Author Topic: AI War 2 Alpha v0.109 released!  (Read 1722 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
AI War 2 Alpha v0.109 released!
« on: March 09, 2017, 08:11:25 pm »
Version 0.109 - Special Forces And Modding is short on release notes but long on impact.

There are two really major components added in this one that Keith and I have been wanting to get in there for a while.  The first one is the special forces from Keith, which you may remember from The AI From Within: Part 4.  So that's... a pretty awesome big deal. :)

The second item is one that has been on my todo list since before alpha even started, which is the unity project for modders.  That link has a good video tutorial that covers the setup on all that, and it's that screenshot that you see above.

This lets modders start experimenting with graphics, and soon sound, for the game.  But this also is a project where we're going to be putting all our GUI bits -- meaning that Keith is able to manage those assets more directly when they are in the prototyping phase at least, and meaning that the GUI will be as open as possible for people to make any sort of edits to.

Blue and Cinth are both still plugging away at some cool things at the moment.  She's finished well over half a dozen new ship models that had backed up in my queue for processing into the game, and Cinth is taking that load off of me.

Blue is working on a new version of the icons for squads, based on lots and lots of feedback from folks so far, and then our interpretation of the overall trends (since individual opinions vary quite widely).

We're not going to show off the new icons at all until they're fully integrated (sometime early next week, I imagine), because we're now to the point where it will be most helpful for all of us if you can see the next prototype fully in place in the game.  We've had a lot of people having to try to imagine how things will look in actual practice when there's a lot of stuff onscreen at once, and while people have done a fabulous job with that, hopefully we can all agree it's time to stop imagining and start seeing.  Then we'll continue iterating from there, as needed.

Anyhow, there's a lot of other random bits of things inwork as well.  As always, I suppose.  Definitely an enjoyable time at the moment. :)

Thanks for reading!

Chris
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Re: AI War 2 Alpha v0.109 released!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 08:27:31 pm »
Question for Keith from SpecialForces.cs:
 private GameEntityTypeData InnerPickNextBuy( ArcenSimContext Context, List<BuildMenu> Menus )
{
      for ( int i = 0; i < Menus.Count; i++ )
     {
                    int timesToAdd = 0;
                    GameEntityTypeData buyableType = menu.List[j];
                    if ( buyableType.Balance_MarkLevel.RequiredAIPLevel > World_AIW2.Instance.AIProgress_Effective )
                        continue;
                    timesToAdd = 1;
                    if ( timesToAdd <= 0 ) <=== Is it possible to get to this line when timesToAdd != 1?
                        continue;

So if execution passes that if() contition as true, it will skip to the next iteration. If it is false then we set timesToAdd = 1, then check if timesToAdd <= 0, which it cannot be. It looks like you couldn't decide to choose whether to add a unit every iteration or count how many units and then add them all at the end, so you decided to do both of them at once. I like the notion of "screw it, we'll do every solution simultanouesly!"

Or maybe I'm an idiot who really really doesn't know C#
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:31:15 pm by BadgerBadger »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 08:51:20 pm »
No, you're correct, it's an unnecessary check. It was necessary in a previous iteration, and I wasn't sure if it was going to stay this way.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:05:21 pm »
Ah, if only my colleagues reacted to bug reports which such grace!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk