Author Topic: This AI is awesome.  (Read 220064 times)

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
Re: This AI is awesome.
« Reply #225 on: September 05, 2012, 12:57:05 am »
Good news I guess?
In my game design class, there was a bit of discussion of AI. I went ahead and described a couple stories of AI War, and a little bit about how the AI works. So, maybe a few poor college students will grow a small interest for this game.
One thing I certainly love about the AI is just looking through old posts or new, and hearing wonderful stories about freak EtherJet coincidences, or likewise, and retelling those like old war stories to my friends.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #226 on: September 08, 2012, 02:23:41 pm »
Me, Vitka and KingIsaacLinksr set up a 3 player Coop game. Diff 8, Assassin/Stealth Master, no minor factions, every expansion except AS. We lasted a grand total of 1,5 hours. I had a whipping boy set up to eat all the waves, but before Vitka and King could set up theirs, they each got waves to their homeworlds and were unable to repel them. King fell first, then Vitka and the remaining 800+ threat passed my Whipping boy, way out of range of the turrets and I suddenly had 300 Eyebots MKII nomming my home command station.

YOU HAVE LOST!

GG :(
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Vitka

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #227 on: September 08, 2012, 02:42:17 pm »
Speaking of whipping boys, if only one player's worlds are warp accessible to AI, will wave funnel there, or others get them as threat?

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2012, 02:43:27 pm »
Yeah, waves will go there.
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2012, 04:01:15 pm »
Yes, waves can only be launched from one Warp Gate adjacent to a human homeworld. Otherwise waves will be spawned on a planet and move as free threat. So always keep ONE gate up and fortify your neighboring world. That is "The Whipping Boy". This of course goes out the window if you run with the "Cross Planet Waves" modifier.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2012, 04:13:12 pm »
I've actually been wondering. What happens with crossplanet waves when the ai is a warp jumper? How do warp gate guardians work?
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2012, 06:32:07 pm »
I've actually been wondering. What happens with crossplanet waves when the ai is a warp jumper? How do warp gate guardians work?
As far as I'm aware, Warp Gate guardians are just mobile warp gates, so I guess they'll just deposit their wave anywhere, just as a Crossplanet Wave does.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #232 on: September 08, 2012, 07:11:05 pm »
Mmm maybe I guess crossplanet waves might spawn directly from them.. But usually crossplanet waves start 2 planets out.

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #233 on: September 10, 2012, 10:41:11 am »
The AI is a sneaky bastard. I was just playing a 7/7 game against techo parasite and shield ninny. 2 hours in and everything was going pretty well, even though all minor factions were turned on. My homeworld wasn't very well defended yet, but I figured it would hold for now. The enemy had no cloacking ships so far, so I didn't feel the need to protect myself against them. Big Mistake, always be prepared for the unexpected.
I was doing an attack on an ARS world when the "you have lost" message randomly popped up, about a second after the warning that my home command station was under attack. One of the biggest wtf moments I had with this game so far. Turns out a dozen or so mk III vampire claws from the techo AI (which he must have unlocked pretty recently) came in as threat and destroyed my home command. Of course the home FF has tachyon emitters now, but my turrets weren't enough to stop them. 20 threat or lower is usally not something I care about.
Ah well, reload and adapt I guess :D

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #234 on: September 10, 2012, 11:40:57 am »
Isn't the Home Command Station immune to Fusion Cutters?

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #235 on: September 10, 2012, 11:44:00 am »
Isn't the Home Command Station immune to Fusion Cutters?

They are.

Melee units are brutal in many ways on homeworld attacks as they demolish several aip rasing human buildings, but the home command itself is safe from melee.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #236 on: September 10, 2012, 11:51:26 am »
they are? :O lol then I still don't know what killed me. I feel silly now.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #237 on: September 10, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »
Put down 1 Lightning Turret next to your Home Command Station to basically be immune to Vampire Claws thanks to the built-in gravity effect.  Also, unlike all other regular player Command Stations, Military CS have Fusion Cutter immunity too.

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #238 on: September 10, 2012, 12:55:39 pm »
However, Vampire Claws love Energy Collectors and Metal Converters.

Once those go, your FFs and turrets all de-activate so even a lone fighter can kill your home command easily.

Bleeping annoying is what they are.

D.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #239 on: September 10, 2012, 12:59:52 pm »
You might've been visited by Eyebots as well. Those tend to nom home commands rather nicely.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk