Author Topic: AI War 2 v0.892 Released! "All Ship and Structure Visuals Done!"  (Read 1471 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
AI War 2 v0.892 Released! "All Ship and Structure Visuals Done!"
« on: September 27, 2019, 12:46:29 pm »

Release notes here.

The graphics for ships and structures being incomplete was one of our biggest bugbears... since forever, really. We always were adding more ships and structures faster than we could do graphics for them.

It's been well over a year since I've done any new ship visuals, because my focus was elsewhere, but in the last week it's been time to tidy all that up in preparation for our 1.0 launch on (tentatively) October 22nd; and that includes revised trailers and screenshots, of course.

More than just adding a bunch -- 80ish -- of new ship and structure visuals (and overhauling the lighting and bloom on all the rest of them about a week ago), this particular build also vastly improves the quality of the background planet visuals by moving them to updated shaders, adjusting their levels, and so on. I made some improvements to the planet visuals back during the "lighting and darkness" release, but this is a whole other level of improved.

Other stuff:

• There's only one bugfix in this build, which is hilariously little in terms of that sort of thing, but you can see where our focus has been. We'll be returning to interface, bugfixes, and tutorials now that the visuals are done.
  • There are four new ship variants (Ram, Fusion Saw, Kite, and Ion Disruptor) now in the game.
  • There are some other moderate balance tweaks, such as spider units being a lot more effective, weapon jamming ships working a lot more effectively and efficiently, forcefield guardians having a forcefield of any notable size, and a few other bits.

More to come soon. Enjoy!

Problem With The Latest Build?

If you right-click the game in Steam and choose properties, then go to the Betas tab of the window that pops up, you'll see a variety of options. You can always choose most_recent_stable from that build to get what is essentially one-build-back. Or two builds back if the last build had a known problem, etc. Essentially it's a way to keep yourself off the very bleeding edge of updates, if you so desire.

The Usual Reminders

Quick reminder of our new Steam Developer Page. If you follow us there, you'll be notified about any game releases we do.

Also: Would you mind leaving a Steam review for some/any of our games? It doesn't have to be much more detailed than a thumbs up, but if you like a game we made and want more people to find it, that's how you make it happen. Reviews make a material difference, and like most indies, we could really use the support.

Enjoy!

Chris

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline RocketAssistedPuffin

• Arcen Volunteer
Re: AI War 2 v0.892 Released! "All Ship and Structure Visuals Done!"
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:54:46 pm »
I'm a little bugged there's no more models coming to poke. Fairly interesting thing. Having it finally, officially done is great though.

What's the next big thing?

Autistic, so apologies for any communication difficulties!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 01:03:31 pm »
This release is broken for me on Linux; I get a brown screen when I start the game. Can anyone else with a linux machine please report whether the release works for you?

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 07:03:13 pm »
Some mucking around with asset bundles from a previous steam release seems to have fixed things. I have no idea why it wasn't working before and no idea why whatever it is I did would have changed things. Computers are so fun sometimes....

In any case, I'm back in business!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 11:04:44 am »
@Badger: Oh good, I'm really glad that's working again.  Hopefully nobody else runs into this one!

@Puffin:  Yeah, I know the feeling.  But hey, we'll be back on more ship graphics in Q1 next year, one way or the other. :)

As far as my todo list:

A. Tutorials
B. Control group improvements
C. Sidebar improvements
D. AI Taunts
E. Achievements

"Tutorials" is kind of a nebulous thing, and part of all this is also "general bugfixes and tweaks."

Thanks so much for all your help with the ship visuals, that's been such a huge timesaver!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 12:19:36 pm »
E. Achievements

I can definitely take a chunk of this off your plate, probably not all of it, but a sizable chunk.
I wouldn't be able to do any in-game UI, but I could set up the Steamworks integration, define achievements, and trigger them (provided I know what the desired trigger is and whether or not I can find and make the appropriate edits). I'm also not necessarily the most creative when it comes to coming up with achievement ideas, but I've got AIWC to go off of.

I know the steam backend part is just a lot of tedious data entry (assuming I have the images to upload; AIWC just uses the same 6 or so) as its just a matter of specifying the files and insuring that Steam actually uploads them (it fails for about 40% of the images when more than 1 is uploaded at the same time).

Offline RocketAssistedPuffin

• Arcen Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 12:46:04 pm »
We have the achievements in XML currently. A few more might be needed since I recall some AI types don't have a full set of 3, but it's there.
Autistic, so apologies for any communication difficulties!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 01:03:39 pm »
I really appreciate it!  And I think you do have the backend access.

I plan on just making some rather generalized icons for the achievements, I think.

I need a way to show the tutorials in the game itself, and then to hook them up to actually submit to Steam, and then it's a matter of all that data entry on the Steam side.

I need to get the tutorials stuff set up enough that I'm not the bottleneck in people working on that, but then I'll get the achievements going enough that I'm not the bottleneck THERE. ;)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 01:47:30 pm »
I really appreciate it!  And I think you do have the backend access.

That I do. Actually poked at it not that long ago when I heard about a change Steam made regarding discoverability (a couple indie devs seeing a 90% drop in wishlisting) and poked around to see the Arcen numbers, out of personal curiosity (TLDR it didn't affect Arcen really at all, but I also could only see high-level data, sooo...).

I plan on just making some rather generalized icons for the achievements, I think.

New ones would be nice, though we can always use the AIWC ones interim.

I need a way to show the tutorials in the game itself, and then to hook them up to actually submit to Steam, and then it's a matter of all that data entry on the Steam side.

Steamworks API yeah. That should only be a few minutes worth of work, based on when I poked at it using Starward Rogue as a basis. Though I never tested it.

I need to get the tutorials stuff set up enough that I'm not the bottleneck in people working on that, but then I'll get the achievements going enough that I'm not the bottleneck THERE. ;)

When you've got the time. :) I'd be looking at having the time on primarily Sundays, anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk