 07:12:34 pm »
Please take a look:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=12199
Some messy stuff with mines and sentries not being assigned correctly or some other oddity.

I'm not sure but did hp of normal bots halve?
It's possible I seen only easier bots this time but they had about 50 hp on normal.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:19:34 pm by orzelek »

Offline Breach

« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2013, 07:25:17 pm »

And came here to file small complain to nice update of customization screens.
When part X fits into more than one system previously it had all possible effects shown in tool-tip.
currently you see only effect for system you are placing it into - to see if it would be better somewhere else you need to go to customization of that particular system and compare.
It would be nice if that part of info could return to description as it was - with system names in parenthesis and maybe in a different color.

You can still view that information in the inventory window, which shows all the equipment you have. I think that marries nicely with the more comprehensive tooltip.

I really am diggin the new customisation layout.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2013, 08:03:17 pm »

The waking up thing is a bug.  Getting stuck should never happen, as they can walk through debris and destroy it, and so on.  They have the same pathfinding as in skyward, too.  The only thing they should ever be stuck on is each other.  Are you looking at things like eaglebots and some of the others that are intentionally bonkers?

I've seen them get stuck on walls, and I've seen them get stuck on "shut down" bots, you know, ones that run out of ammo and just stand there.  They dont get stuck on cover objects, no.   Generally though when I say "stuck" it's often in a situation where there's a very obvious way around it.   Like, they're in some huge open room, and they might have a whole one shut-down bot in front of them, and they just cant seem to figure out how to go around it.   That sort of thing.

7. I've noticed that some maps have potential loot which is inaccessible because the only way to the loot is past the item which ends the mission and you can't get past it without triggering the mission end. It's mildly annoying, but nothing major.

Hmm, that is annoying.  Not sure what to do about that, though.

A suggestion for this, maybe have it so that it acts a bit similar to how you activate hacking objects, where you have to sorta walk "into" it in order to activate it?  Instead of having it be like the loot boxes.  The level generator does seem to like to place items and locked doors behind these goal objects.

EDIT:  Ah, excellent, you added to the customization screen.   That's much better.  Alot easier to see the stats.

On a side note, I have discovered that reprogramming a BlunderBot isnt necessarily the brightest idea I've ever had.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:24:42 pm by Misery »

Offline Histidine

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2013, 12:42:33 am »
Is Hard supposed to only have 3 Bahamut stations? My Brawler Exo had to do without in my last game.

No, there should always be enough.  It may have been tucked away somewhere, but I've never seen a map without it.  If you have a save without it, feel free to send it and I'll check it out.
Well, I think I've explored the whole map, but I can't find the last one. Save attached.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2013, 09:38:00 am »
Well, many bugs found and reported today.  The EMPBots are still glitchy as heck.   Their effect still locks down enemy bots as it seems to strip all the ammo from them.

Also, Thunderbots.  I've killed entire missions by just getting in sensor range and hitting the whistle when it's a mission fulla cover objects, and then just watching them go berserk and explode everything and everyone.  These guys need therapy or something, I keep wondering just what the poor, 11-HP cover objects did to them to deserve the Super Nuke Beam.

And a tip to everyone:  That bot that can restore it's shields by sucking power out of allied bots?  Yeah.... dont give it a virus.  Just dont.

Overall, it goes well.  Items seem to scale up decently enough, the stats are pretty balanced now it seems, though I'm noticing one thing with the shop, which is that the amount you get back when you sell something is very close to the amount that you can buy it for;  if you have just a couple of purples or a small number of blues that you can sell.... and you almost always will.... you'll have ALOT of money really fast.  It hasnt hit the point that alot of games do where the money just stops mattering, but it's getting pretty close.   It was more interesting when you had to save up over the course of a couple of missions.

It's hard to fully judge the difficulty since the bots still dont "wake up" properly when things are happening near them (except for the whistle), so I get the impression I'm not fighting as many of them in some situations as I could be.   I do feel that the Bahamut missions in particular should be more difficult though; the reward for finishing these is huge, after all.  It also seems like I got access to these very early in the game. 

The Murderbot mission was one of the most interesting, though it seems he's easily distracted, as every now and then he'd just stop and sit there for 2 or 3 turns.

It seems that most of the balance issues in this are going to be related to all of the various enemy bots.  That and the health boost for Normal mode may have been a BIT high;  the enemy bots attack values are still set on the much lower original values, after all. So quite alot of enemies will attack and only be doing like 5 damage a hit when you've got over 1000 health.  Many of the enemy bots seem like they need to be scaling better as their level rises.   

Though there is one other type of balance issue I can think of:  The Epic Science Exo, the Chaingun he has is the best weapon I've seen so far.   On a SCIENCE bot.  This could probably do with a bit of a nerf.

But still, this is going very well.   I cant think of any other major issues and I dont think I've had any crashes today.

Gotta say, I'm gonna be very interested to see what kind of a reception this game gets from reviewers.   I'd figured that if you guys ever got around to making a Roguelike of some sort it'd turn out to be very good, and so far I think I'm right, hah.   

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2013, 11:06:54 am »
Hi there!
I will keep my feedback to Mantis (mainly suggestions at this time - which is great) - just wanted to say I am having a blast so far and enjoying myself ;D.
Only got 3 hours under my belt so far and did not get to try the last two patches yet but the overall direction the alpha/game is taking looks very promising.
I am definitely looking forward to my next play session ;).

More feedback coming - keep it up!

PS:
LoS
I think the move to a more restrictive line of sight might well be the right one - I felt slightly duped by being shot through multiple  tiles of wall myself. Looking forward to try it.

Clarity
One other gripe I shared was that bots and surroundings are not easily discernable in some cases (especially if playing zoomed out view due to screen estate limitations).
This might well be solved once all bots are lit and animated, though.
If not, I would like to support adding the color coded highlights someone else proposed somewhere.

Bugs
As as far as bugs are concerned the most pressing issues to me are:
  • The explosive rune ammo issue (which should be fixed now - I still have to try it)
  • The EMPBot glitches e.g. EMP not to wear off in some cases (see Mantis for more).
  • The bots not waking up, react or get stuck issues reported by Misery

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:18:06 am by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Histidine

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2013, 11:17:50 am »
One minor thing I've noticed is that the camera often pans off into the darkness when I alt-tab. This can leave you in trouble if you forget the hotkey to center the screen on your exo.

If this is considered a problem, said hotkey could be mentioned somewhere, or an arrow indicator could be added to show where your exo is when it's offscreen.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2013, 11:35:17 am »
Clarity
One other gripe I shared was that bots and surroundings are not easily discernable in some cases (especially if playing zoomed out view due to screen estate limitations).
If not, I would like to support adding the color coded highlights someone else proposed somewhere.

The highlights were added though..... or do you mean for things that are fully in sight range?   The ones outside of sight range should have glows of various colors to them now in addition to the yellow glow of the enemy bots.

Also I wanted to mention the "power boosters" as brought up earlier in the thread, as I'd had the same issue with those in the early stages of the game, as they're totally worthless at that point, as the player just doesnt generate or use enough power for their various numbers to really add up to much.   Once I'd gotten my Bahamut upgrades all done though and started hitting higher power levels they really abruptly became useful enough that I started equipping them, and now, at that point, they have very noticable and good effects.   But they're going to seem pretty pointless to the player early on, which may cause the player to just keep ignoring them.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2013, 01:45:45 pm »
Is Hard supposed to only have 3 Bahamut stations? My Brawler Exo had to do without in my last game.

No, there should always be enough.  It may have been tucked away somewhere, but I've never seen a map without it.  If you have a save without it, feel free to send it and I'll check it out.
Well, I think I've explored the whole map, but I can't find the last one. Save attached.

It's there -- it's in the upper left corner, between the factory and the hostage mission.  It's not visible yet, as it's just slightly out of your scouting range.  It's 3 hops away, unfortunately, so there's not time for you to complete it with just 2 days left.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2013, 01:50:38 pm »
One minor thing I've noticed is that the camera often pans off into the darkness when I alt-tab. This can leave you in trouble if you forget the hotkey to center the screen on your exo.

If this is considered a problem, said hotkey could be mentioned somewhere, or an arrow indicator could be added to show where your exo is when it's offscreen.

I think most Arcen games will do this.  At least, I've seen it in AI War and Skyward Collapse.  You can turn off Edge Panning in the options if you don't ever use it.  I prefer the MMB, personally.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2013, 01:51:08 pm »
To the rest of the commentary here, in the main: great stuff.  I've unfortunately had to skim most of it because I have so many items on my work list that I'm trying to get through. I'm reading the mantis reports carefully though, and Josh is working on transposing the information to mantis that was submitted here but not in mantis.  If people can just directly put bug reports or suggestions into mantis (and thank you to those who are) that would save him some time and also prevent the potential loss of your suggestions just because it got overlooked and wasn't properly archived.

These threads are great for discussion, though, so let's keep that up around the forums rather than trying to have conversations in mantis.  To most of the discussion points above, the main reason for my skimming them is that the next version has already obsoleted almost all of them, happily. :)  I think you'll be pleased with what is in 0.905, and I look forward to reading your thoughts on that.

Unfortunately we can't detect when you have alt-tabbed out (grumble grumble).  You can use the H key to recenter on your exo, though.  It's a longtime unity oversight that we can't detect the alt-tabbing, and it's been frustrating people since AI War 4.0 (when we first moved to unity with a game with a viewport).  Keith had cooked up a windows-only solution that used some native calls, but that started crashing AI War with later service packs and with windows 8 IIRC, so we took that back out.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2013, 01:52:56 pm »
Clarity
The highlights were added though..... or do you mean for things that are fully in sight range?
This :D.
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk