Author Topic: Which special units compliment cruisers?  (Read 5500 times)

Offline Alex2290

Re: Which special units compliment cruisers?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 08:08:33 pm »
Leech Starships are, to me, essential. They pay for themselves shortly. I cannot imagine a build that is more efficient without them. But then again, I'm playing a 7.3 AI and I cannot build T3 units, though I do have tons of IV and III units from fighting my way through AI systems.

I too blob when Traversing a hostile system, but it is always a good call to go after bunched up single unit types with the unit they are weak against. Fighters and bombers will always make it back to the main group. Also if you attack a fortified position, send your fighters in first to cover the tractor beams, then send your bombers.

Remember, you can set your cruisers and starships in one group, then orbit tightly with faster units in their range craft to increase DPS. Attack move (alt+click) is your friend. One mobile repair ship in the back makes it possible to ALT attack with minimal losses, because the cruisers take so long to get there, and you end up with a stream of fighters/bombers/other constantly catching up to them. Tugs, if not tractor beamed, remove ships from tractor beam! More than one MRS is useless in my recent experience.

Let raid starships and Leeches fly ahead of the fleet on fortified positions. They take out the shields so fast it's worth it.

Good tips... ;)

What does the "attack move" feature do, though? And I don't use mobile repair ships.. I bring 3-5 mk2 engineers and v+rightclick them a far distance from hostiles so they can just teleport in and heal then teleport out of danger.

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 01:57:24 pm »
Attack-move basically has the units travel to that specific area, stopping to engage enemy units on the way.  It is different from Defender Mode in that they don't wander off to their prefered targets.

The use for it is to keep your units together. 
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

Offline Grok

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 12:10:23 pm »
I bring 3-5 mk2 engineers and v+rightclick them a far distance from hostiles so they can just teleport in and heal then teleport out of danger.

The only problem with this is that in intense combat ships don't heal for 3 seconds after they have been shot. Using tugs takes them out of combat so they are no longer recieving fire. It strings out your forces, but it preserves them. My experience is that it reduces my losses by 20-75%, depending on amount of ships/ amount of enemy ships. It also let's you alt attack because the repaired ships form a defensive barrier around your entry wormhole, protecting knowledge raiders without having to dedicate units to it.

My MRS forms, for large assualts, the anchor point for everything, and adds what feels like a continuous stream of reinforcements. Engineers behave similarly, but only heal one unit at a time, dont' remove units from tractor, and don't pull units away to a place where it is actually possible to heal them. But you can always do both, MRS is not that expensive in either knowledge or build costs.

It's also awesome in combo with leech/parasites starships because it pulls out all your new units and gets them up to full health.

Badass....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk