Author Topic: Crash in tutorial  (Read 1520 times)

Offline jabrazelle

• Newbie Mark II
Crash in tutorial
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:48:24 am »
I was trying to get new spells in the first cavern.  When I tried to learn the first one the screen went blank, but I could still hear the music.  I tried to move around but couldn't hear any indication that it was accepting my commands, but I may have still been stuck in the menu.  I could not Alt-Tab out of the game nor could I invoke Task Manager with Ctrl-Alt-Del.  Had to reboot the system.  :(

Not sure what other info would be helpful for you guys to troubleshoot this. I do have my swap file enabled.  This might be similar to issue 0007243 in the bug tracker but the circumstances that created it are different.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Crash in tutorial
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:57:58 am »
Hey there, welcome to the forums and sorry to hear of your trouble.  I posted a response on the mantis issue you were referring to: http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=7243

Pretty much same response applies here.

It strongly sounds like you have a corrupt copy of the game. Do you have the game through Steam? If so, if you can right-click the game and hit properties, then go and hit Verify Steam Cache, that will fix up any files that did not get properly downloaded via the Steam Client.

It's really hard to crash the unity engine in the fashion that you're describing, and that's the engine that the game runs on. Almost 100% of the time when you get a crash like that, it's because of the game files not having downloaded properly.

----

If that doesn't work, I'll need more information -- if you look in your RuntimeData folder that would be helpful if you'd post any error logs that are in there.

Beyond that, what OS are you playing on? If windows, can you post the output.log file file from in the AVWW_Data folder inside of the game's install folder?

Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline jabrazelle

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:04:31 pm »
Thanks for the quick response.  I've actually been playing the game these last several hours without incident.  I didn't change anything after my post, but so far it's been working like a charm. If it crashes on me again, I'll try the steam cache thingy.

And grats on rolling out another cool game! I wonder if it'll suck as many hours from my life as AI War did (and still is). :)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:06:44 pm »
Cheers, glad to hear it's doing better, and thanks for the kind words!

Still more planned for AI War even though this one is looking to beat the pants off of it sales-wise -- we love that game. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk