Author Topic: AI War - Linux installer  (Read 30702 times)

Offline ldlework

Re: AI War - Linux installer
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2009, 03:52:38 pm »
Oh what the hell. Now I'm getting an error on the 3.5 install.

"The program PrintFilterPipelineSvc.exe has encountered a seriously problem and needs to close.." which causes the installer to close.

ldlework's head explodes

Well the install seems to be on going! so who knows. we'll see if it works. (Wtf)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:54:30 pm by ldlework »

Offline AcidWeb

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2009, 03:56:36 pm »
Oh what the hell. Now I'm getting an error on the 3.5 install.

"The program PrintFilterPipelineSvc.exe has encountered a seriously problem and needs to close.." which causes the installer to close.

ldlework's head explodes

Well the install seems to be on going! so who knows. we'll see if it works. (Wtf)

Yes even if PrintFilterPipelineSvc.exe explodes installation will succeed.

Offline ldlework

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2009, 04:06:05 pm »
Well fontfix didn't fix anything. The Fonts/ folder is empty. I hope this means something!

Offline AcidWeb

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2009, 04:11:15 pm »
Well fontfix didn't fix anything. The Fonts/ folder is empty. I hope this means something!

You got ttf-oriya-fontsĀ­ package installed?

Offline ldlework

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2009, 04:22:17 pm »
I uninstalled it. Same error. I do believe this is a font issue as I've now seen the part in the error message that I think you're looking at.

I also see some stuff on winehq about this.

Offline ldlework

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2009, 04:23:46 pm »
I wish we could force it to tell us what the font its failing to load is....

Offline ldlework

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2009, 05:10:49 pm »
So I fixed it. Instead of deleting some of those fonts I simply renamed them. Apparently this wasn't good enough as they were still found. Unfortunately I'm experiencing the same issue with the background over-drawing the GUI elements and the game is impossible to play. Well that was all for naught. Thanks for the help!

Offline AcidWeb

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2009, 01:49:35 pm »
So I fixed it. Instead of deleting some of those fonts I simply renamed them. Apparently this wasn't good enough as they were still found. Unfortunately I'm experiencing the same issue with the background over-drawing the GUI elements and the game is impossible to play. Well that was all for naught. Thanks for the help!

Yup this is common. For now I'm freezing this project and wait for better .NET 3.5 support in Wine. At 95% computers it not work so for now I'm wasting time  :-\

Anybody here got any luck in using AI War thru Wine?

Offline ldlework

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2009, 03:49:27 pm »
Maybe its something that Chris could change in the way he draws to the screen to fix this issue. Proactivity ftw?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2009, 03:55:26 pm »
Maybe its something that Chris could change in the way he draws to the screen to fix this issue. Proactivity ftw?

Most likely this is simply a bug in Wine's support of some aspect of DirectX or .NET 3.1.  The way that the game assets are rendered is via discrete sprite batches that are sent to the GPU in multiple calls, and if it is mixing the data from one call with the data from a prior call, then that's a pretty serious problem with the emulation.  I don't know that that's what is happening, but from what I have read so far that is what it sounds like.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline AcidWeb

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2009, 05:14:48 pm »

There are two problems:
a) .NET 3.5 don`t install completely - some parts (Like WPF presentation framework) just blow up :)
b) They are still problems with DirectX renderings.

x4000, _just_ rewrite AI War to Mono  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2009, 05:18:58 pm »
x4000, _just_ rewrite AI War to Mono  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, right. :)  Maybe someday, if Mono support gets to where it supports Linq and .NET 3.5, I'll be able to compile a Mono version.  But that looks to be a long ways off.  And the last time I ported a program to Mono (my "Manuscript Analyzer" tool), an operation that took under 1 second in .NET took 30+ seconds in Mono.  I know they are improving all the time, and there's a lot about that project that excites me, but... well, it's not quite as baked as WINE yet, I don't think.  It has been a year or more since I looked at it, though, so who knows.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline arthurp

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2010, 02:11:24 pm »
Hey there

I though I would awaken this thread a little since I just checked to compatibility of Mono with .NET and it does support 3.5 and LINQ.

The easiest way to describe what Mono currently supports is:
Everything in .NET 3.5 except WPF and WF, limited WCF.

I'm not expecting you to do a rebuild immediately or anything (I'm sure there are DX compat issues), but since it matches what you said was needed I thought I'd mention it. I would certainly LOVE to see a linux build. Are there any other issues with Mono that I don't know about? (I'm not a .NET programmer at all)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2010, 02:54:49 pm »
Cool stuff, it sounds like that might work, then.  Arcen won't be doing a rebuild, but I think that there are ways in which to get it running under WINE, and that would require someone with Linux knowledge, etc.  We'll be porting the entire application over the Unity 3D soon anyway, and that runs much better under Linux in general, since it uses OpenGL and Mono instead of DirectX and .NET.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2010, 05:08:57 pm »
X beat me to it... The forthcoming Unity version should work better on WINE.

Or, do what I do and run a Mac. It has everything you'd want from a Linux perspective, and then some. (I've been a Linux developer since late '91.)

Cheers!

PS: I can't wait for the Mac version. I would never have dreamed of such a thing a year ago.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk