Author Topic: Love AI War and/or Tidalis? We could really use your help...  (Read 120090 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Love AI War and/or Tidalis? We could really use your help...
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2010, 01:00:26 pm »
On the download size thing, Chris, I believe he is correct that we have lost a significant amount of possible sales on the "truly casual" side; I'm not talking about people who like casual games, I'm talking about people who basically don't like any other type of game.  A lot of those folks want to be able to try a game right now, and if it takes a while the conversion chance drops a lot.

But a normal-app demo doesn't sound good for a variety of reasons; if we were to go for a true "Lite" version that could function as a demo, the web version is the way to go, and that has significant dev-time costs.  Of course, we've already tossed the idea around internally a number of times, nothing new.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2010, 01:02:49 pm »
Just out of curiosity, have you guys explored the idea of an AI War 4 pack on Steam?  Not that I necessarily think it would result in a flurry of new sales, but it would give the opportunity for some people who are uncertain about the game to buy as part of a group and get a lower price point.
I've thought about it, though I haven't mentioned it to Chris.  I think it could be a useful option, particularly for our more enthusiastic players who really want to get their friends into the game; getting them a discount on a pack that they can then gift out may be appealing to them to get people in on the base game and see how it goes from there.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mlaskus

« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2010, 01:49:57 pm »

I have quickly put together this simple animated banner. I didn't have much ideas on what to put in it so it uses a few random ingame images and a really poor catchphrase. It is very easy to modify though, so if you like the idea, and you know how it could be improved, tell me what to do with it or grab a .psd file yourself and beautify it to your heart's delight. ;)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2010, 02:01:41 pm »
Wow, cool, that's looking great particularly as basic idea :)  The animation and slim size is great for catching the eye without being intrusive.

Some possible shots that could be more interesting for the scrolling part:
1) Group of ships getting vaporized by a heavy beam cannon.
2) Forcefield (protecting a command station) under heavy bombardment.
3) Galaxy map (probably simple map type) around the border between human and AI worlds, possibly with a mouseover-path visible from human to AI territory.

For the catchphrase, trying to think of something, but one quick improvement would be "Would you survive?" => "Will you survive?".  Or perhaps split it into three:

"Every Decision Matters..."

"Will You Be Victorious?"

(2x pause)

"Will You Even Survive?"

Perhaps even do a fade-to-white (kinda like the nuke blast), and then fade back for the loop-reset.

This might be taking it too far, but the text could be interleaved with the image scrolling.

Offline cpunch

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2010, 02:07:07 pm »
In terms of catchphrases, I really think you guys hit a _fantastic_ note with "Every choice has a consequence." on your Zenith Remnant blurb.  It's short but has weight behind it.

Offline mlaskus

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2010, 02:10:51 pm »
Excellent ideas Keith. I guess I will have to record the fighting in-game and convert it to gif's, no biggie, but it will take me a while.

I was actually going to put in the star map in this version, but I completely forgot about it while working. ;)

I will experiment with the images scrolling under the text, maybe next to it, but I'm not sure if it will be readable.

The catchphrase is a lot better too, fortunately this is easy to change. :)

@cpunch:
Yeah, that's also an improvement, thanks.

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2010, 02:13:30 pm »
I'm still really concerned about Arcen's long term prognosis as I am sure a lot of us are, even with all the great stuff that has happened recently with the help of our community.  I can't help but feel for Chris, because he's done essentially everything right, but it's that folks sadly don't take to notice the indie scene, especially this new generation that's all into the graphics and FPS-action, maybe because they're ignorant or that they just simply haven't heard about how awesome AI War and Arcen truly are.

I've got some reaction from Facebook and the Steam community along with a friend who might be able to gift a few copies of AI War out, but beyond that I'm still worried about the future.
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

Offline Legendsmith

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2010, 02:19:50 pm »

One thing that is puzzling me this week is the viral campaign of Minecraft; word of mouth is everywhere and I can't figure out why exactly. The developer (Notch) started taking pre-orders in June 2009 and has racked up over 4,200 units sold at $13 a pop ($26 at retail time) and the game is still in Alpha.  :o It's a cool little game and all, but it really offers no real goals, no campaigns, no mechanics...not much of anything other than a rudimentary engine with little to do (being a true sandbox game, though). I ask myself how this came to be other than some sort of user-generated viral campaign to spread the word. The one thing I realized is that they offer no demo of the flagship Alpha product and the free version they do offer is an old, stripped down pre-Alpha version which has long been abandoned by the developer. Perhaps this is a "Draw & Charge" tactic that lures folks to the site and gets them to blindly invest in the product...perhaps it's a legion of 11 year olds that love pixelated, blocky graphics...perhaps people are getting Mario flashbacks playing with those cubes for hours, who knows.  One thing is certain, though; their fans are generating a lot of buzz on the Internet and it finally crossed my path last night in my travels.

I'm not promoting that product in this post as it's nowhere near finished and has no common elements with AI War (other than it's on Windows), but the phenomenon that interests me is this viral campaign it seems to be enjoying and I wonder how it all got started. I think we can all help a little bit in our own ways, but I think what we are talking about here is attempting to break into the mainstream media for a little bit of hard earned exposure cause AI War definitely has the meat to compete successfully with anything out there.

I'll tell you, it's constantly on Facepunch, somethingawful.com and 4chan's video games board, known as "/v/" or The Vidya.
People like it, promote it. More people see it, buy it like it... It's obvious how viral works. However, it's not really a campaign, it's more of a loop. Notch doesn't have to do much (anymore).
The way this was started is that Notch himself visits some of those sites.
Here's some proof, taken from Notch's own twitter

(SA is referring to Something Awful and that !! and string of numbers and letters is a secure tripcode, a way for users to be securely identified rather than remaining anonymous on 4chan.)
People like this level of developer-gamer interaction. It also allows gamers to give direct feedback to the developers, especially on /v/, as the post rate is very high with it ebbing one of 4chan's most popular boards.

I doubt it's 11 year olds, although with the goons (somethingawful users) the age is questionable. I know that there has been an Let's play AI War: Fleet Command done by SA and Facepunch users. This is good, some of the members know of it.
There are also AI War players on /v/ (I'm one of them and I know there are a few more, mainly because I gifted it to them). Speaking of myself, I do attempt to push AI war on my friends and almost anyone who mentions RTS games on /v/.

This is good, you've got the seeds of a viral campaign here. What's required is some of that developer-gamer interaction.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:51:55 pm by Legendsmith »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2010, 02:20:46 pm »
Excellent ideas Keith. I guess I will have to record the fighting in-game and convert it to gif's, no biggie, but it will take me a while.
Yea; I could probably get the shots a bit faster, I'm just busy porting the various mouseover tooltips for the lobby to the Unity version ;)

For the galaxy map shots, a mature gamestate is desirable so you can get a reasonably complex border situation; if you don't have one on hand I could post one of the more interesting saves I have ;)

For the fighting shots, my suggestion is to start a new game and use the various cheats to get a solid production center for making your own stuff, and use the "warp in the clowns,bomber,100" cheat (or whatever for the second and third parameters) to get the opponents you want; though if you have some saves with appropriate battles that's great too.

The shot with the heavy beam cannon could also stand to have a Riot Control Starship with a forcefield module (mk I ff, probably), a bit off to the side; preferably in the middle of it's rapid-fire-ish firing animation.  Of course, I can go back and make these highly tailored ones later, just giving you ideas in case you want them ;)

I will experiment with the images scrolling under the text, maybe next to it, but I'm not sure if it will be readable.
Yea, I thought about that but figured it would be too much with the "I Heart AI War" text also there.  I was thinking that during the scroll it could fade to black (or nearly so, maybe not completely out), show the text, fade the text out and fade the scroll back in with the next shot, fade that out, show the next text, etc...  The "Will You Even Survive?" could come right after the nuke flash ;D

Anyway, not telling you to do all this, it's kinda crazy, but I think it could be pretty cool :)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2010, 02:29:44 pm »
I'm still really concerned about Arcen's long term prognosis as I am sure a lot of us are, even with all the great stuff that has happened recently with the help of our community.  I can't help but feel for Chris, because he's done essentially everything right, but it's that folks sadly don't take to notice the indie scene, especially this new generation that's all into the graphics and FPS-action, maybe because they're ignorant or that they just simply haven't heard about how awesome AI War and Arcen truly are.

I've got some reaction from Facebook and the Steam community along with a friend who might be able to gift a few copies of AI War out, but beyond that I'm still worried about the future.
Don't worry about it too much, it's not worth emotional stress :)  Arcen has no debt, and our monthly expenses are actually really low for a company, so it's not like the company has to totally disappear.  There are certain rock-bottom-must-be-paid expenses (like LLC fees, and some manner of webhosting, that kind of thing) to prevent real vanishment, but our games aren't selling zero, they're just not selling enough to support the kind of staff-time we need to keep producing games on an acceptable schedule... so most or all of us would be looking for "day jobs", so to speak, which obviously puts a massive hurt on our output.  Of course, my perspective is a bit skewed since I'm part-time and am not relying 100% on Arcen income even now; Chris would be able to give a more concrete picture.

But we don't need to talk about the bad-case-scenario all that much, we still have a number of good opportunities to turn this around.  We just realized that we need to do that soon, hence all this.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:37:02 pm by keith.lamothe »

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2010, 02:47:41 pm »
ouch, that banner is huge >.> was thinking id throw it as my eve sig to see what happens, but with an image that huge it stands a greater chance of being removed quicker  :-X
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline mlaskus

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2010, 02:50:10 pm »
For the galaxy map shots, a mature gamestate is desirable so you can get a reasonably complex border situation; if you don't have one on hand I could post one of the more interesting saves I have ;)

I would certainly appreciate a save game. I usually play against two diff 10 AIs, lately also with Hybrids enabled, so my map rarely features more than a few player held systems. ;)

By the way, I love Hybrids and by extension I hate you.
Don't worry though, it is the same kind of hate I feel towards Terry Cavanagh for making that damn Veni, Vidi, Vici in VVVVVV. ;)

EDIT:
@Lancefighter
Huge? It is standard size for forum banners. I took the dimensions from here
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:52:52 pm by mlaskus »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2010, 02:59:26 pm »
The save I was thinking of is kinda big, so here's a couple screenshots :)

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2010, 03:00:49 pm »
nono, the size of the file - eve sig rules at 24000bytes :x
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2010, 03:18:48 pm »
worriedPlayer must be set to true if salesLow and arcenSuffering is true.
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk