Author Topic: Love AI War and/or Tidalis? We could really use your help...  (Read 120091 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Love AI War and/or Tidalis? We could really use your help...
« Reply #345 on: October 30, 2010, 07:09:39 pm »
Yea, seeing the numbers go up like a good sale and stay with that trend was a bit relief :)  Of course, part of that is CoN, but we're also very happy to contribute to Child's Play.

Anyway, the difficulties have taught us a lot of important lessons, and it looks like we'll have a chance to see if we've learned from them ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #346 on: October 30, 2010, 10:00:43 pm »
I haven't really pushed on my contacts, so maybe I can encourage some purchasing.  I hope. 

Great to hear your not going into oblivion, I would be a sad panda. 

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #347 on: October 30, 2010, 10:03:23 pm »
Well, we wouldn't completely disappear, at least so long as the revenue covered the LLC fees and webhosting, but we would have to drop a _lot_ from even our worst months for it to get that bad.  Of course, that would mean no paid staff time and us needing to find other sources of things like food, which as you can imagine isn't conducive to much getting done.

But things are looking up, at least short-term :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #348 on: October 31, 2010, 03:05:32 pm »
forums and IRC are considerably more crowded-feeling than they were before..
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #349 on: November 01, 2010, 12:13:13 pm »
Tell me about it.  Good to have all the new players!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Texashawk

« Reply #350 on: November 02, 2010, 01:55:12 am »
Greetings; new poster and Arcen fan here.

I have to say, tried your demo on Saturday and fell in love in the first hour (after working through part of the intermediate tutorial) and immediately purchased the whole bundle through Impulse.

I have since put about 4-5 hours into the game, and once I 'get' the interrelations between the installations, ships, units, and resources I can only shake my head in awe at how precise the strategy indeed is in this game, and this is from someone who typically hates RTS and even didn't like SOASE (much, though I play it once in a while) No, my heart is in true 4X and wargames - and not shallow either; I typically play War in the Pacific:AE, Fall from Heaven II (Rise from Erebus mod), Harpoon3, Aurora, and Distant Worlds (yes, technically it's RTS but if you haven't played it, try it; you'll see why I consider it a 4x). So I love my hardcore games.

HOWEVER.

The ONLY thing that really got me to stop and take a few seconds to look at this game wasn't the trailer.

It wasn't the screenshots.

It wasn't the reviews.

It was the concept. A game in which humanity LOST the 4X race! A game in which the AI has essentially wiped us out! A game in which only scattered, ragtag bands of humanity must clutch onto what little advanced technology is left, and claw and scrap their way to the central computer world, and destroy SHODAN. Or Skynet. Or XERXES. Or Mother. Or whoever.

The point is, finally, you get to be (sort of) John freakin' Connor in a grand strategy game!! And that, once I realized what it was, was the kicker.

Man vs. machine. And machine has humanity hanging off the ravine.

THAT is what you need to get out there. I have seen this game in many places, and dismissed it out of hand because THE CORE CONCEPT WAS NOT DRIVEN HOME. The concept is fantastic, but were it not for a little blurb linked from a forum I frequent, I never would have realized what this game was about. Concept got me to the door; execution brought me cheerfully though.

MARKET. THE. CONCEPT. As a former advertising major, I can not stress this enough. GET YOUR CONCEPT OUT THERE IN BOLD PRINT.

Good luck, Arcen!!

Offline Texashawk

« Reply #351 on: November 02, 2010, 02:12:10 am »
Hell, thinking about it more, I even have a tagline for you!

"Commander, the machines have taken the galaxy; we are down to a single planet. The human race stands an eyelash from the finish line.
In these last days, you must battle to ensure we never cross."

8)

Steve

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 02:13:45 am by Texashawk »

Offline Ozymandiaz

• Hero Member Mark II
  • King of kings
« Reply #352 on: November 02, 2010, 04:53:53 am »
Indeed, getting the real essence and concpet of AI War out would be a good idea. I must admit, I did not buy it the first time I saw it on steam back in january (wow, its been a long tiem already...), only after a friend told me about it. Then I was hooked, hehe :)

forums and IRC are considerably more crowded-feeling than they were before..

Indeed! :) Amny new faces here, and thats a good thing
We are the architects of our own existence

Offline Ozymandiaz

• Hero Member Mark II
  • King of kings
« Reply #353 on: November 03, 2010, 07:14:42 am »
Have you considred making an Arcen reddit account?

I have not used that site much previously, but the last weeks I have been using it a lot. The community is good natured from what I see and likes to take part in teh happenings in the world.

I tried announcing the new expansion for AI War there myself, but I am not a marketing guy ;) But comming from Arcen officially might get you some more attention :)

Just an idea at least.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #354 on: November 03, 2010, 10:27:32 am »
I actually had an x4000 account there, and have posted many times. Usually I don't post news, as from trials that has been less successful, but we've had posts from others on the front page of overall reddit twice, and on the top of the gaming section half a dozen or more times. It is indeed a good site, although it was distressing when they basically turned on me at the mention of financial difficulties. You get a lot of self-important comments then from people that sneer and assume one thing without really reading the article. Sigh. But overall it's been a very good site to us.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Ozymandiaz

• Hero Member Mark II
  • King of kings
« Reply #355 on: November 03, 2010, 10:44:15 am »
I actually had an x4000 account there, and have posted many times. Usually I don't post news, as from trials that has been less successful, but we've had posts from others on the front page of overall reddit twice, and on the top of the gaming section half a dozen or more times. It is indeed a good site, although it was distressing when they basically turned on me at the mention of financial difficulties. You get a lot of self-important comments then from people that sneer and assume one thing without really reading the article. Sigh. But overall it's been a very good site to us.

Yes, there are unfortunalty some of thoose out there, and they like to voice themself out loud :/

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #356 on: November 03, 2010, 11:51:25 am »
It's definitely a hazard of the Internets, for sure.

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #357 on: November 03, 2010, 01:20:57 pm »
Yea, for reasons i can't comprehend the vocal minority of whatever basically owns [insert site here] :P
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #358 on: November 03, 2010, 02:00:37 pm »
Here's the latest update on what's going on with us: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,7511.0.html

Offline Entropy5

« Reply #359 on: November 04, 2010, 05:27:50 pm »
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not. There is a TV show on the G4 network (in America anyways) called "Attack of the Show". It's a show about technology and such. Once a month or so they do a segment called "Indie Games." I've purchased numerous games that I saw on that show. You might want to e-mail them and see if they'll show your game.

www.g4tv.com/aots

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk