Author Topic: The game doesn't seem to be updating for me?  (Read 3862 times)

Offline timtim

The game doesn't seem to be updating for me?
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:15:37 pm »
Hi,

I got the game last week, so am at version 1.000, but apparently there's been a few updates since then. Apparently a pop-up comes up on the right hand side of the main menu when the game loads up, but that doesn't come up for me. One thing that does come up on the right hand side is a red box that says that the network 'timed out' when trying to connect to an address (with 'amazon' in the same).

I'm definitely connected to the internet when I play (never played multiplayer, but Steam logs me in ok).

I'm wondering whether some of the numbers in the 'Settings' menu, under 'Network', need changing for me though? Or is there another way to get updates?

Thanks! (love the game though, but really want all the extra goodies updates brings - hoping all the background things I destroy will start giving me more objects to pick up!)

Offline Kyuushi

Re: The game doesn't seem to be updating for me?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:44:49 pm »
In AVWW's main menu, the top option would be an option to download beta updates if any, like "Found 1 beta update" or something.

These updates are beta updates, so there's no Steam update, prolly when there's a major patch like 1.1 then they'll be a Steam update.

Offline timtim

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:22:31 pm »
Ohhh... ok. So anyone who got purchased the game on Steam won't be getting the updates after 1.00000 until there's a major one like 1.1?

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:25:04 pm »
Ohhh... ok. So anyone who got purchased the game on Steam won't be getting the updates after 1.00000 until there's a major one like 1.1?

Everyone is able to get the incremental "beta" updates. You just need to click the button on the main menu, regardless of where you purchased the game from, even from Steam.

Steam, however, will not automatically apply each update, only the major ones.

Offline timtim

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 11:47:55 pm »
I am honestly pretty sure that option doesn't come up for me. I've looked around on the main menu and don't see it anywhere.

The 'timed out' box pops up as the main menu is loading initially though, so I wonder if the game is 'online' to look for new updates?

Offline Kyuushi

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:40:24 am »
Haven't tested, but maybe the "AVWWAutoUpdater-windows.exe" executable in the AVWW folder would do something?

"../Steam/steamapps/common/a valley without wind/" - Just in case.

Do you have a firewall that's preventing AVWW from checking online? o.o

Offline timtim

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:02:29 am »
I'm on a Mac BUT I went to that same file ('AVWWAutoUpdater-osx' in the same folder) and it loads up fine UNTIL I click 'Next' twice and a pop-up comes up and says 'Error reading 'Applications/Steam/SteamApps/common/a valley without wind/RuntimeData/updates/updatelist.txt The application will terminate now'.

I check in that folder stated in the error and there is NO .txt file. This must be why it's crashing? And also not updating?

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 03:18:11 pm »
Can you try and download the updates manually?

http://avww.s3.amazonaws.com/AVWWUpdatesList.xml

Offline timtim

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 05:26:11 pm »
Trying that now, but just a note - that's the address that says it is 'timed out' every time i load AVWW (notification in red on top right of screen).

Offline timtim

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 05:32:09 pm »
Ok! After some mucking around getting the directory right, I downloaded the latest update from the link on that site, placed the Zip into the 'RunTime Data>updates' folder and ran the AutoInstaller file. I also created a .txt file in the 'updates' folder which had the name of the update in it. That worked, thankfully and I am now up-to-date!

Thanks a lot, I guess I'll have to do it that way from now on.

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 05:36:58 pm »
Awesome! Glad it worked. I know some of the updates are additive, so I think you actually have to install all versions between what you have and the latest (which means the 1.006 as well as the 1.007).

No clue as to why the in-game updater can't get to the amazon storage.

Offline timtim

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 12:40:43 am »
It is very weird. I reckon it might be because the number is the Settings>Network menu is wrong, but it's anyone's guess.

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 12:49:28 am »
It is very weird. I reckon it might be because the number is the Settings>Network menu is wrong, but it's anyone's guess.

The UDP Network Port is the port used for others to connect to a server you are running. It should have nothing at all to do with it resolving the amazon storage site. Your computer/network can obviously connect to it, since you were able to download the files manually. Could there be a firewall on OSX stopping the application from reaching the web? Can you connect to other people's severs on the internet?

Offline raynor

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 10:37:16 pm »
Hello guys, Nice to meet you all, I'm new in the forum.

I'm having the same issue that you described (I'm on a mac) but here's the thing:

I installed version 1.000 last week. then when the update 1.006 came it appeared on the screen and I applied it.
When update 1.007 came, I downloaded it but it wouldn't install, since then I'm stuck in 1.006 and the message "resolving host timed out" started appearing.

So today I reinstalled the game to see, but now I'm stuck in 1.000 :(, it won't even get back to the 1.006 I had . And also multiplayer doesn't seem to work.

I tried your method Timtim, but it doesn't seems to work ( what did you write in the .txt file).

How can I monitor if the firewall is blocking the connection?

Offline timtim

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 04:01:36 am »
Hi Raynor,

So to get it working, I download the latest update from this web address:

http://avww.s3.amazonaws.com/AVWWUpdatesList.xml

You need to go to that address, and copy and paste the link of the LATEST update (usually first one on there) into the address bar and it'll download the update zip file.

Then put that update zip file in the 'a valley without wind > RunTime Data > updates' folder... and then create a .txt file and NAME IT EXACTLY WHAT THE UPDATE IS CALLED (WITHOUT THE .ZIP). For instance, the latest update file is called 'AVWW1009.zip' so create a .txt file and simply write 'AVWW1009' in it. Then call that text file 'updatelist.txt' and make sure that is also in the same 'updates' folder.

Then in the 'a valley without wind' folder, run 'AVWWAutoUpdater-osx' (probably called something slightly different on Windows) and it should now install updates fine. Has been working alright with me.

In terms of the 'timed out' message when I run the game, I'll also assume I can't play multiplayer too (not tried though).

Never been a problem on other games though, can update Minecraft with no problems for instance.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:16:23 pm by timtim »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk