Author Topic: How nasty are Zenith Siege Engines?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Radiant Phoenix

• Sr. Member Mark II
How nasty are Zenith Siege Engines?
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:04:28 pm »
I'm trying to decide whether to sabotage their Design Backup or not in my current game.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: How nasty are Zenith Siege Engines?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 04:52:30 pm »
I'm trying to decide whether to sabotage their Design Backup or not in my current game.
In large numbers, they can be brutal.  Sure, they're slow, medium ranged, and have a 10-second pre-fire delay - but they hit HARD, AoE, and through force fields.  A mob of 200 or 300 Siege Engines can be devastating to someone unprepared, as when you let the Special Forces pile up a bit too much.

But if you keep them into smaller groups, they are easy to deal with.

Offline Radiant Phoenix

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 05:19:07 pm »
I anticipate exo-waves.

What does that say for the strategic implications?

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 06:46:52 pm »
I anticipate exo-waves.

In comparison to Exowaves, Siege Engines are unlikely to amount to much.  They won't show up in any significant numbers as part of those waves, either.

Offline Radiant Phoenix

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 07:45:55 pm »
I anticipate exo-waves.

In comparison to Exowaves, Siege Engines are unlikely to amount to much.  They won't show up in any significant numbers as part of those waves, either.
So I made the right choice by not spending HaP to get rid of them.

Offline Chris_Stalis

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:13:34 pm »
Z Siege Engines are basically the Coke version of a Pepsi Plasma Siege Engine. In addition to a more favorable ship cap, they've got better speed, damage per shot, and armor type. The cost is less overall health and firing speed. Key defense is to keep them moving, because it takes 10 seconds from when they stop to fire their first shot. Kiting with fighters is highly effective.

Best static defense is sniper turrets (both flavors) and time. If they're going to pop out of a wormhole right next to your guard point, you've got a major problem. If you can force 'em to fly for a bit (doubly so if they're hitting a logistics post), you can whittle them down and burn out their engines. Focusing the snipers to fire on their type (ctrl+rclick one of them w/ the turrets selected) will generally help. If they get up close to the forcefields, pull the engies/rebuilders out from under it like you would for a normal siege engine defense.

Generally, I only hack a design backup if the AI is actively using that ship type in an annoying way. I may be over personifying it, but the AI seems to play like it has an ordered preference list on which ships it buys additional ships for reinforce or other similar events. The list seems to also randomize with each game, so if the ship type isn't popping up high on the list for this game, it probably isn't worth the HaP to remove it until the AI gives you a reason to.

Full disclosure: I prefer coke to pepsi.

Offline Radiant Phoenix

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:42:22 pm »
In my last game, the ship types I sabotaged were:
  • Zenith Bombard: because long range + sniper immunity = sad Spire fleet
  • Tachyon Microfighter: so I could send stealth stuff around without getting annoyed
  • Tackle Drone Launcher: so my zombie ships could wreak havoc

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk