Author Topic: Quickie Mod: Nerf Gun Wormhole Sentinels (No longer useful)  (Read 1869 times)

Offline RocketAssistedPuffin

• Arcen Volunteer
Quickie Mod: Nerf Gun Wormhole Sentinels (No longer useful)
« on: August 25, 2018, 07:50:46 am »
Honestly, this is almost nothing. Perhaps the simplest mod you could do, but I'm putting it up for others convenience if they're annoyed at Wormhole Sentinels killing chunks of fleets, while being nigh unkillable.

EDIT: Thanks to Ovalcircle1 for actually testing it and finding where I tripped. It needed the line "built_by="BasicSentinelDrawBag"", even though this is only a modification. This actually prematurely fixed an issue in the next one.

Instructions:

Download the zip, and extract it. Go in it, and copy the folder there (it weirdly put it in another folder, sorry, don't know why), into the XMLMods folder in your AI War 2 directory.

Once it's in there, go to PlayerData, in the same directory, and open XMLLoadingOrder.

Under _Vanilla, put "PuffinNerfGunSentinel" (remove the quotes).

You should be able to load the game and have the Wormhole Sentinels do a measly 2 damage. They seem to now have two of these, but that's alright, it's just a ramshackle thing.

Hope it works...this is simple, but never done anything like it before.

(For devs, had some oddities while doing this. Every time I try to mod a unit using this method, I always have to give it the explosion sounds, else the game pops an error at me. Also, if I try to partial_record the system, it complains about unrequested XML attributes, so I have to put the entire system in there, which might be why it now has two guns?)

Should note that you'd want to take these out once the new update hits, as this'd override that. Just remove the line from XMLLoadingOrder, and the folder from XMLMods.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:55:08 pm by RocketAssistedPuffin »
Autistic, so apologies for any communication difficulties!

Offline Ovalcircle

• Meh
Re: Quickie Mod: Nerf Gun Wormhole Sentinels
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 11:48:05 am »
If anybody wants to imagine just how powerful these guys are, every shot took a percentage of shield of the Devourer. Not only that, the Devourer Machine-guns them when it is about to enter or just exited a wormhole. The Devourer did 20% shield damage.  120,000 damage every 4 seconds. It seems the AI put all their science into it. If only they did this against the Spire in the first game......

Also, thanks for this.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:58:03 am by Ovalcircle1 »
Winning a game of AI War provides me with a sense of pride and accomplishment.

THE TRUE POWER OF THE AI

Offline Ovalcircle

• Meh
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 01:46:03 pm »
So I installed it, and the wormhole sentinels don't spawn at all. Not that I care, good riddance.

THE TRUE POWER OF THE AI

• Arcen Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 01:50:19 pm »
I think I have the problem - been working on an MLRS version, and encountered the problem in that mod files need the lines that give the unit to a faction, even if partial_record="true" is active. Fixed one shortly, if you care for it.

• Arcen Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 01:58:31 pm »
Okay, main post is updated now, thanks!

Offline Ovalcircle

• Meh
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 02:26:36 pm »
Confirmed working. Good Job.

THE TRUE POWER OF THE AI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk