Author Topic: Arsen or Arken?  (Read 5395 times)

Offline FroBodine

Arsen or Arken?
« on: October 08, 2013, 09:28:39 am »
Since this is the forum du jour, I thought this would be as good a place as any to ask.  Apologies if this is off-topic.

Is it pronounced 'Arsen' or 'Arken'?  I have always said 'Arsen' for years since I discovered this company. 

But, then I heard Das24680 say 'Arken' in his Bionic Dues Let's Plays.  And I got to wondering, am I the only doofus who pronounces it wrong?  Especially now that I can relate the arc graphic to your name.

Anyway - I just wanted to settle it once and for all, so what say you?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:42:51 am by FroBodine »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Arsen or Arken?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:31:52 am »
Haha, I was wondering this as well myself.  I'd rather not mispronounce it in videos if I can avoid it, lest I be even more confusing than I normally am.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 09:40:56 am »
Ar-Ken :)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 09:50:05 am »
We get this a lot, so don't feel bad.  It was frequent enough that we put the "ar-ken" thing up in our about us page.  As one who studied latin for years, it did not occur to me to think that some people would read it as a soft c rather than a hard one.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline FroBodine

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 10:02:06 am »
Thanks guys!  I have read your About Us page a few times, but completely forgot that part.  So, you're like a whole new company to me now!

Anyway, roll on Bionic Dues.  I can't wait to get home from work, download it, and start blasting bots.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 10:22:51 am »
It's coming quite soon now!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 10:26:22 am »
So, this is going up on Steam today, right?

Here's hoping it actually shows on the front page this time.... I still dont get why Skyward's expansion didn't get even the slightest notification on there.  Particularly since the main game did get that.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 10:31:46 am »
DLC only shows up if you click "show dlc."  And in terms of the large rotating banners, those are at Valve's discretion.

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
  • WARNING: May Contain Objectionable Opinions
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 10:32:09 am »
For a while, I thought it was pronounced Ar-chen XD
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

Or is that "to kill"?  Hmm.

Offline FroBodine

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 11:17:45 am »
So, what is the meaning of Arcen, then?   At least 'Arsen' made sense to me, you were a company of poor spelling pyromaniacs.   ::)

Now, I just don't know what to think anymore!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 12:37:06 pm »
Lightning!

Offline goodgimp

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 01:16:12 pm »
So, this is going up on Steam today, right?

Here's hoping it actually shows on the front page this time.... I still dont get why Skyward's expansion didn't get even the slightest notification on there.  Particularly since the main game did get that.

I love Arcen and the games they produce so I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but I see Arcen as very niche and very indie (which is why I tend to like their games so much - it's my niche). I don't think it's reasonable to expect Valve to consistently give each game (or especially DLC for said games) top billing. I think the fact that Arcen's games have even showed up in the main window at all shows that someone at Valve enjoys the products and wants to give it a spotlight.

They do always show up in the "New Releases" section though, just like every other game. If you didn't see the DLC there then you didn't have the DLC option checked.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 01:20:47 pm »
Valley 1, Skyward Collapse, and I think at least one other game of ours did show up in the top rotator.  Additionally, at least two of our games got into the top 10 bestsellers on Steam at various points.  AI War got to maybe #9 or so?  Valley 1 got I believe to #6.  It seems like another of our games also got really high up there, but I forget exactly where they reached.

Arcen is a niche, but that's true of most indie titles.  And given that a huge percentage of Steam's revenue is from indies now, they have to give that spotlight to someone.  ;)

Offline FroBodine

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 01:46:17 pm »
Where is this "Show DLC" option, please?  Is it in the Steam settings?  I'm at work and don't have Steam installed here, otherwise I would look for myself.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 01:47:16 pm »
It's on the steam store page, right above the listings of games in any category.  It's "Show Downloadable Content" with a checkbox.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk