Author Topic: Valley2: Starving to death  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Siegfoult

Valley2: Starving to death
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:11:40 pm »
I only lasted about 10 turns because there was only one farm I could find.  Is this normal?  I would spend every other turn for the first few turns, then every turn after that, scavaging for food, because that was the only way to get any because Demonicon (If I'm remembering the name correctly) kept trampling it.  I was finding lots of housing and factories, but no other farms and only 2 other tiles that generated food.

If this is not something that is supposed to happen with world generation, then I guess it needs some check for a minimum amount of farms/food-producing-tiles near the start.

Otherwise, pretty cool game so far.  I especially like the ongoing tutorial, it doesn't overwhelm or bore, which is an achievement considering the game has a different concept than most.

Offline doubtful

• Newbie Mark III
Re: Valley2: Starving to death
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 11:15:51 pm »
Are you aware you can convert other areas to farms besides something more obvious like grassland?

If you choose to "interact with this area", and read the description of that particular type of tile, it will tell you what it can be converted into.

I can't think of any particular examples atm, but I was sort of surprised at what was farm-able.

If that doesn't help either, you may have just gotten "lucky". :)

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:28:04 pm »
The ocean shallow buildings can be converted into farms.

The desert buildings and city buildings can be converted into factories to make scrap.

All of the above (I think) can be converted into housing as well.

This is very easy to miss, and you really need to do early expansion with those in mind. Strangely enough, I don't recall being able to turn grasslands or groves into farms.

Offline doubtful

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:15:11 am »
Hmm..I thought the first farm you create based on the tutorial-y stuff was a grasslands, but I wasn't part of the alpha so being noobish, I could very well be wrong. B)

I do remember ocean shallows being one at least! hehe

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:17:32 am »
It's only a specific grasslands spot that looks like an unsown field (like the one in the tutorial), but you can't convert any old grasslands spot into a farm. Ocean buildings are actually more common, heh.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 01:36:13 am »
Aye, as they say, farm-able tiles are decently common.   Though, less common than tiles that allow you to build houses/factories.  Farms can be difficult to maintain, and you're usually not going to have lots of them up at once.   Even so, it's not very hard to get a few going and stockpile tons of food.

Though, the actual "farmland" tile IS rare.  You wont see those very much.  They do produce the most food per turn though.  (also, try entering them when you do find them.... there's perk tokens inside!)

The best thing you can do though when learning the game is that every time you encounter any type of tile you havent seen before, go over to it and bring up the menu, as it'll tell you exactly what it does, and exactly what you can build on it.   Since there's a HUGE number of different tiles, doing this is really important.

Offline Gemzo

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 03:44:13 am »
Nevertheless, he has a point. I tried playing on the highest strategic difficulty. It was literally impossible because the farm seeded right next to the overlord's keep. He comes out so quickly and just destroys it that very turn. There's not enough time to go find another farm and you barely get any morale for succeeding missions (nor start with nearly as much as normal) so there was no cushioning for the morale loss from starvation at all. There isn't really room to kite and rebuild the farm because you've only gotten 3 turns before he blows it up. tl;dr starting farm should be guaranteed to start out of his first move's range. The RNG should not be able to declare GG by stapling this handicap on after you've gone through and picked a nice character, and essentially telling you go make another one along with a new world. This argument only really applies for the highest strategic difficulty though, queen and lower were possible to live with it (due to him staying in the keep for longer).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:47:54 am by Gemzo »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk