Author Topic: Slow Game  (Read 4033 times)

Offline jadedamion

• Newbie Mark III
Slow Game
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:45:02 am »
ok i have a beast of a computer FX line 6 core radeon 6950 2gig x2 16gigs ram so on so forth not a sloutch here that being said i dont understand what causes the game to run slow.. i have the same problem with other games of massive scale SupCom Forged alliance large maps lots of units, ai wars 120 system multiple bases 3-4k units in play myself/computer so on so forth same thing with Sins of a solar empire custom map lots of stars 20+ planets per star so on so forth i just dont understand why the games slow down and was curious if someone can give me a little understanding

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
Re: Slow Game
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:42:37 am »
I don't know why AI War is slow/heavy.
But disabling Munitions/Armor Boost Lines helps a lot. If that doesn't help enough. Disabled Explosions, that helps even more. Shouldn't have to disable those though. I've also enabled Sort Ship Textures. Also when I start/load a game I go trough all the ships in the game by pressing F1.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:45:52 am by Kahuna »
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:49:26 am »
Welcome.

There are a couple things I would look at.

First off, I see you mention a 120 system game with multiple bases (I assume you mean systems). AI War simply has the ability to get so many units into a fight that it would slow down the fastest computer out there.

Having said that, do you have a save you could upload so other people could run it and compare what speeds their computers are getting?

The other thing to look at is the "Unit Caps" option, this was added so there would be fewer units on screen. The next game you start, try the Ultra Low setting and see if that helps your performance issues at all.

D.

Offline jadedamion

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 12:08:07 pm »
i was just really hoping that the new computer would make the differnce i mean i can get alittle more performance out of turning down settings but whats the point high end graffix cards lol. Where would i upload a save too?

Offline jadedamion

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:20:36 pm »
ohh lol where is the game saved at?
default will do if anyone remembers it

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:23:57 pm »
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ai war fleet command\RuntimeData\Save

and when writing a reply/post click "Additional Options" under the window where you write. Then click the Choose File button, go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ai war fleet command\RuntimeData\Save" and select what you want to upload.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline jadedamion

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 12:30:44 pm »
take any part or all of the fleet and attack Nowquonchr 2 hops from the chock point straight up well almost straight.. what do you think more ram... better cards not that many are better... lol it drives me crazy

Offline jadedamion

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 12:33:00 pm »
wow cant believe i did that lol "choke"
and ohh yea i'm a patch behind i havnt updated yet because i just started playing again trying to get back into the swing of things
not to sure if i'm diggn the new energy generators
and is it even possible to beat a AI 9 me and a friend tried 1 base each (not the crazyness i'm trying now lol) and we just got ROFLSTOMPED
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:36:36 pm by jadedamion »

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 12:46:30 pm »
lmao no wonder it's laggy as hell. I see you started with 5 home planets. And when the AI attacked there's 9819 ships on 1 planet and 14684 more in carriers. I recommend playing with 1 home planet and normal unit caps.

Also I don't think there's ever more than ~200 units on screen at once in Supreme Commander. Dunno haven't played that for ages.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline jadedamion

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 12:49:31 pm »
so no MASSIVE battles then damn lol was affraid you'd say that.
me and a few buddies play SCFA max settings 1k unit max so at any givin time there are about 3k units in play it gets slow but one of thier computers isnt up to par..

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 01:04:56 pm »
is it even possible to beat a AI 9 me and a friend tried 1 base each (not the crazyness i'm trying now lol) and we just got ROFLSTOMPED
I haven't played much recently (after the changes to the difficulty). The difficulty of high difficulty levels were increased because me and few other players beat 10 diff in an honest game (10 diff is meant to be impossible without cheesy stuff/tactics).

9 diff is probably harder than before but still possible. I tested 9.3 diff some days ago and the first 2 hours I played felt quite easy. Of course what feels easy depends on how much you have played the game etc. I like to play very defensively and only unlock MarkIIs of all fleet ships by the end of the game. You can also read some of the After Action Reports for new ideas and strategies.

I think it's still possible to honestly beat 10 diff but I've been too tired to "tryhard" it. With 3 Exos 10 is impossible (without cheesy stuff) though. The next time I'll only enable Hard Spirecraft and disable the other Exos.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 01:06:57 pm »
so no MASSIVE battles then damn lol was affraid you'd say that.
me and a few buddies play SCFA max settings 1k unit max so at any givin time there are about 3k units in play it gets slow but one of thier computers isnt up to par..
I once played a game with ~20k units in Rome Total War. I still had my old computer back then.. LOL that was fun. Oh and it was online.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 01:10:49 pm »
Cinth has managed some pretty crazy massive battles lately with his "I'm just trolling the AI" chokepoints, but that's with turning everything off that can be turned off, and I think it still slows down a lot for him.

Partly it has to do with the Unity engine's limits on how much managed heap memory we can allocate, so you wind up with a lot of time spent in garbage collection, etc.

Partly it's just that thousands of ships vs thousands of ships means many millions of computations to get even halfway efficient target lists, etc.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 01:12:54 pm »
lmao no wonder it's laggy as hell. I see you started with 5 home planets. And when the AI attacked there's 9819 ships on 1 planet and 14684 more in carriers. I recommend playing with 1 home planet and normal unit caps.

Also I don't think there's ever more than ~200 units on screen at once in Supreme Commander. Dunno haven't played that for ages.

10K active units in the same system?

That will kill any computer. I'm  not at home at the moment but I would expect that to kill my rig and it's an i7-920 with 6 gigs of ram.

I saw you made a comment about the video card earlier, AI war is primarily dependent on the CPU for how well it performs.

Not to say the video card does not matter but the background targeting calculations are the major bottleneck with that many ships on the screen at once.

D.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 02:30:51 pm »
Cinth has managed some pretty crazy massive battles lately with his "I'm just trolling the AI" chokepoints, but that's with turning everything off that can be turned off, and I think it still slows down a lot for him.

Partly it has to do with the Unity engine's limits on how much managed heap memory we can allocate, so you wind up with a lot of time spent in garbage collection, etc.

Partly it's just that thousands of ships vs thousands of ships means many millions of computations to get even halfway efficient target lists, etc.

;D 

~11k ships in a system makes my game drag... slide-show graphics, but the battle rages on. Yeah, I also have everything disabled in the graphics settings. I also tool around with the performance profiles.  I'm hoping that the Unity upgrade will help it some, but I'm sure I'll find the next limit  :D
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk