Author Topic: Cannot connect to my own server  (Read 1932 times)

Offline lampasaurus

Cannot connect to my own server
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:44:21 pm »
Cannot connect to my own server through IP.

So I just got this game on the steam 4 pack.  I'm our designated host and everything seemed to be going fine, with all 3 of my friends connecting successfully by using "Find game on internet" .  However, when I attempt to join my own game, through either "Find local game" or "Connect to IP address", I get nothing.  Anyone help with this please?

Edit: Fixed.  Steam was screwing with it. Reinstalled and everything works fine.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:27:35 pm by lampasaurus »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Cannot connect to my own server
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:47:56 pm »
If you can't see it via "Find Local Game," that may have to do with your firewall, but it's not a big deal.  You can directly enter "127.0.0.1" in Connect to IP address to get into the game.  If you were entering your public IP address, that would try to go out through your router, to your ISP, and back to your machine, which would get blocked by your router. 

If 127.0.0.1 doesn't work for some reason, then the things to check are 1) is your actual game client set to the same port as the server if you changed the port on the server? 2) is your local software firewall somehow blocking you?  The latter seems unlikely given your friends are in.

Most likely it's just that you need to use 127.0.0.1.  Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline lampasaurus

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:53:29 pm »
127.0.0.1 (and 192.168.0.101, which is my local IPv4 address) give me the following message "Server connection was lost/could not be established.  Disconnecting and not discovering".

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:57:04 pm »
Okay -- so that means it's either a software firewall doing something funky, or a port mismatch if you changed the port on the server in order to set up port forwarding.  The external clients get the port from the advertisement on the internet and automatically connect using that. But your local client would have to have its port changed directly in the settings in order to connect since it's not reading the advertisement.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk