Author Topic: Prerelease 1.007H (multiplayer TBS-friendly-pause desync fix).  (Read 2644 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Here's the latest prerelease:  http://www.arcengames.com/share/AIWar1007H.zip

That version is an upgrade from version 1.006, so you have to already have 1.006 installed. Just unzip it into your game folder (usually C:\Program Files\Arcen Games\AI War\ unless you specified something else). Please make sure that your unzip process keeps the folder structure from the zip file, rather than just unpacking all of the files into the base target directory.

What's new since 1.007F (G was a non-public update):
(Cumulative release notes since 1.006 are attached at the bottom)

-------------------

-Previously, electric shuttles did not choose targets while in attack-move mode or free roaming defender mode.  Fixed.

-Zooming in while holding spacebar is no longer jumpy, but rather just focuses straight down in on the selected units (or the center of the screen if nothing is selected).

-Previously, when TBS-Friendly pause was enabled, it could cause desyncs in multiplayer when the game was actually paused.  Fixed.

-Fixed a couple of minor typos in the tutorials text.  Also fixed the tooltip text for the number of planets dropdown to make that more up to date.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
Re: Prerelease 1.007H (multiplayer TBS-friendly-pause desync fix).
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 06:35:34 am »
Patch link is broken I think.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:53:53 am »
Patch link is broken I think.

Hmm, seems to be working to me...  Strange.  Maybe it was a temporary routing error or something.  The patch downloads fine when I click it, and I didn't change anything.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Zulgaines

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 03:54:21 pm »
Works for me

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 03:56:40 pm »
Works for me too, now.

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 05:54:49 pm »
Minor one, S should select Advanced Research Stations as well as Science Ships.

EDIT: Found an Astro Station with three trains just sitting there, but I haven't attacked that many systems and I know other stations exist for these trains.

EDIT2: Free-roam units (engineers and mine-layers at least) are not returning to position after carrying out an action.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:17:13 pm by Quitch »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 11:24:27 pm »
Minor one, S should select Advanced Research Stations as well as Science Ships.

Ah, great catch.  Added to my list.

EDIT: Found an Astro Station with three trains just sitting there, but I haven't attacked that many systems and I know other stations exist for these trains.

What difficulty are you playing on?  If less than 5, they get stuck from not being able to route through your planets.  I assume you're probably playing on 7, so that's probably not the issue here.  Come to think of it, in my games the last couple of nights on the really recent prereleases, I haven't seen many astro trains either.  Might have to do with the way that I changed the routing-between-planets stuff.  I'll check it out, thanks!

EDIT2: Free-roam units (engineers and mine-layers at least) are not returning to position after carrying out an action.

I'll check it out.  I think this is just localized to those two types of units -- oh, actually, I know what is causing that.  Any non-combat ships will do that in the latest prerelease thanks to a fix I made to stop the combat ships from "dancing" between targets.  I'll have that fixed in the next prerelease (tomorrow).

Thanks!

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 10:17:56 am »
The AI needs to give more of a priority to targets it has already engaged over harvesters. Four IV bombers make it through my mines and take out a crystal harvester then head into my swarm of Mk I snipers and assorted turrets ready to wipe me off the face of this planet... then my crystal harvester replacement finishes building and they turn around and head back for it allowing me to continue to snipe them to death, even though they would be the snot out of 8x MLRS 5x short range and 18 snipers, now they're placing themselves in danger of dying for the cost of one crystal harvester. This is not a good resource trade.

The AI raiders are all too often fooled by this tactic of rebuilding harvesters, which lures them back to the harvester and away from vulnerable snipers and command centres. If they took out the command centre then I couldn't keep rebuilding the harvesters and the raid would be much more effective.

EDIT: Those 18 snipers fired for so long at one Taychon Mk II fighter that I think I lost the sniper sound.

EDIT2:

Those ships in the bottom right are failing to return to position after the raiders were destroyed. All the cruisers shown are part of the same free-roam order.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:04:58 am by Quitch »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 10:57:48 pm »
Okay, here's a new version with a variety of stuff:  http://arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,134.0.html

The AI needs to give more of a priority to targets it has already engaged over harvesters. Four IV bombers make it through my mines and take out a crystal harvester then head into my swarm of Mk I snipers and assorted turrets ready to wipe me off the face of this planet... then my crystal harvester replacement finishes building and they turn around and head back for it allowing me to continue to snipe them to death, even though they would be the snot out of 8x MLRS 5x short range and 18 snipers, now they're placing themselves in danger of dying for the cost of one crystal harvester. This is not a good resource trade.

I delayed in responding to this because I wanted to have an idea of what I might really do before addressing this.  I've implemented a new AI prioritizing logic set in the new version which should remedy this, I think.  There are some other ideas too that I have had and can combine in later if need be, but this should address the problem for the most part.  Bombers were one of the few ship types that would consistently exhibit the behavior you describe, because they always use a single, more aggressive code branch and not the wider emergent code branches.  Now I've added a little more structure into the aggressive code branch, but I may need to fuzzify that logic to an even greater degree to get more emergence out of it. 

I haven't had a chance to test this new logic too thoroughly, though it does seem better than before, so I wanted to just make this one change and see what happens with more playing before going with another change.  Making too many AI logic changes in one go can be dangerous, even with the methods I'm using, so I prefer to do those in steps.  If you have any feedback on how they act now, please let me know!

The AI raiders are all too often fooled by this tactic of rebuilding harvesters, which lures them back to the harvester and away from vulnerable snipers and command centres. If they took out the command centre then I couldn't keep rebuilding the harvesters and the raid would be much more effective.

Yeah, the AI will now prioritize things a bit differently than before.  They should put more weight on stuff that is harder for you to replace, though of course hitting the harvesters can be an effective tactic at times, too.  So you should see them mixing their strategies up more now, though with the emergent nature of it I will have to see more of it in action before I know if more is really needed to that, or if it has been resolved by this round of changes.

EDIT: Those 18 snipers fired for so long at one Taychon Mk II fighter that I think I lost the sniper sound.

Really?  That shouldn't be possible, and I haven't ever seen that before.  I can't duplicate it yet, naturally...

EDIT2:
Those ships in the bottom right are failing to return to position after the raiders were destroyed. All the cruisers shown are part of the same free-roam order.

Yeah, that was also related to the "non-dancing" fix in this version.  It's late and I'm a bit too weary to go through the full explanation on this one, but suffice it to say it was a minor glitch in 1.007H that is now fixed in 1.007I.  Thanks for the catch!

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 01:15:15 pm »
Great, I'll feedback on the AI changes.

Really?  That shouldn't be possible, and I haven't ever seen that before.  I can't duplicate it yet, naturally...

I'll watch for this one. I zoomed in and snipers were firing but the sound wasn't playing, then it was sort of intermittent, then it return to its usual drone. Still, I don't trust one offs, they could be my bad memory or not watching for long enough.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 01:30:35 pm »
Awesome, thanks!

And yeah, I'm always wary of one-offs, too.  Sometimes there's just something else at work (maybe the snipers were briefly not firing for some reason, though I can't think why that would be...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk