Author Topic: Reactions to Ancient Shadows and Suggestions  (Read 103374 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Reactions to Ancient Shadows and Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2012, 02:28:50 pm »
From the ui design of the module system and what I know of programming, I would say that the weapons bank suggestion would be unfeasible. The other modules have all been done in the game in a non-module way before and don't look like they would take too much effort.
Yea, we wouldn't do the weapons bank.  The rest are doable (not entirely sure what makes the fleet shield different from the existing one), and some will be done.

Suggestions are welcome, but I probably won't be looking at them until I'm done with what I've got planned :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2012, 02:34:45 pm »
Can we please name our champions? If I am going to spend a large part of my attention on only one unit, I don't want that unit called "Champion N."
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2012, 02:37:44 pm »
Can we please name our champions? If I am going to spend a large part of my attention on only one unit, I don't want that unit called "Champion N."
If you change the player name on the in-game manage-players screen it should do it :)  There really wasn't anywhere I could find to put a button/textbox for it in the lobby.

And if you're playing a normal+champion role it should just be using your player name.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline pheonix89

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2012, 02:41:33 pm »
From the ui design of the module system and what I know of programming, I would say that the weapons bank suggestion would be unfeasible. The other modules have all been done in the game in a non-module way before and don't look like they would take too much effort.
Yea, we wouldn't do the weapons bank.  The rest are doable (not entirely sure what makes the fleet shield different from the existing one), and some will be done.

Suggestions are welcome, but I probably won't be looking at them until I'm done with what I've got planned :)
I had noticed that the shield wasn't protecting allies and bomber drones under it or knocking enemies aside and assumed that was a feature, not a bug. Why would it be hard to have scaled up versions of already unlocked turrets? I was thinking that the reward would just let you have versions of the small modules in a medium slot with increased salvo size or damage.

Oh, wait. Probably sounded like I meant having multiple, actually separate turrets in the medium slots for the weapons bank rather than just scaled up ones, didn't I?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2012, 02:51:19 pm »
I had noticed that the shield wasn't protecting allies and bomber drones under it
It should be protecting the drones at least, and I think it also protects the allied minor faction units (at least it did in my tests, I could take fire in the place of a EEr starbase if I wanted to).

or knocking enemies aside
It's intentional that they don't do that, like the spire capital ship shields don't do that.  The fact that the Riot's shields do is one of their special features.  I think those are the only highly-mobile (as opposed to glacially-mobile) "pushing shields" in the game.

Why would it be hard to have scaled up versions of already unlocked turrets? I was thinking that the reward would just let you have versions of the small modules in a medium slot with increased salvo size or damage.

Oh, wait. Probably sounded like I meant having multiple, actually separate turrets in the medium slots for the weapons bank rather than just scaled up ones, didn't I?
I did think you meant the latter.  It would be possible to define bigger versions of the smaller modules for use in the larger slots, but honestly I'd rather not.  I'd rather have disjoint sets for variety of loadout, etc.

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2012, 02:56:08 pm »
Awesome. Now I will destroy entire fleets of enemy ships using only *facehuggers* Faulty Logic.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 03:08:46 pm »
Awesome. Now I will destroy entire fleets of enemy ships using only *facehuggers* Faulty Logic.
Fire the Ad Hominem Cannon!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 03:18:09 pm »
Fire the Ad Hominem Cannon!

Go out and be a Texas Sharpshooter!

Offline pheonix89

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 03:52:08 pm »
I did think you meant the latter.  It would be possible to define bigger versions of the smaller modules for use in the larger slots, but honestly I'd rather not.  I'd rather have disjoint sets for variety of loadout, etc.
Ok, cool.

On another not, could the bomber drones get a speed boost. Speed 80 is kind of problematic with a speed 160 mothership. Honestly, though, I don't like the speed halving in nebulas at all. For everything except the drones, the current in nebula speed would fit as a global speed with no nebula speed loss. Speed 80 is freaking fast for something with as much firepower as the shadow ships. Thats marginally faster than fighters. The only starships that are that fast IIRC are raid and bomber ships and the entire point of those is highspeed hit and fade.

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2012, 05:35:34 pm »
I really like the Champions as they are now: Lightning Bruisers. They are supposed to be very powerful. I think the main purpose of the bomber drones is for when you need to destroy a structure, so low speed is fine. I don't think any speeds need to be changed right now.

Offline pheonix89

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2012, 06:40:48 pm »
I really like the Champions as they are now: Lightning Bruisers. They are supposed to be very powerful. I think the main purpose of the bomber drones is for when you need to destroy a structure, so low speed is fine. I don't think any speeds need to be changed right now.
Heh, another troper. And yes I agree that they are supposed to be powerful, but being nearly twice as fast as fighters is pushing it. Although that may be a problem with fighters, because 78 is average or slightly above average, not fast, these days.

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2012, 06:44:46 pm »
I could get on board with a slight speed nerf, but remember that the champion unit (plus quest rewards) needs to compensate for a 20% difficulty increase, and speed helps it do that. A lot.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 07:16:36 pm »
I could get on board with a slight speed nerf, but remember that the champion unit (plus quest rewards) needs to compensate for a 20% difficulty increase, and speed helps it do that. A lot.
Also, don't forget that at the moment, when the Champion is destroyed it respawns on your homeworld.  To get back to the front can take a LONG time, where as normal units have warp gates to teleport the where ever you wish.
So, speed for the Champion serves a tactical purpose, yes, but also a strategic (and anti-boredom) one.

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2012, 08:34:30 pm »
Can there be an option to cuddle our champions? If I am going to spend a large part of my attention on only one unit, it'd be nice to be able to make it feel a bit better about its lot now and then.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2012, 08:41:34 pm »
Can there be an option to cuddle our champions? If I am going to spend a large part of my attention on only one unit, it'd be nice to be able to make it feel a bit better about its lot now and then.
Just make sure it gets lots of XP and has the biggest, shiniest make-'em-die cannons (and maybe a shield, helps keep the paint looking nice), and it'll be happy :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk