Author Topic: Love AI War and/or Tidalis? We could really use your help...  (Read 120105 times)

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
Re: Love AI War and/or Tidalis? We could really use your help...
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2010, 10:21:22 pm »
(Yes, I also think browser games are silly but I was somehow dragged into it by my friends.)

Eh, I assume they deleted the thread, sigh.
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #196 on: September 18, 2010, 12:14:29 am »
Something that might help is if someone shoehorns AI War into The Big Indie Game Video Project. I'm not sure what i'd show in 6 seconds, but it might raise visibility of Ai war over there. Which reminds me, i should post in the indie games section at TIGSource :)
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2010, 12:18:29 am »
Could probably manage to get a quick panning shot of something shooting at something  :D
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2010, 12:36:08 am »
Could probably manage to get a quick panning shot of something shooting at something  :D
A 200-strong Hybrid fleet attacking a Devourer ;)  Of course, that's not really an example of gameplay, just an interesting emergent result.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2010, 12:40:59 am »
Yeah, sounds good :D emergent stuff is the more fun bits of any game (ZP was going on about how mafia 2 was boring, except this one emergent bit where he needed money so he robbed a store and got into a standoff situation..)

Uh yeah, I like emergent bits.
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #200 on: September 18, 2010, 12:49:42 am »
By the way, I just now found out about another RTS/4X (Impulse sale) called Star Ruler.  I mention it partly because it looks really cool but also because it seems to scratch some itches that AI War doesn't, at least for MoO addicts like me ;)  On the other hand, I have no idea what kind of AI it has, but their marketing certainly doesn't emphasize it so I'm expecting something on par with SoaSE (which it looks a lot like in general, but better).  Anyway, the point isn't which game is better, just curious what y'all know about it and if it's as good as it looks.

The trailer is pretty interesting: http://starruler.blind-mind.com/sr_media.php ; this is another thing worth inspecting re: our own efforts.  Personally, I think it's a stronger sell than our trailers (though I haven't watched said in a long time); do y'all agree, and are there particular reasons or is it just because it looks much nicer? ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #201 on: September 18, 2010, 12:59:44 am »
at first glance, it really looks a lot like distant worlds.

their trailer seems to involve, in order of appearance, pretty graphics, 3d graphics, some mouse movements, some action scenes. and uh, that seemed about it.

aiwar lacks ... er.. pretty graphics, so uhh....
will see if i cant find a demo >.>

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2010, 01:00:34 am »
I saw ship design and a tech "web" (instead of tree) in some of the stuff, which was pretty interesting.

Offline Otagan

« Reply #203 on: September 18, 2010, 01:01:14 am »
I've logged a few hours with an earlier version of Star Ruler and can probably field some more specific questions about the game.  I'll say that the AI in Star Ruler as of when I played it (version 1.0.0.4) was pretty lousy, though, and is nowhere comparable even to SoaSE.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2010, 01:02:19 am »
quick glances at their forum seems to indicate taht ai modding is possible though, so its generally only a matter of time until someone fixes that

Offline Otagan

« Reply #205 on: September 18, 2010, 01:04:19 am »
quick glances at their forum seems to indicate taht ai modding is possible though, so its generally only a matter of time until someone fixes that
In its current state (which is, by the developers' own admission, incomplete), I don't really consider the lack of competent AI to be a glaring fault.  It's one of those things that's going to be constantly improved by the devs over the lifetime of the game, along with just about every other aspect of it.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2010, 01:05:08 am »
they should take a few hints from some other game with a fantastic ai.. wonder where you could find them nowadays :\

also, no demo?! rawr :(

edit

looks like star ruler is more popular on the ... ahem.... *other* content distribution sites than ai war is >.>
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:07:15 am by Lancefighter »

Offline Otagan

« Reply #207 on: September 18, 2010, 01:10:33 am »
They're working on putting together a demo, but their main priority at the moment seems to be getting ready for their Steam launch.  I'd imagine a demo would come at some point after that.

Curiously enough, the developers had run completely out of money and were forced to either:

a) Curl up and let their venture die.

or

b) Release a game that did not live up to any of their expectations and then use the funds from their sales to continue development via patches.

They ended up choosing the latter, obviously.

Regarding their sales numbers, they've moved a total of just over 3800 copies (up-to-date number is on their homepage) since launch several weeks ago via Direct2Drive, Gamersgate and Impulse.  Steam release will be any day now.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #208 on: September 18, 2010, 01:16:51 am »
Well, modding doesn't necessarily mean that the AI is moddable.  SoaSE was very much in that boat, for example.  But I hope the Star Ruler AI is moddable; assuming it either doesn't have any major flies in the ointment or they can be successfully modded out, I could see myself enjoying that one for many hours :)  I still need to check out Distant Worlds, though.

Anyway, the reason I brought it up was to see if there was anything we could learn from it.  The ship design screen actually reminds me of my own plans for a UI to manage ship modules and that kind of thing (don't want go into too much detail, I'm bad about saying I'll do xyz and while it's quite doable I just don't find time for a while, etc), though of course ours wouldn't be that involved since the underlying tactical simulation doesn't do stuff like directional damage, per-module power management, etc.

The tech web idea also sounds interesting though I don't think AI War's tech system could readily be changed into a tree or web, nor do I think Chris would buy that it should ;)

psuedo-edit: Interesting info, Otagan; looking at their production values (i.e. all that 3D art) I had wondered how they managed it as an indie.  I guess the answer is "by the hair of their chinny-chin-chin" ;)  But assuming they make good on the design, etc, I'm glad they did.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #209 on: September 18, 2010, 01:20:58 am »
well, i looked at their forum, and someone had the world AI in with a version number, so i assumed it was an AI mod  :P

honestly it looks like a different perspective- they try to keep in the 4x gameplay, while ai war is strictly rts. 4x generally have customization, rts generally dont..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk