Author Topic: This AI is awesome.  (Read 220225 times)

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
Re: This AI is awesome.
« Reply #270 on: April 14, 2013, 01:08:17 pm »
I thought the 'depriving of units' came first, and once that accidentally went horribly wrong for someone, you got evil ideas.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #271 on: April 14, 2013, 01:09:41 pm »
Yep!  It evolved over time.  There was no concept of alert when the original logic was coded, for instance.  That didn't come until at least a year later.  Prior to that the only way to get ships to abandon their guard posts was to kill the guard post.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2013, 01:13:27 pm »
I thought the 'depriving of units' came first, and once that accidentally went horribly wrong for someone, you got evil ideas.
One must be careful around here. Chris and Keith are scarily good at picking up evil ideas :D
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #273 on: April 14, 2013, 01:52:11 pm »
This is the arcen games community that willingly encourages the developers to make the game harder. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #274 on: April 14, 2013, 10:56:22 pm »
One must be careful around here. Chris and Keith are scarily good at picking up evil ideas :D
Evil ideas and the occasional food-based golem derail. :P

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
« Reply #275 on: April 15, 2013, 02:19:53 am »
And ponies. Never forget the ponies. ;)

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #276 on: April 18, 2013, 01:35:08 pm »
AI somehow (hacking glitch, I think) got a threatfleet of ~50 spire blade spawners, paired it with nemesis frigates, waited for an exo, and trashed my energy grid. Humanity did not survive.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline Histidine

« Reply #277 on: June 09, 2013, 05:47:44 am »
Wave of Youngling Shrikes attacks my homeworld. Defenders shoot back, kill some along with the Flagship accompanying them. Then the Shrikes run away through the wormhole.

I'm like "run away fools, you'll just self-attrition to death anyway... WAIT THEY'RE COMING BACK IT'S A TRAP"

They died anyway, and it seemed like the result of a bug in the attack logic, but it was still cool.

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #278 on: June 09, 2013, 12:35:52 pm »
Wave of Youngling Shrikes attacks my homeworld. Defenders shoot back, kill some along with the Flagship accompanying them. Then the Shrikes run away through the wormhole.

I'm like "run away fools, you'll just self-attrition to death anyway... WAIT THEY'RE COMING BACK IT'S A TRAP"

They died anyway, and it seemed like the result of a bug in the attack logic, but it was still cool.
This strikes me as cool almost human-like behavior. Granted, a pro gaming level player would not likely make that mistake, but the idea of "Oh shoot, this attack is NOT big enough" and running away... then realizing that the Neinzul ships will just die anyway and bringing the attack fleet back around is cool.

Offline ZaneWolfe

« Reply #279 on: June 10, 2013, 04:40:07 pm »
And ponies. Never forget the ponies. ;)
There can NEVER be enough pony. But I am sad at the lack of draconequus.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #280 on: June 12, 2013, 04:56:30 pm »
I guess this belongs here
Eye Bots are immune to Tachyon..
[...]So I got a counter attack on my home planet.. the wave spawned.. and the Mark III Eye Bots didn't care about my Tachyon Emitter nor the Scout Starship. Is it because of the Cloaking Booster x2? I wish Eye Bots were this good in player's hands too..

The Eye Bots destroy my Home Command Station every time even if I bring my fleet and try to focus the Eye Bots.[...]
[...]there's no counter those besides Counter-Missile Turrets and Miilitary Stations Mark III[...]
Are grav turrets just not cutting the mustard with these?
No because they decloak only when they're in range to shoot the command station. So it doesn't matter if getting into range takes 10 seconds or 10 minutes.
Decloak at range ---> 1 shot the Command Station.

EDIT: Tried the Mark II Tachyon Emitters too. Didn't work. I also tried tractoring them away with Mark I Riots.
What I mean is that gravity gives you more time to kill the ones your tachyon beams _are_ decloaking, which causes them to stop boosting the invisible ones, which causes those to be decloaked by your tachyon, so you kill those and they stop boosting, etc.
Aha. I didn't know they work like that^^ herp a derp.
Yes I am able to decloak some of them.
And I just tried that but without Gravitational Turrets^^ I just attacked the Counter Attack Wave with my fleet and easily destroyed all Eye Bots.

But before that.. I ALMOST managed to stop the wave the hard way. I did destroy all Eye Bot by tractoring them away with 3 Mark I Riots... the Command Station was left with about 130000 health... I thought I survived........ really... I was about to post here and say I stopped it "the hard way"!... and then I realized the Mark III Plasma Siege Starship would soon destroy the Command Station.
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA that's like a final fu from the AI

EDIT: As I said^^ I'm going learn and stop them without MilIII or Counter-Missiles.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:01:34 pm by Kahuna »
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #281 on: June 18, 2013, 09:18:08 pm »
Quick question for the Vengence of the Machine expansion real quick, just loaded it, but when i open the game it still shows only the first 4 expansions checked off, but doesn't list VotM. Am i missing something?

-Teal

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #282 on: June 18, 2013, 09:59:22 pm »
Quick question for the Vengence of the Machine expansion real quick, just loaded it, but when i open the game it still shows only the first 4 expansions checked off, but doesn't list VotM. Am i missing something?

If it shows the logo for the expansion on the main menu, you're all good!  It doesn't require a license key, so doesn't show on the license key menu.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2013, 11:18:13 pm »
So, a largeish multiplayer game. And we decided to try out astro trains, with Train Master. An hour in, there are trains certainly, but they were not the important part, no no. They were a distraction and cover for a raid II starship to sneak in and snipe off the player home that was in the middle (relatively) of all the others!

Sneaky AI.

Offline Arc-3N-4B

• Artificial Intelligence
« Reply #284 on: June 18, 2013, 11:36:50 pm »
So, I launch an attack to take an ARS on a particularly heavily fortified Mk4 planet. I succeed, mostly, and destroy a warp counterattack post in my latest multiplayer game with my friend. We have six champions.

So, of course, several thousand ships en-route to my homeworld.

Three minutes left on the timer, two waves are declared, each over a thousand ships. He sends his champions to deal with the wave, I rush to defend my territory.

Thirty seconds left on the counterattack timer, four enemy Nemesis units hit one of my outlying worlds.

Then the counterattack hits. Then the waves hit.

Then a CPA is declared.

Then, as I'm fighting off the AI, the Nemesis units take out enough of my planets to put me into a brownout.

I managed to save it, albeit at the cost of my home command station. They attacked from the ONE location not protected by all my defenses - right behind my home command.

I nuked them, to prevent them from rampaging around our territory and ending the game right then and there.

Ten minutes later, the CPA hit. We barely survived.
Destroying humanity, one command station at a time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk