Author Topic: Reactions to Ancient Shadows and Suggestions  (Read 103376 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Reactions to Ancient Shadows and Suggestions
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2012, 09:59:00 am »
One, is it normal for the ships on your side in the nebula to leave it after winning and decimate ai until their deaths
Yep :)  If the enemies win they typically go on a rampage too, though the target depends on the faction.

and two, could perhaps we see a Warp gate for the production of the special ships we are allowed to build after we best the enemy?
Yea, I've been meaning to do that, just haven't gotten to it.

After winning the mass swarm of allied ships then went back out into normal space and carved through entire mark 4 world like butter. They cleaned it fully then camped right on top of the command center murdering anything that got close to them.
Revenge is best served cold ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Kraiz

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2012, 04:54:03 pm »
Potential Spoilers below, be warned.

1:  The AI for the scenarios involving Starbase attack and defense needs work.  The NPCs seem to be on FRD, simply engaging whatever the heck seems good.  Since the player engaging the Starbases one-on-one isn't exactly a great idea (Though Bomber Drones make for great fodder when trying to get a few final shots in), he/she has to wait for the NPCs to make a move towards one before it is feasible to attack it.  The problem is then that the player is mindlessly killing enemy NPCs as fast as he can to get his own friendly NPCs to set their next target to be a starbase.  I spend a whole hour doing this in the Shattered Pillar Vs. Dark Spire + Anoids 1v2 match, and got from level 1 all the way up to level 14 in a single challenge.  The whole time just swatting down NPCs in hopes that I could swat all of them down fast enough for the Shattered Pillar NPCs to take a starbase as a target.

Perhaps instead of FRD'ing the military units, perhaps give them attack-move orders to the various starbases?  This way they'll still defend themselves and shoot down incoming enemies, but won't be so clueless as to get within striking distance of a starbase just to turn around and go to another one to fight a single ship.  Either that, or perhaps a radar dampening champion hull to allow the player to feasibly directly attack the starbase? I've used the Human and Zenith models, and have unlocked the Nenzui but haven't used it yet.  If Radar dampening is added onto one of the champion hulls, he can engage the starbases, but isn't completely invulnerable because the base will spawn NPCs which will close range, forcing him/her to fight them.

2:  The Tackle Drone launchers are quite cool, except that they can take ships WAY too far out of the planet.  They have taken my ships nearly twice the distance they shouldbe able to go out of the system's radius (WAY past the 2 yellow circles), and it makes finding and regrouping them terrifically impossible.  Perhaps have the drones not fly so far out, or stop once they hit the ddge of the system?  Anything to prevent me having a play area nearly 3-4x the size of the planet, as finding units and selecting them to give orders becomes very cumbersome at this point.

3:  I play on the "blitz" combat style exclusively--Are the champion and challenge NPCs supposed to scale with this?  The challenge movement speeds are breathtakingly slow.  It's not a huge detriment as I can speed the game speed up by +2-3 and somewhat mitigate it, but it would be nice for them to get a very slight speed boost.  Or perhaps have different hulls have different attributes (IE: Zenith somewhat slower bu theavier armor, Nenzui faster but slightly thinner armor, etc.) just to give players an opytion on how they want to play in the challenge systems.

Other than that, I'm really liking this.  I just saw the Abilities released so am about to boot up and try those out (With my Level 19 Champ, 14 levels of which came from my first challenge).

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2012, 05:04:25 pm »
I'd say make anything non-huge or irreplaceable that is pushed more than >N distance from the the radius the mining golem spawns should just be removed and say it was lost to deep space or something.
Admittedly not my idea, but I can't remember whose idea it was.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2012, 08:03:26 pm »
Potential Spoilers below, be warned.

1:  The AI for the scenarios involving Starbase attack and defense needs work.  The NPCs seem to be on FRD, simply engaging whatever the heck seems good.  Since the player engaging the Starbases one-on-one isn't exactly a great idea (Though Bomber Drones make for great fodder when trying to get a few final shots in), he/she has to wait for the NPCs to make a move towards one before it is feasible to attack it.  The problem is then that the player is mindlessly killing enemy NPCs as fast as he can to get his own friendly NPCs to set their next target to be a starbase.  I spend a whole hour doing this in the Shattered Pillar Vs. Dark Spire + Anoids 1v2 match, and got from level 1 all the way up to level 14 in a single challenge.  The whole time just swatting down NPCs in hopes that I could swat all of them down fast enough for the Shattered Pillar NPCs to take a starbase as a target.

Perhaps instead of FRD'ing the military units, perhaps give them attack-move orders to the various starbases?  This way they'll still defend themselves and shoot down incoming enemies, but won't be so clueless as to get within striking distance of a starbase just to turn around and go to another one to fight a single ship.  Either that, or perhaps a radar dampening champion hull to allow the player to feasibly directly attack the starbase? I've used the Human and Zenith models, and have unlocked the Nenzui but haven't used it yet.  If Radar dampening is added onto one of the champion hulls, he can engage the starbases, but isn't completely invulnerable because the base will spawn NPCs which will close range, forcing him/her to fight them.

3:  I play on the "blitz" combat style exclusively--Are the champion and challenge NPCs supposed to scale with this?  The challenge movement speeds are breathtakingly slow.  It's not a huge detriment as I can speed the game speed up by +2-3 and somewhat mitigate it, but it would be nice for them to get a very slight speed boost.  Or perhaps have different hulls have different attributes (IE: Zenith somewhat slower bu theavier armor, Nenzui faster but slightly thinner armor, etc.) just to give players an opytion on how they want to play in the challenge systems.

Other than that, I'm really liking this.  I just saw the Abilities released so am about to boot up and try those out (With my Level 19 Champ, 14 levels of which came from my first challenge).

Check out the Neinzul Champ ships (when you get them unlocked). Those are very different than the other 2 right now.
The speed of the ships in the nebula is there to make the encounters a tactical challenge. 14 levels on your first encounter sounds about what I get on mine. And on the Shattered Pillar encounter (2v1), its a free for all actually and try and focus on the Neinzul (pinkies) first. Those beam ships hurt plenty.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2012, 08:16:08 pm »
I found the Dark Spire (?) interesting, as you could circle-kite the base to deal a lot more damage. the Neinzul was just way too hard to confront directly.
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2012, 08:29:09 pm »
Here's my feedback about the champion construction UI (having just updated to 5.064).

It kinda sucks a bit. You have to go into the UI, click on each slot individually and fill in a module, name and abbreviate it, save it, then apply to selection. Ideally, I'd have the ability to select a "current champion" UI then just drag modules into their appropriate slots or something quicker (not sure what exactly, maybe click the module then click on slots to assign?).

Granted, I was doing this while 2 Hybrid Hives were sitting on my homeworld, but it could definitely use some polishing :P
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2012, 08:33:39 pm »
You have to go into the UI, click on each slot individually and fill in a module, name and abbreviate it, save it, then apply to selection.
Actually you don't have to name, abbreviate, or save it.  Just make whatever changes you want to the current loadout and hit apply-to-selection.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2012, 08:36:54 pm »
There is something off with it right now.. working up a few SS to kinda show it.

Added: Ok. From Normal+ Champ, I clicked on Champ 1 and then MODS. This is how it comes up. SS1
Clicking on another tab and back to ship design gives you SS2.

Cycling with Ctrl+H works as expected. Ctrl+M works as expected.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:41:23 pm by Cinth »
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Kraiz

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2012, 08:40:34 pm »

Check out the Neinzul Champ ships (when you get them unlocked). Those are very different than the other 2 right now.
The speed of the ships in the nebula is there to make the encounters a tactical challenge. 14 levels on your first encounter sounds about what I get on mine. And on the Shattered Pillar encounter (2v1), its a free for all actually and try and focus on the Neinzul (pinkies) first. Those beam ships hurt plenty.

I have the Nenzui champ unlocked, bu tdidn't see anything remarkable about it other than the cloak.  The purpose behind the speed being slowed is understandable, bu tthe want for it to be tactical doesn't feel right with all the ship speeds being nearly the same.  It's pretty difficult to kite or to retreat once one of the NPCs targets you because you're the same speed.  A bit of variance would make it much more tactically interesting.

I didn't realize it was a FFA for the Shattered Pillar one.  Either way, yeah, the Shadowblades (The beam ones) hurt quite a bit.

Other than the cloak, what's so significant about the nenzui champ that makes it so much different?

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2012, 08:41:22 pm »
You have to go into the UI, click on each slot individually and fill in a module, name and abbreviate it, save it, then apply to selection.
Actually you don't have to name, abbreviate, or save it.  Just make whatever changes you want to the current loadout and hit apply-to-selection.

Speaking of naming and saving, I tend to make a loadout for my Riots, and I'd like to name, save, and apply all in one go.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2012, 08:49:25 pm »
Added: Ok. From Normal+ Champ, I clicked on Champ 1 and then MODS. This is how it comes up. SS1
The blank one?  That's really odd, because when I:

1) Start Lobby
2) Pick Normal + Champion
3) Start Game
4) Click on Champion to select it
5) Click MODS

it opens to the Ship Design tab and looks exactly like it should.

If I then click on Champion Unlocks and then back to Ship Design, it also looks exactly like it should.

Do you have a save and steps to reproduce? :)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2012, 08:50:26 pm »

I have the Nenzui champ unlocked, bu tdidn't see anything remarkable about it other than the cloak.  The purpose behind the speed being slowed is understandable, bu tthe want for it to be tactical doesn't feel right with all the ship speeds being nearly the same.  It's pretty difficult to kite or to retreat once one of the NPCs targets you because you're the same speed.  A bit of variance would make it much more tactically interesting.

I didn't realize it was a FFA for the Shattered Pillar one.  Either way, yeah, the Shadowblades (The beam ones) hurt quite a bit.

Other than the cloak, what's so significant about the nenzui champ that makes it so much different?

The Neinzul Destroyer and Cruiser get more special attributes. Specifically Radar Dampening. Each class up gets one additional attribute right now.
Something to try on that encounter. On your way way into the friendly base, do a fly by of the closest spawner for the Neinzul. You should be able to kill one in one pass. Clear off the friendly base (the spawners can handle 2 or 3 attackers from the other faction) then do a fly by on another spawner at the Neinzul base. Hit and run works real well here and when the Neinzul are gone, you pretty much have it won.

Offline Kraiz

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2012, 08:58:51 pm »
You mean the Dark Spire?  The DS were the only ones using the beams, and they were the pinky/purple color; the Nenzui were the orange guys (perhaps the colors vary?)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2012, 08:59:15 pm »
The blank one?  That's really odd, because when I:

1) Start Lobby
2) Pick Normal + Champion
3) Start Game
4) Click on Champion to select it
5) Click MODS

it opens to the Ship Design tab and looks exactly like it should.

If I then click on Champion Unlocks and then back to Ship Design, it also looks exactly like it should.

Do you have a save and steps to reproduce? :)

Multiple champs. The player champ is labeled with the players name. The first extra champ is labeled Champ 1 (so on thru Champ 7 in player 8 position).

Champs are on Dorvi in an encounter. Pause game and click on any of the grouped champs (rainbow flight lol) The grey champ is the player champ. Click on one to select and click on MODS button. That comes up like the ss. Game was started on version 5.063. 

You mean the Dark Spire?  The DS were the only ones using the beams, and they were the pinky/purple color; the Nenzui were the orange guys (perhaps the colors vary?)

Yeah, sorry. I had them backwards.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:07:08 pm by Cinth »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2012, 09:22:07 pm »
Multiple champs. The player champ is labeled with the players name. The first extra champ is labeled Champ 1 (so on thru Champ 7 in player 8 position).

Champs are on Dorvi in an encounter. Pause game and click on any of the grouped champs (rainbow flight lol) The grey champ is the player champ. Click on one to select and click on MODS button. That comes up like the ss. Game was started on version 5.063.
Ah, ok, thanks.  Found and fixed for 5.066 :)  It was actually the same for the MODS button and Ctrl+M, whichever one you do first with the other player's champion selected will fail, and the second will succeed (because you've already switched to their interface).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk