Author Topic: AI Crashes too often  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Darelius

AI Crashes too often
« on: March 11, 2014, 06:49:14 pm »
first a hello, i like this game ;)

My Problem is:

I reduced all Graphic Options to get a better performance, but still hate several Lags in the game.

I never could finish a game,because it always crashes after some hours of playing.

Here some Data:
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-M Pro Intel Z77 So.1155 Dual Channel..
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 4x 3.40GHz So.1155 BOX
RAM: 16GB (4x 4096MB) G.Skill RipJawsZ DDR3-1600 DIMM
System-HDD:    120GB Corsair Force GT Series 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA
Game-HDD: 1000GB WD Black WD1002FAEX 7.200U/min 64MB 3.5".
Graphic Card: 2048MB Asus GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II Aktiv
System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate inkl. SP1 64 Bit

Game options:
10 Plenets, all extensions, Graphic 1920x1080, 2 Level 10 AI.
AI Options varies and other Game things, but the problem was always the same.
After one or two hous the game crashes.
I checked the temperature of GPU and CPU and its much below the "limit" and therefore no problem.

I added the two crash reports for more information

Is this a problem i can solve wih "tricks" or other options or is it an unsolvable problem for me?

...DX

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: AI Crashes too often
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 07:21:12 pm »
Generally speaking, if you play with 10 planets and a high-level AI in combination, you can expect out of memory errors from the unity engine.  The amount of "managed" memory that mono is allowed to access is the limit that is being hit, and internally that is about 800MB (the game itself uses more than that for textures and the like).

If you can live with the out of memory exceptions, then you can just make sure it autosaves frequently and keep going as you are.  Beyond that, if you shift to playing with only a couple of starting planets instead, that will have far fewer enemy ships and thus far less intensive memory use.

Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 01:03:34 pm »
To clarify, are you starting with a 10-planet galaxy, or 10 Homeworlds?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Darelius

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 04:28:28 am »
I start with a 10 Planets Galaxy, die Champion+Normal Option, 2 AI Level 10 with Rendom first and second AI Type.
I list all Options i use:
- No Setup Script
- 10 Planets
- Map Style: x
- Campaign Type: Conquest
- all 5 Expansions

- All Ships aktivated and "Complex"

- Combyt Style: Epic (slower)
- Unit Cap Scale: High
- Performance Profile: High (50ms)
- Extra Fog of War
- No Cheats, show unexplored Planets

- Human Marodeurs 1/10
- Human Resistance 10/10
- Human Colony 10/10
- Zenith Traders
- Zenith Miners 1/10
- Zenith Dyson Spheres 1/10
- Broken Golems (Easy)
- Botnet Golems (Easy)
- Neizul Rocketry 1/10
- Fallen Spire 1/10
- Spire Civilian Leaders
- Spirecraft (Easy)
- Dark Spire 1/10
- Showdown Devices

- AI Modifiers: 2xEnemy Waves
- Auto AI Progress: 1 per 30 minutes

- No AI Plots

- Role: Normal+Champion
- No Ressource Modifier
- 2 AI with Level 10 (Doom), no Ressource modifier and Random Harder Primary and secondary AI Type

I turned off nearly all Graphic Options, still playing with 1920*1080
Any other "tipp", what i cen "lower" for this ultraepic Battles?

(up to 10.000 Ships in one Battle, up to 1.800 Enemy Raid Starships sometimes, 10 or more Fortresses in this Battle, over 1.000 Turrets...)

...DX

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:37:48 am »
- Unit Cap Scale: High

Any other "tipp", what i cen "lower" for this ultraepic Battles?
Mainly lower the unit cap scale at least one step, as that reduces the load substantially :)  It does mean fewer ships, but they're more powerful in proportion.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Darelius

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:01:43 am »
Okay, i lower the unit cap to "minimum" but the AI doesnt seem to be afected from the "lower" unit cap.
They sent nearly the same amout of units as before and the got stronger like mine but i had 245 instead of 192 units.

The AI made a Rush with, i cant still believe it myself, 12.000 Ships.About 1800 were Star-Raid ships and  two creepy Artillery Golem, and 5 other Golems!
In the 10-Planet-Galaxyy i had 6 Golems alreeady and it came with 7 other Golems!

So the AI is ultra-cheating...

BUT: it didn't crash i "only" loose.... :(
So next try... 400...

...DX

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 09:11:47 am »
The AI definitely follows the same ship-cap-scale as you, but bear in mind that it doesn't apply to starships (on your side or the AI's) so a Raid Starship is the same on Ultra-Low as it is on High.

Also, the total unit count it sends at you doesn't actually tell you much about the strength of the individual units.  For some types of attacks it's actually handed a strength-budget and "don't make more than a few hundred ships for this", so if the strength budget gets much higher it doesn't send more ships, it just sends more powerful ships.

If you'd like you can see some fairly detailed math on what it gets for each attack and how the strength numbers add up.

1) Are these waves?  Or exos (exo-galactic strikeforces)?  Or CPAs (cross-planet-attacks)?  Or something else?  That determines what log file you'll care about.

2) Go into Settings, then the Advanced tab, then turn on "Enable Advanced Logging".

3) Run one of your "insane 10/10 cage match" games on high caps until the AI throws a few really major attacks at you.

4) Save the game, quit the application.

5) In your AIW directory's RuntimeData subdirectory (most common path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AI War Fleet Command\RuntimeData\") grab all the files that start with "LogicLog_" and stuff those in a zip file called "HighCapLogs".

6) Delete the LogicLog_ files from RuntimeData (now that you have copies in that zip file)

7) Run another 10-10-cage-match, this time on ultra-low caps until the AI throws a few really major attacks at you.

8 ) Save the game, quit the application.

9) Back in RuntimeData, zip up your LogicLog_ files into a zip file called "UltraLowCapLogs"

10) Come back here and upload both zip files (while writing a post, you can click the "+ Additional Options" below the big textbox, then click "Choose File" to pick something to upload) and I can point out the relevant bits of the logs to you :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk