Author Topic: For munition and armor boosters...  (Read 2178 times)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
For munition and armor boosters...
« on: February 12, 2012, 08:07:59 pm »
I think they should get the same FRD logic has blade spawners. That way I can keep some by turrets or longer range units on defense without them running off always.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
Re: For munition and armor boosters...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:09:14 pm »
Disable auto-FRD for military units?
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:12:16 pm »
Using the same logic as bladespawners might cause issues, but I could look into it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 08:18:46 pm »
The problem is that when using them for defence, you don't want them to auto-move to auto-acquired targets, or alternatively, no auto-FRD (no these are not the same, look at the blade spawner's behaviour)

However, when using them for offence, you will want them to auto-move (given they are in a move/idle state that allows auto-moving to targets). How is the game supposed to know which case you want?

I think that highly voted up feature request "suppress auto-FRD command" would really help out with different needs for defence and offence such as these.

EDIT: Clarification, when using them for defence to boost immobile stuff, like turrets. When using them for defence to boost mobile stuff, like fleet ships, you want them to move.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:41:24 pm by techsy730 »

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:42:50 pm »
The problem is that when using them for defence, you don't want them to auto-move to auto-acquired targets, or alternatively, no auto-FRD (no these are not the same, look at the blade spawner's behaviour)

However, when using them for offence, you will want them to auto-move (given they are in a move/idle state that allows auto-moving to targets). How is the game supposed to know which case you want?

I think that highly voted up feature request "suppress auto-FRD command" would really help out with different needs for defence and offence such as these.

On first glance I admit I do not understand.

What I want is for them not to move on their own, like blade spawners, when on FRD. They are not meant as offensive units, they need to stay close to allies. If a whole blob is sent onto FRD the blob ususally splits in many directions. Do I want the expensive boosters to run off with them? Not really. I want them to stay still.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:52:07 pm »
What I want is for them not to move on their own, like blade spawners, when on FRD. They are not meant as offensive units, they need to stay close to allies. If a whole blob is sent onto FRD the blob ususally splits in many directions. Do I want the expensive boosters to run off with them? Not really. I want them to stay still.

I guess this is where we disagree.

In this case, I do want them to run off with them. Generally, I would only use FRD when the number of directions the blob will "split" into would be low (frequently, one at a time), like on defence of a choke-point world or an attack on a planet with a low number of remaining targets. In these cases, the boosters following the blob along works pretty well, as the blob mostly stays together.

In the cases where there are a large number of targets that would cause the blob to "split up" too much, I would use attack-move or regular move.

However, it would be nice to temporarily suppress auto-FRD and/or auto-move to auto-acquired targets for those cases I want them to boost stationary stuff, like turrets.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:57:41 pm »
On another note, I do not find the the greater magnitude of the boosts to justify higher lvl marks.

EDIT: It wouldn't need much more of an increase, but it still is compared to me lobbing points in direct attack.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:03:50 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 03:26:57 pm »
That has usually been the case for the boosting units, which I do agree needs to be changed.  A semi-quasi incentive is that, if you're rolling a large fleet, not all the units will receive the buff, so you would want more of these in that case.  Their survivability used to be really weak, too, but I don't see that as a problem anymore.
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 09:36:02 pm »
Bringing this back.

Can it please work for speed boosters?

Or can speed boosters get a health buff? You can sneeze and they die, and they cost more then bombers! There is no reason whatsoever speed boosters should be in combat. They should always hang back when the fleet gets the FRD command.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 01:25:43 am »
I've resorted to keeping speed boosters in a separate group with my spire Implosions (which I never send on FRD) to keep these from dying.

Offline Kittens

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 03:15:19 am »
The one time we had speed boosters from an ARS, we always hid a blob of them underneath a cloaker starship in a corner of the system we were attacking. Works great!

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 06:25:10 pm »
The one time we had speed boosters from an ARS, we always hid a blob of them underneath a cloaker starship in a corner of the system we were attacking. Works great!

Speed boosters are only available from fabricators--they aren't a bonus ship.  As you said though, they're best if you keep them cloaked far-off from combat since they buff the entire planet, unlike vicinity-based buffers.  With that in mind, I don't see a need to buff the speed boosters.
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 07:26:15 am »
Balancing those things must be a nightmare, with that kind of "Bonuses for EVERYONE!" ability.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk