Author Topic: AI War Beta 5.096-5.097 "Release Candidates 1-2" Released!  (Read 18798 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
AI War Beta 5.096-5.097 "Release Candidates 1-2" Released!
« on: October 17, 2012, 06:35:50 pm »
(Crossposted from this blog post)

This one is the first release-candidate for our 6.0 release.  In other words: this _is_ 6.0 (aside from the new Ancient Shadows music, that comes Friday) unless we get a report of a critical bug that must be fixed before the official release.

This one adds 25 champion-related achievements, fixes a bunch of unit description-text errors, and adds unique images for mkII through mkV of most champion module lines (thanks to HitmanN, again, for all the champion-module art!).

There's also fixes to a few bugs that came to my attention since the last release, and a balance change to the champion-nemesis thing from the previous release.

Update: 5.097 hotfix (i.e. Release Candidate 2) is out to fix a bug in the last version that caused the available-modules buttons to not show on the ship-design screen at all.  There's always got to be something, I suppose.

Enjoy!  And let us know if you find any problems!

This is a standard update that you can download through the  in-game updater itself, if you already have 4.000 or later. When you launch the game, you'll see the notice of the update having been found if you're connected to the Internet at the time.  If you don't have 4.000 or later, you can download that here.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:13:14 pm by keith.lamothe »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
Re: AI War Beta 5.096 "Release Candidate 1" Released!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:08:39 pm »
Fixed several errors and misleading bits in various unit descriptions.
Thanks to Bognor, RCIX, Draco18s, KingRaptor, and KDR_11k for the reports.

And I get no credit.  :(

I guess that's usual though. Chris promised to add me into the game credits back when 2.0 came out but never did that. :(
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:14:35 pm by Volatar »

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 07:12:10 pm »
The "Veteran" achievement is spelled "Veteren."

I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 07:20:27 pm »

I guess that's usual though. Chris promised to add me into the game credits back when 2.0 came out but never did that. :(

Wait, they don't follow the tips screen of getting three non bug ideas onto the credits?

Well, that's ok (the list would be huge) although I wish the tips screen doesn't claim its true
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 07:22:24 pm »
I thought it was 3 non-bugfix ideas that were added to the game (as stated in the credits).
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 07:24:56 pm »

You got credit in the previous release, where I made the text fix you suggested about the captive human settlements :)  Or was there another text fix in this one that was from you?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 07:29:56 pm »
Could anyone reading this try this real quick and tell me what happens:

1) Start new game with normal+champion player
2) Ctrl+H to select champion
3) Ctrl+M to open ship design
4) Click a module slot

Do you get a column of available modules on the right side of the window?

I do in my copy, but I heard from someone that it wasn't showing up, which would be kind of a problem ;)

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 07:33:55 pm »

4) Click a module slot

I do in my copy, but I heard from someone that it wasn't showing up, which would be kind of a problem ;)
Just tried those exact steps listed, and I do NOT see any modules on the right side of the window.

I can still select premade templates and apply them, but I cannot modify a layout or create new ones. :(

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 07:37:54 pm »

4) Click a module slot

Just tried those exact steps listed, and I do NOT see any modules on the right side of the window.

I can still select premade templates and apply them, but I cannot modify a layout or create new ones. :(
Crapcrapcrap.  What resolution are you running?  Do you get any unhandled errors or anything else like "there's something wrong" in the logs?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:39:03 pm »

Holy cow!  You are far too patient -- it's been three years.  It was purely an oversight on my part that you aren't in the credits, nothing intentional.  I've added you for the next version, so you will definitely be in there for 6.0.

We do indeed follow the rule of three non-bugfix suggestions for people to be added to the credits, but keeping track of that is... difficult, to say the least.  Particularly when the suggestions are spread out in terms of our implementing them.  As a general rule, we have to rely a bit more on players to speak up for themselves when they should be included and have not been -- if anyone else is missing, those folks need to let us know also!  We do our best, and Josh has really organized things a lot better for AVWW, but we're only human and there are hundreds of people making thousands of suggestions at this point!

If Volatar can fall through the cracks, then that's a clear sign that anyone can.  He's been a huge supporter for a really long time.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 07:39:42 pm »

4) Click a module slot

Crapcrapcrap.  What resolution are you running?  Do you get any unhandled errors or anything else like "there's something wrong" in the logs?

Maybe a savegame would help?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 07:46:25 pm »
Maybe a savegame would help?

I can post one if you think it will help. I've been having the problem in new games too, so I can make one that is PC safe :)

Edit: Here is a save anyway. It won't melt any CPUs.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:49:06 pm by Cinth »
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 07:47:45 pm »

4) Click a module slot

No error messages, other than the "ExplosionNoiseSuppression.txt" I get in the 'ArcenDebugLog.txt' every time I start the game.

Here's the save - Reloading doesn't help.
I run at 1920 x 1080, full screen mode.  Never had any issues before with the module list.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 07:54:57 pm »
I can reproduce it now, thanks, just had to switch to a bigger monitor.  Not sure what's going on there ;)  But will figure this out.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 07:56:39 pm »
Well, you know -- bigger monitors commonly show less.  Wait... ;)