Author Topic: AI War Beta 5.040-5.041 Reenergized  (Read 9251 times)

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
Re: AI War Beta 5.040 Reenergized
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 06:06:20 pm »
I proposed earlier somewhere that the self-damage is tied to when they fire their weapon, as opposed to just not being put into stand down mode (formerly, low power mode). This would simulate a similar effect (using it costs you resources if you want to keep it alive), but without the micro (when not in use, aka. not firing at anything, no self-damage).
Of course this would require some balancing (how much self damage per shot for each golem?) and probably something like auto-standdown once it gets to like 10% health or something (maybe configurable with a control option) so it doesn't kill itself without you noticing.

This sounds like it would fit. Where is your mantis link, good sir? I desire to place my rubber stamp of approval on it.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 06:10:43 pm »

Heh, I was constantly doing this.

Commander: "Back in your cryopods people!  Settlement #2 is being taken offline!"
People: "Awww, AGAIN?!"
I really like this! If the simulation went down to that level, you might see lower efficiency over time for the human unit you keep flipping on and off.
Yea, they really don't like it when you flip them off.

They'll only care till the oxygen runs out ;)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »
They'll only care till the oxygen runs out ;)
And people think the AI is the badguy ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: AI War Beta 5.040-5.041 Reenergized
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 06:41:38 pm »
It was poor engineering practices to leave off safety locks on the airlocks. Whoever was their EH&S guy should have gotten fired for missing that. Good thing for them they upgraded.

We were just uhh, pointing out the flaw in their design.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 07:12:06 pm »
It was poor engineering practices to leave off safety locks on the airlocks. Whoever was their EH&S guy should have gotten fired for missing that. Good thing for them they upgraded.

We were just uhh, pointing out the flaw in their design.

Dorfy !!SCIENCE!! FTW  ;D
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 09:03:04 pm »
I am ashamed to say, I'm not quite sure what Dorfy is actually... and even google has failed me in finding a definition.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2012, 09:20:00 pm »
Quote from: Prerelease 5.042 Release Notes
The textbox improvements from AVWW have been backported to AI War.

Hooray!

The textbox glitchiness has been one of the most fustrating things about AI War lately. Glad to see some of the new UI work/library/widgets/whatever being brought into AI War. Thanks Chris. :) (And yes, it was Chris, not Kieth, who made this particular change, if the author of that note in the release notes is to be trusted)

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2012, 09:34:05 pm »
I really like this! If the simulation went down to that level, you might see lower efficiency over time for the human unit you keep flipping on and off.
Yea, they really don't like it when you flip them off.

...You walked right into that one.  ;D

I proposed earlier somewhere that the self-damage is tied to when they fire their weapon, as opposed to just not being put into stand down mode (formerly, low power mode). This would simulate a similar effect (using it costs you resources if you want to keep it alive), but without the micro (when not in use, aka. not firing at anything, no self-damage).
Of course this would require some balancing (how much self damage per shot for each golem?) and probably something like auto-standdown once it gets to like 10% health or something (maybe configurable with a control option) so it doesn't kill itself without you noticing.

This sounds like it would fit. Where is your mantis link, good sir? I desire to place my rubber stamp of approval on it.

Actually,  I posted the idea somewhere in a thread on the forum, and of course it has been lost to the "sands of time" (or rather, lost to the cruddy search engine...)

So, I've made the mantis post. Vote up if you like.

Offline Bognor

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2012, 10:31:18 pm »
I am ashamed to say, I'm not quite sure what Dorfy is actually... and even google has failed me in finding a definition.
There seems to be a lot of overlap between the fan bases of AI War and Dwarf Fortress.  "Dorf" is a familiar and often patronizing synonym for "Dwarf".
Your computer can help defeat malaria!
Please visit the World Community Grid to find out how.

Offline Drjones013

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2012, 11:44:54 pm »
What if there were certain planets that gave off more energy than others? That way you couldn't just *build* power stations, you could only harness varying degrees of power from certain systems.

Could seriously change some play styles if that happened.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 12:07:30 am »
Planets already give different amounts of metal and crystal.  I'd rather energy be the same per planet to keep it a bit more different.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 12:32:40 am »
Ahh, I played DF a little. And saw a few hits related to it when I googled, but not enough to know what exactly it was referring to. Thanks!

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2012, 01:23:23 am »
There seems to be a lot of overlap between the fan bases of AI War and Dwarf Fortress.  "Dorf" is a familiar and often patronizing synonym for "Dwarf".

Dead on target.  Dwarves have this horrible habit of doing the stupidest things... like walking directly into your razor disk traps, cutting the channel backwards (and thus trapping themselves) and any other number of wisdoms handed down throughout the ages.  The only problem is that young dwarves hear these stories of warnings and think their parents are explaining to them how "things are done"... and thus the cycle continues.
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2012, 07:25:03 am »

Dead on target.  Dwarves have this horrible habit of doing the stupidest things... like walking directly into your razor disk traps, cutting the channel backwards (and thus trapping themselves) and any other number of wisdoms handed down throughout the ages.  The only problem is that young dwarves hear these stories of warnings and think their parents are explaining to them how "things are done"... and thus the cycle continues.
Why didn't you just say "fun"?
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 02:29:41 pm »
Did the syntax for the lobby scripts ever get simplified? I want to make a few scripts, but I don't want to have to puzzle it out, only to have it become outdated by next patch.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk