Author Topic: How does cloaking work exactly?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline allmybase

How does cloaking work exactly?
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:29:42 pm »
Like scouts have cloaking boost when helping each other?

My guess is that tachyon beams last a certain amount of time, and cloaking boost reduces how long that tachyon beam lasts. You still have to get out of range of the tachyon emitter because that constantly throws beams out, but is that how it works? That cloaker starship has like a 20x booster, so does that just reduce tachyon duration by that much?

And when scouts boost each other, I notice that they always pair up and when I hover over them, only one of them says cloaking boosted while the other does not. Is this just a display error - or does only one scout benefit from the pairing up?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: How does cloaking work exactly?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:31:39 pm »
The wiki has all that info, this time.  Let me know if it's missing anything that you still wanted to know, but I think it has all of it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline allmybase

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 12:37:35 pm »
Oh whoops I missed that info on the wiki, thanks.  ::) :o :D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:38:21 pm »
Np.  ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline allmybase

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 12:56:54 pm »
How would you use the cloaker starship properly? I just experimented with one and they get burned really really bad when the entrance is cluttered with units (which is usually the case on hard planets). And once they went down then so did the units they were cloaking :S

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:59:02 pm »
The problem there is most likely tachyon beam emitters.  Honestly I don't use the cloaker starships terribly much, but I know that some players have developed strategies for using them really effectively.  I am not sure what they do -- possibly pair them with lightning warheads?  Hopefully they will weigh in, but you may be able to find comments from them if you search the forums, too.  I remember it being discussed in the past as to what these players do, but I don't recall exactly what it was they were doing.

Offline FrostyThePyro

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 01:51:52 pm »
send in a tachyon drone/scout starship/decloaker a handfull of cleanup drones and something with guns, kill whatever is launching tachyons at you.  Next wave is the cloaker ships (remember to low power anything with guns you want to stay stealthy) which should pass through with impunity.

Offline soMe_RandoM

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 08:27:18 pm »
if your ships are having problems with being slow than other ships in the system use the all mighty power of low power that was an major part of the game as your ships cant decloak to fire if they cant fire in the first place ;) :D :)
AI War - even the smallest units can make all the difference no matter how weak they are still quite capable of taking the hits. if it can Kill and receive damage then it worth its time other wise if it cant kill and cant take the damage for the higher surviving ships then it is worthless.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk