Author Topic: The Rogue Commander begins....  (Read 7871 times)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
The Rogue Commander begins....
« on: January 17, 2010, 07:24:42 pm »
Ok, i think i want to keep this campaign enough to do an AAR on it, so here's what i got so far (details are real fuzzy from the first several hours):

First pic is the state of the map at current with all planet names -- you'll need this. I start with Anti Armor, the ship type you get in tutorials and a nice looking ship (though it's stats are a bit weak). In case you can't tell, i'm a fan of snakey maps :)

I started out on Upsilon Reticulii. I built a fleet of a couple hundred ships, did some scouting, unlocked MkII versions of my combat ships, and headed out into the galaxy. I subsequently took Gamma Heta, Psi Digamma, and Omicron Sigma (that one had an ARS containing Grenade launchers, and gamma heta had a co-processor i destroyed). A trader was lucky enough to wander by Gamma Heta so i kid-in-a-candy-stored myself into a Superfortress, Radar Jammer, Black Hole machine, Planetary Shield inhibitor, Orbital Mass Driver, and Ion Cannon MkII (which was destroyed by space planes a while later). After a lot of speed-up-to-get-resources-and-dump-them-into-building-an-expensive-ship, i managed to bring online my planetary shield booster and inhibitor.

I did some scouting and i found that Foxtrot Quebec was uninteresting, so was San Psi, Vav Mem had a core IRE fab, and Psi Kappa had a Cursed Golem + Experimental Translocator fab. Victor Whiskey had a Dyson golem on it but was an IV planet -- i knew i was going to be in for a fight at some point. Oh yeah, i also repelled a 2k+ CPA attack at some point (easy with the goodies i had online + my fleet for firepower) during all of that. Anyway, on to the next part -- Capturing the Golem.

By the way, at this point my fleet consists of maxed out grenade launchers MkI and my regular stuff Mks 1 and 2. I re-add Anti-armor later on but it's sort of an on-again off-again thing.

I steamrolled my fleet over to Vav mem and set up shop there. In order to do research with minimal losses, i decided to take a look at the Cloaker Starship. I built one and sent it with my research stations (5 of them) and found that it does a passable job at keeping them cloaked (occasionally one will stray out of the cloaking radius when it arrives at the destination). I knowledge mined the four planets i had access to and secured them. I was now in posession of the golem! I rebuilt it a couple times after saving and reloading some, and ended up deciding it wasn't worth it. I built a nuke and nuked the IV planet in my way (no option, waaaaaay to many ships to take down, 4k+). I rebuilt my fleet to it's max and sent it out into Gamma Theta, where it took quite a beating (odd, considering i've destroyed tougher planets than that with my fleet; maybe it has something to do with the core turrets i had to mop up). The trader also stopped by Psi Kappa, so i picked up a few more goodies. I'm rebuilding my fleet now for another attack, and i plan to take Sampi Theta when possible.
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline raptor331

Re: The Rogue Commander begins....
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:06:37 pm »
Quick to build a massive fleet eh? I'm always to subtle for that, I often start off with raiding nearby planets before I even think about conquering planets.

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:12:02 pm »
Quick to build a massive fleet eh? I'm always to subtle for that, I often start off with raiding nearby planets before I even think about conquering planets.
Yep, i always have group move on so that nothing within 10k will survive! :D

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:25:18 pm »
Its very interesting to see and read how you play ;p Now i understand why you want the anti-armors rebalanced  ;D :D Tis a real grind you have a ahead of you though.. especially with that high progression, at that point i would already give up the campaign because at these progress levels the homeworld attack is going to be.. interesting / depressing (to me, anyhow ,p)

I don't understand how you can all play at such high progression numbers heh (maybe i just really suck at this game.. but to me.. i never let it go above 220 (tech 2 border on Dif 7) my AI is always at tech 1 if i can help it
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 08:36:55 pm »
Sounds like you use similar tactics to me, in a lot of ways. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline raptor331

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »
That is what I meant whe I said "I'm always too subtle for that"

Offline Harry

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:39:36 pm »
I'm curious how you got to AI Progress over 600 while owning just 7 systems.  Shouldn't you be around 200 tops?  Or are you playing with a very fast hourly accumulation of AI progress?  Or does the trader increase one's Progress?  (I haven't seen or used the trader yet.)

I also like keeping my Progress low.  I still haven't finished a game, though!  My current marathon game still has Progress around 140.  But until I actually *win*, I guess I shouldn't talk.  :)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:42:23 pm »
I'm curious how you got to AI Progress over 600 while owning just 7 systems.  Shouldn't you be around 200 tops?  Or are you playing with a very fast hourly accumulation of AI progress?  Or does the trader increase one's Progress?  (I haven't seen or used the trader yet.)

I also like keeping my Progress low.  I still haven't finished a game, though!  My current marathon game still has Progress around 140.  But until I actually *win*, I guess I shouldn't talk.  :)
15 every 90 mins + steamrolling every system + a failed rebel colony (+ another on the way :( )+ a nuke -- it adds up :)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 10:45:45 pm »
Also, i gotta say if anyone is letting their engineers do fleet repairs, they should build some MRSs -- it's a lifesaver and vastly speeds fleet recovery!

Offline raptor331

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 11:01:12 pm »
Also, i gotta say if anyone is letting their engineers do fleet repairs, they should build some MRSs -- it's a lifesaver and vastly speeds fleet recovery!

Its also scatters your fleet, but it does repair fast.

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:09:55 pm »

Its also scatters your fleet, but it does repair fast.
Not for me, the ships go back to the place they were before gettign towed...

Offline raptor331

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:12:15 pm »
Yes, in the time it takes for the units to return to its original position, your fleet is scattered....

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 01:42:57 am »
Anyway, i have a progress report. I updated to 3.012 recently, which boosted the Dyson Gatlings. This is important, as you'll see a little later.

I finished rebuilding my fleet and sent it into Gamma Theta for more punishment; i lost about 1000 ships but managed to clear out the planet with the help of the Dyson Sphere. At present, about 40 Dyson gatlings are running around pwning everything on Sampi Theta -- gotta say, i love those things :)

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 08:00:14 am »
Well before they got the fix in the latest pre-release they couldn't stand a fight against 300 ships .p

I think maybe now we have reduce HP by 30% (before it was x10 more hp) again.. because the AI just like the Player, sometimes under-estimates the danger of that sphere :p

But i do have to admit, that with the current balancing i would think twice before trying to take the planet it sits on...
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline snrub_guy

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 02:01:11 pm »
Just out of interest, why destroy the co-processor? I thought it was better to leave them until you could hit them all together?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk