Author Topic: Fallen Spire: No Capitol Exo, extra final shard? Also, Spire Archive placement  (Read 4529 times)

Offline contingencyplan

I'm playing through Fallen Spire (first time, almost done!), and think I may have ran into 2 or 3 minor bugs. Figured I'd post them all in one place, just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding something.

The first is that building the Galactic Capitol does not generate an Exo wave like building the cities does. This occurred in both 5.0.89 and 5.0.90. Is this intentional? The walkthrough mentions that it should cause an exo, and I found nothing about changing it in the release notes. I can post a save on this one if desired.

The second is that after the Capitol survey operation completes (to find the last shard to build the Exogalactic Transceiver), 2 journal entries were generated, and two shards were placed. One was placed on a core world as expected (SHARD_Kirew, upper right in the save). In 5.0.89, this was the only shard generated. However, when I reloaded to a save prior to building the Galactic Capitol in 5.0.90 (trying to hunt down the first bug), another shard was seeded on a non-core planet I already control (BETADUP_Wavi, near the center). The associated journal entry was named "(Beta Duplicate)" and stated that the entry was a duplicate due to not having enough scenarios in the beta (possibly a confusion with Ancient Shadows, which I do not have yet). The shard obtained on BETADUP_Wavi can be built into an Exogalactic Transceiver when I bring it home.

Third, both Spire Archives seeded on the same world (ARCHIVE_Meldislea, upper left). I haven't captured the world yet (though I plan to before the final push), but I wanted to make sure that possibility was intentional and that I'd receive the same amount of knowledge as if they had been seeded on separate worlds. (I can try blitzing up there to find out, if needed.) I started the game a while back, so I forget which release it was.

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
I believe that the double archive is intentional. However, you will only receive 9000 total k from that world, the theory being that because you get it in half the time, the tradeoff is reasonable.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Odd about the FS bugs, dunno why that would happen, but thanks very much for the report and save, that should be helpful :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
By the way, do you have saves from when:

1) you could build the capitol but hadn't started it
2) the capitol was built and near completing the survey (I don't need it for the time savings, just to make sure my gamestate is as close as possible to yours when trying to reproduce the duplicate journal entries)

?

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
I was able to find and fix the thing causing the double-signal thing for 5.094, but to debug the galactic capitol not causing an exo I'll need a save :)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
From the walkthrough:

When construction starts, it provokes a one-time spawn 2 times as strong as that provoked by the start of a city hub.
When finished, it contributes the same amount to the "charging rate" and "cap" of exogalactic strikeforces as a city hub.

Looks like the AI is supposed to respond like you built another city hub, and it is consistent with what I have experienced playing FS games. With 5 hubs and the capitol, the Exos would be 6 hubs in strength and timing.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
I was able to find and fix the thing causing the double-signal thing for 5.094, but to debug the galactic capitol not causing an exo I'll need a save :)
Quote from: Release Notes for 5.094
Fixed a bug where the fallen spire campaign could spawn two of the same shard-signal.
Thanks to contingencyplan for the report and save.
How... appropriate.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
How... appropriate.
How could I have missed that?  My punmaster badge just got revoked.

Offline contingencyplan

Sorry, completely forgot you asked for one (and RL etc.). Lemme see if I have time tomorrow. What was causing the double-signal bug, out of curiosity?

Quote from: Release Notes for 5.094
Fixed a bug where the fallen spire campaign could spawn two of the same shard-signal.
Thanks to contingencyplan for the report and save.
How... appropriate.

That is fantastic. :D

Especially because the shard in the save was the final one - the "main" instance was on a core world, as expected, while the "duplicate" was on a world that I controlled and was about 8 hops from my HW iirc. The thought crossed my mind a few times, especially after the first time I triggered the showdown to see how strong of a response I should expect (protip: no significant effort towards defense === gg).

I was also tempted to grab both the "main" and the "duplicate" instances (and try building 2 Exogalactic Transceivers) out of curiosity. However, I wanted to finish it the "right" way. Oh well. :(

As far as the galactic capitol, I think it might have just added to the currently accumulating Fallen Spire Exo. I played on Spirecraft 3, rather than the "normal" 4; same for Golems [which I need to come back to that thread / dissertation too], Botnet, and Spirecraft. During my real-effort showdown, the "Fallen Spire Exo about to spawn" message showed up a number of times (vs. the "on their way message"), so that might be related.

As a related curiosity, I didn't receive any achievements for finishing the campaign (i.e., "the Spire personally wished the AI the best of luck with its future endeavors" one) --- is that related to the minor faction level? If so, will it work for a level != 4? Just want to ask before I commit to my multi-HW redux with Exos, Hives, and Adv Hives at 5 --- hundreds of Hives outside my homeworlds is a bit... disconcerting.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
What was causing the double-signal bug, out of curiosity?
Some old-version-correction code I had to make sure it spawned a shard for games from some ancient LotS-beta version that hadn't spawned them :)

As a related curiosity, I didn't receive any achievements for finishing the campaign (i.e., "the Spire personally wished the AI the best of luck with its future endeavors" one) --- is that related to the minor faction level? If so, will it work for a level != 4? Just want to ask before I commit to my multi-HW redux with Exos, Hives, and Adv Hives at 5 --- hundreds of Hives outside my homeworlds is a bit... disconcerting.
It works if FS is set to >= 4; if yours was and you don't have the achievement, I can take a look at a save from just before winning to make sure it triggers properly.  You should get an achievement for winning that way (or any FS way, really, unless you already have the achievement).

Offline contingencyplan

What was causing the double-signal bug, out of curiosity?
Some old-version-correction code I had to make sure it spawned a shard for games from some ancient LotS-beta version that hadn't spawned them :)

It works if FS is set to >= 4; if yours was and you don't have the achievement, I can take a look at a save from just before winning to make sure it triggers properly.  You should get an achievement for winning that way (or any FS way, really, unless you already have the achievement).

Ah, okay. All the Exo factions were set to 3, so that would be why I didn't get that achievement then.

As requested, here's (FINALLY) a save demonstrating the Galactic Capitol problem. I built mine on Darkenan, one hop north of my home. No exo wave spawns for it, either when construction begins or when construction ends. The survey operation also completes without any exos spawning, though the warning for the (regular?) FS exo appears partway through and appears to be increasing at a rate of 2% / min.

Again, this may be related to my FS faction intensity of 3, but iirc every city that I built caused an immediate Exo response, regardless of whether there was already one in the works or not.