Author Topic: Focus Fire  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
Focus Fire
« on: August 02, 2012, 11:55:32 am »
Sometimes I see Fighters shooting at Missile Frigates when there are Bombers next to them.. it's.. annoying sometimes.
Any way (besides microing) to stop this from happening? Would enabling focus fire help? Has anyone tried using it or does someone use it all the time? What's the difference?

"Enable Non-Sniper Focus Fire: If this toggle is checked, any of you military units with finite-range weapons (almost everything) will use alternate auto-targeting logic that is tailored to destroy enemy ships as fast as possible rather than optimizing total damage done."

Well the fighters shooting at the Missile Frigates certainly weren't optimizing their damage so maybe I should try enabling this?
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
Re: Focus Fire
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:00:13 pm »
Enabling focus fire would cause that sort of thing to happen more often. I always play with it on, as it increases the survivability of your fleet, albeit at the cost of longer battles.

Are the bombers already "dead" from incoming fire? because that would explain the described behavior.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Focus Fire
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:07:16 pm »
Another consideration is that the game only allows recomputing so many target lists per frame to avoid slowing down the game, so if the frigates were in range before the bombers were, it can take the fighters a while to "notice".
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk