Author Topic: Reactions to Ancient Shadows and Suggestions  (Read 103850 times)

Offline Minotaar

Re: Reactions to Ancient Shadows and Suggestions
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2012, 01:53:02 pm »
"I'm on 20% health with no shields, two planets away from home. I should just scrap my ship to save time."

Oh, yes, let's not make suicide a reasonable tactical choice, that just... doesn't feel right  :)

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2012, 02:00:22 pm »
A stacking XP boost that is lost on death maybe?  Just a completely random thought, and I wouldn't make it super strong.  But even 2% that stacked 5 times (time based, mission based, whatever) would be enough to discourage you from scraping yourself just to save a little time.

Offline Minotaar

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2012, 02:09:23 pm »
A stacking XP boost that is lost on death maybe?  Just a completely random thought, and I wouldn't make it super strong.  But even 2% that stacked 5 times (time based, mission based, whatever) would be enough to discourage you from scraping yourself just to save a little time.

That sounds good, actually  :) There could even be different kinds of little boosts.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2012, 02:49:18 pm »
I'd say if the boosts are that small though, they'd have to come fairly easily. A 2% boost to exp gained every mission is very small, and each mission lasts 20 minutes or longer. I'd just as soon scrap my ship anyway and ignore that boost.
Maybe something like a champion-only resource like the unlock points are, specifically for building little champion drones that provide area-wide bonuses or something. All drones die when you do, and you lose all of that resource. Even then, that seems like so much work for something so small. Assuming it wasn't, here's a bit of what the drones would be like;

Attack Boost Drone: Confers a +1% attack boost for all ships in a range around it. Permanently cloaked, but cannot move. The boost stacks with other nearby drones, but only goes up to 10%.
Tachyon Drone: A permanently cloaked, immobile drone that emits tachyon coverage over a considerable area. Acts like a tachyon turret.
Force Field Drone: A force field-carrying drone. The drone itself isn't particularly healthy, but its force field does not shrink as it takes damage. Ideal for protecting allies.
Fortress Drone: ...let's just stop the idea train here. The point is, they give little buffs that you spend living-long moneys on.

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2012, 03:05:26 pm »
I oppose penalty on death. You pay for your champion in AI response, and a lot of the fun stems from its immortality and lack of economic impact.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2012, 03:07:33 pm »
^ That is exactly why any penalty should be very laid back in the first place. All I would want is for suicide to not be encouraged by how the game is set up. There's something wrong with a game if it's not an MMO and dying is actually a "good idea" in some situations.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2012, 03:08:13 pm »
My current guess is:

1) Add a respawn counter to each player:
- starts at zero
- counts up 1 every second
- stops at 30
- if the champion is dead:
-- if counter < 30, do not respawn
-- if counter == 30:
--- respawn
--- set counter to 0
- so in effect: die once, no penalty, except probably having to spend time getting back where you were.  I don't really want to add more wait onto that time.  Die twice in quick succession (as in the case of a homeworld defense) and you have to wait, which will deal with the homeworld-defense exploit of perpetually shielding the home command (against overwhelming firepower) with multiple champions.

2) Have it show different text for the scrapping option that says "are you sure you want to warp this champion back to a home command station?" instead of talking about scrapping.  The lore explained in the opening journal is that the ship just automatically warps back to a beacon (which are permanently on the home command stations) when it would normally have been destroyed.  I would have implemented something like scrap as a fast-travel mechanism to begin with, but since scrap already existed I didn't bother :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2012, 03:14:12 pm »
I like that solution.
I still want feedback on possible all-quest-victory rewards (see my last post on page five).

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2012, 03:28:09 pm »
Heh
I think if you change the idea of 'scrapping' to 'warping' I at least won't feel like I'm actually killing myself and getting rewarded for it. I can agree to that. Beta is beta, I shouldn't have thought that explosion effect was final. =p

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2012, 04:02:32 pm »
Heh
I think if you change the idea of 'scrapping' to 'warping' I at least won't feel like I'm actually killing myself and getting rewarded for it. I can agree to that. Beta is beta, I shouldn't have thought that explosion effect was final. =p

It's no explosion, it's ninja smoke !

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2012, 07:12:07 pm »
Ninja space ships?
You guys are awesome.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2012, 01:10:58 pm »
I still want feedback on possible all-quest-victory rewards (see my last post on page five).

Idea: warp interdictor: invulnerable, wormhole size forcefield. Now that would be a good reward. Note they couldn't protect anything. Argh, could give perfect home defense. Scrap.
It would take a ton of AI programming to get it to react properly to that anyway :)

Idea mkII: warp disruptor: interplanetary structures of the AI now work only on their planet.
Theoretically possible, though making raid-engines, alarm posts, etc not check adjacent planets would be rather game-changing.

Idea mkIII: Destroy the CSG network.
Not likely ;)  It's not even on in all games.

Idea mkIV: Give the Champion a superdrive: it can now teleport, and can ignore BHGs.
I could do that but it would have to be a new hull type (teleporting and immune-to-BHG are inherent and cannot be granted by modules), so it couldn't be mix-and-matched with other stuff.

Idea mkV: AIP reduction (Occam has spoken)
Certainly possible, but seems kinda underwhelming :)

If I get to the "summon human resistance allies" ability and ones like that, maybe their effects could be doubled or tripled or whatever if all nebulas were successfully completed.  That could effectively give you the ability to just smash the AI homeworlds with a ton of minor faction pain.  Hmm, sounds familiar.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2012, 03:10:16 pm »
Thanks.

Of all my AS suggestions, calling in the resistance (or others) is the one I want most. However, calling them at an AI HW could be overpowered.

Aw, I wanted a teleporting dreadnaught. Or eight. Oh well.

AIP reduction underwhelming? AIP is the strategic core of this game. It could be justified thematically as the minor factions you freed causing the AI exo-galactic trouble.

Also, where are the suggestions? I created this thread as an idea tosspile, but have only seen a few. Post your ideas.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:11:53 pm by Faulty Logic »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2012, 03:12:30 pm »
AIP reduction underwhelming? AIP is the strategic core of this game.
I meant in the sense of not being anything new or flashy.  Certainly it would be strategically compelling.

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2012, 03:14:52 pm »
AIP reduction underwhelming? AIP is the strategic core of this game.
I meant in the sense of not being anything new or flashy.  Certainly it would be strategically compelling.

It would be also quite good incentive to go to more backwater places that contain shadow planets and potentially even take some planet or two with anticipation of nice AIP reduction reward.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk