Author Topic: AI War Beta 5.001 Released!  (Read 6954 times)

Offline Malibu Stacey

Re: AI War Beta 5.001 Released!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 11:07:59 am »
Ah I've never seen it happen before so I thought it might be a post-5.0 artifact but if it always happens it's probably fine.

Some observations of my 2 hours in a v5.001 campaign (80 planet simple style map, epic speed, normal ship caps, no expansions active &  normal ship types)

Shield Bearers are still win machines when coupled with a few engineers. I started with them as my bonus ship & have unlocked mark II's. Using full cap of both mark I's & mark II's (24 & 22 respectively) with a full cap of mark II fighters, mark II bombers, full caps of all the free unlock starships & 3 mark I engineers I've yet to lose a ship when assaulting AI worlds. May want to look at reducing the FF radius they project as it's big enough that when one takes enough damage, another ends up covering it while the damaged one gets repaired.

My old lame tactic of using reclamators (Leech SS and/or Parasites if available) to build up a massive blob of free ships including types I couldn't build myself isn't possible any more due to the changes to the AI Eye & reclamators which is a good thing. AI Eyes in 4.0 used to be a walkover using that tactic as you'd reclaim units so fast you'd be able to just head straight to the AI Eye & kill it using the ships it spawned itself. I haven't got Parasites to play with yet but Leech SS seem to do enough damage to AI units that they are reclaimed with full health however I guess this is balanced in that they only fire one shot at a time.

MRS appears to be quite 'niche' now. May need it's knowledge unlock amount lowered from 4K as I see no reason why I would unlock it when I can unlock mark II & mark III engineers for the same amount of knowledge which are vastly more useful in v5.0 in my opinion.

Core Shield Generators are a great addition from what I can see. I haven't played long enough to get to an AI homeworld but I like how they force your hand with taking certain systems. I didn't particularly like the old mechanic of forcing you to kill all the guard posts in a AI core system before you could take out the AI core as it locked you in to a certain way to tackling the AI homeworlds.

My first ARS gave me Space Planes. Not sure if I like them or not yet. Also I've just unlocked mark I Riot SS as one of the AI's has Raptors which I keep having to send my Raid SS after since they like to kite. Hopefully the Riot SS will be able to pick them off or at least slow them down so I can kill them easier.

All in all, loving the changes. No complaints so far =)

Offline Giegue

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 02:14:10 am »
holy crap! I leave AI war for a few months and its already a 5.0!

Offline raptor331

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 12:23:33 am »
holy crap! I leave AI war for a few months and its already a 5.0!

I feel your pain sir
I plan on buying this new light of the spire some time.

I remember when zenith remnant came out *sniff* so long ago...

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 08:01:44 am »
I miss the old leech parasites.. setting up efficent farms was fun

Offline Malibu Stacey

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 09:16:15 am »

An efficient farm in 4.021 consisted of
1 - Find system with AI Eye.
2 - park reclamators + MRS near it.
3 - blob the system to trigger the AI Eye.
4 - ?
5 - profit!

The AI Eye would counter-blob you, you'd reclaim the AI blob which would trigger the AI Eye to blob you ad infinitum. It was so lame it made the game a walkover as you could practically generate units anywhere in the galaxy.

Offline raptor331

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 09:43:52 am »

X got rid of that :O

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 03:45:32 pm »

X got rid of that :O

You can still farm somewhat with parasites, but not with "non-stop continuous spawning" buildings. Also, thanks to the new parasite mechanics (as of 5.001), farming for high level ships is much, much harder (but still possible).

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 12:44:51 pm »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk