Author Topic: Server: Wandering Nomads (Closed for now)  (Read 41097 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
Server: Wandering Nomads (Closed for now)
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:29:31 pm »
Server: Wandering Nomads

Availability: Internet Advertised

Hours of Operation: 24/7 except for when I forget to pay the power bill.
Please note I run this off my personal PC.  You get what you pay for here, but I'll do my best.

Max players: 16 (currently.  If we start having population concerns I'll pop it up a bit and see what the PC can handle)

Teamspeak 3 server: Available but my IP address changes occassionally.  I will usually only run this when I'm active and will notify if available.

Version: 1.010

Difficulty settings:
Combat: Skilled
Platforming: I get mistaken for a certain plumber.

Default settings on/off:
Use Glyph Transfer: No (No borrowing the lumbermancer)
Use Guardian Scrolls: Yes
Change Skill levels: No (once implemented in 0.930)

Play intent:
Have some fun, play with others, try to do group activities. 
Bang the heck out of the Beta and see what breaks in MP servers.  Remember to post in Mantis if you find one!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:57:19 pm by Wanderer »
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
Re: Server: Wandering Nomads
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:29:43 pm »
Current status:
Continent 6 - LT/OL hunting

Current Goals:
Build up the settlement.

Currently desired materials:
A whole ton of mining.

Currently desired unlocks:
None particular
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:09:04 pm by Wanderer »

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:30:06 pm »
Information on people with admin rights, ban rights, and bans:

Admins:
Wanderer

Bans:
Anus Dookie Beepis2
Penis Fart 2000
shut Mouth Burato

Known outages/issues (all times PST):
No currently known issues.

Outage: 4/16/2012 ~6:30 PM
Reset the server.

4/16/2012 9:30 PM
Server reset for new version .930

4/17/2012 9:30 PM
Server reset for new version .931

4/18/2012 10:00 PM
Server reset for new version .932

4/19/2012 1:40 AM
Server reset for version .970 (Last before go-live)

4/21/2012 ~I don't remember
1.0 upgrade

4/22/2012 ~5:30 AM
Reboot to clear fatal error.

4/24/2012 8:15 PM - 8:30 PM
Reboot and world-zip to provide error logs for fatal to Arcen.

4/25/2012 1:00 AM
Server taken down for unspecified time until 1.001 patch

4/26/2012 5:00 AM
Server back online.

4/27/2012 10:00 - 10:10 PM
Bounced the box due to bluescreen from other software.  It's gonna happen, it's my personal PC.  Sorry about that folks, hopefully you didn't lose much.

4/29/2012 - 12:45 AM
Bounced the server for the 1.005 upgrade.

5/1/2012 - Unknown through 12:45 PM
Server rebooted on its own and when I got back I did the 1.007 upgrade.

5/2/2012 - 9:30 PM through 10:00 AM (roughly) 5/3
Taking the server down.  My box needs to go through updates, maintenance, and I need to do some downloads that are just going to screw y'all up.

5/5/12 - Noonish
Bounced the server for 1.010

5/8/12 - 2 PM
Bounced server to clear a zero/neg hitpoint Lieutenant.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:09:35 pm by Wanderer »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:17:19 pm »
Placeholder for Snarky Comments
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:12:34 pm »
Placeholder for Snarky Comments

I rejoin with a superfluous wittisism!

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:33:30 pm »
Further Server overview posted.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 12:28:05 am »
Wandering Nomads updated to .930.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:59:47 am »
Max players: 8 (currently.  If we start having population concerns I'll pop it up a bit and see what the PC can handle)
8 is just the ultra-conservative number, mainly because we don't have any data beyond that from practice.  But basically the only way AVWW-server is going to challenge your machine is if you get a ton of players all in different chunks, and then it's not a cpu or network issue, it's an issue of the server running out of managed heap space (which, sadly, has very little to do with your machine's available RAM).

That said, potentially the network traffic could get a little fierce at around, say, 30 players.  But if it does there's a ton of optimizations I could do to hammer the actual size of the network messages through the floor (right now it sends them as readable ascii unless they're over a certain size, and then it just runs a generic compression on said readable ascii; I could make the whole thing binary, etc).  Just haven't done it as there's been absolutely no indication that it's necessary :)

Anyway, have fun storming the Overlord!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 01:16:57 am »
Good to know Keith, thanks.  I'll definately keep that in mind.

I don't want to crank it up yet as this IS my personal PC and there's no reason to yet, as the most concurrent players we've had is 4, and I do like to be able to run my XBox/Hulu/whatnot over the same internet connection.  Which, actually, I'm curious to test what the heck that would do to people during a full-on CoD smackfest while 8+ ppl are playing on the server, to see the viability (I run top-end Cable Internet from Cox).  If we start getting more than 8 wanting to play at once I'll definately try cranking it up... just not yet. :)

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:35:36 am »
Really like how you've laid out this thread and hope to see more servers popping up as the game approaches release. I wanted to play last night but kept getting the black screen issue so once patched I should be on this evening.

Can't believe your taking down the Overlord already I'll have some catching up to do. Also regarding Teamspeak that's something I would be very interested in as any MP game improves dramatically when people can talk to each other and this is even more important on a game where something could pop-up and kill you at anytime.

Looking forward to playing later cheers for the server.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 09:28:29 pm »
The black screen issue appears to be mostly resolved in 0.930, you just have to wait about a minute for it to finally "get through" with the "dump me on the world map" message.  I've put a change in for 0.931 to make that more prompt.

Are there any more errors in the server logs since 0.930?  If so it might shed some light on the original invalid-chunk issue.  If not, that original issue may no longer happen and the black-screen thing is just inherited for those players it's affecting, but it should go away permanently once you finally do get to the world map.

Let me know if there are other problems :)

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 12:11:35 am »
The black screen issue appears to be mostly resolved in 0.930, you just have to wait about a minute for it to finally "get through" with the "dump me on the world map" message.  I've put a change in for 0.931 to make that more prompt.

Are there any more errors in the server logs since 0.930?  If so it might shed some light on the original invalid-chunk issue.  If not, that original issue may no longer happen and the black-screen thing is just inherited for those players it's affecting, but it should go away permanently once you finally do get to the world map.

Let me know if there are other problems :)

Yeah, I've got firebats and icebats whining about getting shifted around.  This is still 0.930, I just walked in the door and hit the forums.  A queued abilityuse.execute rejection...  A process assertion failure... daaaamn.  Ya know, I'm just gonna attach it here.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 12:24:05 am »
Server upgraded to .931.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 10:26:48 am »
Thanks for the log :)  I just started at the first 4/17/2012 entry.

Yeah, I've got firebats and icebats whining about getting shifted around.
Not a big deal, though perhaps we could suppress those from being logged. 

A queued abilityuse.execute rejection...
Yea, those sometimes happen, though it shouldn't really be happening as much anymore since we made it hang on to entities (in an invisible, non-interactive state) for the rest of the ability messages applying to it to "clear through".  So not sure what's going on there, unless they all apply to players that have transitioned to another chunk normally (those don't "stick around" as it'd be kinda bad for an entity to be in two chunks at once).  Anyway, these particular rejections (projectiles exploding, adding just-entered-chunk-invincibility, etc) shouldn't hurt anything.

A process assertion failure...
Those are more serious; particularly:

ProcessAssertionFailure while IsInAbilityDeserializationOrProcessing, Message:Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at Chunk.PerformChunkLoadInitialization (Boolean IsFromTheNetwork, Int32 LoadedChunkVersion) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
I'm guessing that this was from when Chomper was connecting, and it was trying to process whatever messed up hunk of chunk he'd gotten stuck in, and something that should never be null was null.  I've put in an extra check towards the top of the method but that's a pretty big one.  *shakes fist at Unity for making it impossible to have a release build with enough debug info in it to give line numbers in stack traces*  That may be my biggest complaint; in the .NET/slimdx engine AIW was running on through version 3.189, I could always get line numbers from release-build stack traces.

Anyway, looks pretty clean, if that null one was indeed just a legacy of whatever grue ate Chomper and Hyrf a couple versions back.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 11:03:23 am »
... if that null one was indeed just a legacy of whatever grue ate Chomper and Hyrf a couple versions back.

Great reference! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk