Author Topic: AI War 2 v1.005 Released! "Answering Your Top Requests"  (Read 1934 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
AI War 2 v1.005 Released! "Answering Your Top Requests"
« on: November 05, 2019, 09:35:19 pm »

Release notes here.

There are actually several releases in one here, since we had a few small ones we just posted about on the forums rather than making a full announcement.  But we're back to where we'll be doing an announcement for each release again.

This particular build... does a whole heck of a lot, good grief.  The release notes are very long, so here are some highlights:

• Advanced Research Stations now give you a whole bunch of choices on which ship to gain for yourself without you having to spend hacking points every stinking time.  This is super fun and gives you a lot more power.
  • Advanced Research Stations can't merge ship lines anymore (people found that confusing), but before you get your pitchforks out -- some folks on Discord were inclined to head that direction...
  • A whole new structure, Fleet Capacity Extenders, has been added.  These let you double the ship cap of any strikecraft or frigate line in the fleet that hacks it.  You get to choose the line you want to up the cap on, so it's way more powerful than the confusing ARS mechanic ever was.  And these things are very plentiful.  May your fleets be ever larger and prosper.
  • Fleets themselves are now capped to just 5 lines across the board, and the custom fleets are both easier to use as well as being nerfed a bit.
  • BUT now ALL of your fleets can have extra ships put into them to bring them up to 5 lines.  That wasn't possible before, so you might be stuck on 1-3 lines forever on all but the custom fleets.
  • The EXP mechanic now only works for mobile offensive fleets (this does include support fleets, but not citadels or battlestations or planetary fleets), and consequently it also only counts these types of fleets when calculating the penalty or bonus to EXP generation.
  • Planetary fleets could get some serious exploity cheese happening with EXP leveling them up, so with that gone -- see above -- we now have the ability for you to spend science to upgrade a specific planet.  It's powerful, but comes at a non-renewable-resource cost.  We may have some more balance to do in this area (in fact that's all but guaranteed), but it's changed as conservatively as possible for now and should skew in your favor if anything.
  • Minor factions can now be on their own teams with one another, if you want!  So you can have the macrophage and nanocaust team up with one another versus you and the AI.  Before the factions had to always hate everyone, ally to AI, or ally to the player.  Now there's even more possibilities.

The number of balance improvements and UI improvements and bugfixes is just absurd, so here's a few highlights that may affect a lot of people in particular:

• Fix an exciting bug where AOE shots were doing way too much damage under certain specific conditions.
  • Hovering over a save game in the Load menu will tell you how many times that save game has been loaded. So if you're stuck at a particularly hard spot then you'll get some feedback as to how hard it is.
  • Instigators now have a permanent notification (like wave notifications).
  • Zombification no longer works on Dyson ships, Dire Guardians and such things. It was kindof OP.  But the old behaviour can be enabled as a Galaxy Setting.
  • Different AI Difficulties now increase the mark level at different AIP amounts. As a result of this, different AIs can be at different mark levels.  Yow.  This should give a more proper challenge to the ultra-high-difficulty games.
  • The Hunter and Warden fleets now get decloaking ships, in the hopes of preventing permanent scouting by cloaked units.
  • If your fleet outnumbers the AI "enough" on a planet then all the Guard Posts will release their ships so the ships can run away.  Again, yow.
  • AIP Floor is now increased by 35% of AIP gain, up from 20%.  So you can't cheese the SuperTerminal so much.
  • Reduced minimum and maximum unit type counts in the more thematic Fleets (i.e the ones with mass Fusion Bombers).  This is incredibly synergistic inherently, with far more units in general too.
  • Drastically reduced the assist construction and repair rate of Engineers.  It was possible for these to eventually end up assisting Factories to absurd amounts - actually a good bit more than the Factory.
  • Income in general has been slashed from metal harvesters and economic command stations, as it was out of balance.
  • Turrets are no longer quite so energy-hungry, as it was difficult to field all of them.
  • Eyes can now be triggered by the number of fleets on a planet, not just the number of ships.
  • Greatly reduced Transport Flagship priority as a target, so the AI will be way smarter about dealing with them.
  • A whole bunch of balance and tuning relating to hacking.

There's just a really huge amount of stuff in this one, it's pretty nuts.  There's a lot more we want to do, and a lot of discussions I have had to put on hold for the last two days so that I could get some work done instead of gathering info like I was for most of the prior two weeks.  I'm hoping that people playing the game on the really high difficulty levels will find things a lot more interesting now, particularly with some avenues of cheese closed off but also with more strategic options opened up at all difficulty levels.

The release has been going well so far, and I think that the reviews that folks have been leaving for the game have been a big help for anyone passing by who's on the fence.  If you've been playing the game and enjoying  it, we'd greatly appreciate it if you'd drop by and leave your own thoughts, too.

More to come soon.  Enjoy!

Problem With The Latest Build?

If you right-click the game in Steam and choose properties, then go to the Betas tab of the window that pops up, you'll see a variety of options.  You can always choose most_recent_stable from that build to get what is essentially one-build-back.  Or two builds back if the last build had a known problem, etc.  Essentially it's a way to keep yourself off the very bleeding edge of updates, if you so desire.

The Usual Reminders

Quick reminder of our new Steam Developer Page.  If you follow us there, you'll be notified about any game releases we do.

Also: Would you mind leaving a Steam review for some/any of our games?  It doesn't have to be much more detailed than a thumbs up, but if you like a game we made and want more people to find it, that's how you make it happen.  Reviews make a material difference, and like most indies, we could really use the support.

Enjoy!

Chris

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Re: AI War 2 v1.005 Released! "Answering Your Top Requests"
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:43:43 am »
I love how much more choice the new ARSs give me. I just spent like 5 minutes trying to decide which set of units and tech upgrades I was looking to get. It's great.

I also like that the pace of the game has slowed down and refleeting is a much bigger problem.

I feel like the game just got back part of it's AIWC soul.

Offline Kraiz

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 01:11:45 pm »
Yeah, really fond of the fleet adjustments, ARS/FCE split, science for planets and a lot of stuff in this change.

Though, I'll miss zombifying the Devourer Golem.  Which was surprisingly easy to beat given how fast I could re-fleet during my fight with it.  For a 350+ strength unit, 100 fleet power with a handfull of turrets is enough to kill it.  Now that refleeting is a longer process, I don't see being able to topple this guy with such a low/small force as before.

...That won't stop me from trying, though.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 03:09:23 pm »
Should the devourer be allowed to be zombified still? That could be added in

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 03:17:59 pm »
Really like some of these adjustments. The ARS's were something I was particularly grumbly about, as if I went to the work capturing the planet I still had to spend hacking points to get anything from it.

Offline planeswalker

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 10:12:39 pm »
I was reading some of the "grumbling" on the forums and I'm glad to see lots of things to address them.  It's great to see a developer actually LISTENING to the community to make the game better!  Now if only I can find time to actually play it...

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 07:47:44 am »
I agree.

It still feels a little off to not be able to add multiple lines of the same ship to a fleet if I happen to have them (my current game seeded two additional fleets with Fusion Bombers in the immediate starting area).

I would love to be able to have them occupy three slots in the same fleet and thus being able to operate them using the same control group/shortcut (without having to put them into two otherwise empty custom fleets or moving other ships alongside them) -  it just makes so much sense in my book.

I know Chris said allowing this would be costly under the hood, but that's not really a good reason from a player perspective.
For me, it will always feel iffy the way it is as soon as I encounter such "duplicates"...
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 09:08:21 am »
Yeah, part of me would like to allow multiple lines of the same type in a fleet... it was just never thought of that way, unfortunately, and that gets problematic in some cases.  I would like also to have that capability, though, and I wonder if there's potentially a way I can do it with a new identifier in there, potentially.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 10:29:46 am »
Yeah, part of me would like to allow multiple lines of the same type in a fleet... it was just never thought of that way, unfortunately, and that gets problematic in some cases.  I would like also to have that capability, though, and I wonder if there's potentially a way I can do it with a new identifier in there, potentially.
Now this sounds promising :).
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk