Author Topic: Thoughts On Post-1.0 AVWW In The Wake Of Terraria's Development Halt  (Read 9892 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Thoughts On Post-1.0 AVWW In The Wake Of Terraria's Development Halt
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 06:33:14 pm »
Luxor is also really good on iOS.

EDIT: And so are Peggle and Plants Vs Zombies, although the latter isn't really puzzle.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 11:30:05 am »
Two words, people: Dungeon Raid.

Match 3 meets roguelike.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 11:33:06 am »

Match 3 meets roguelike.

We were talking about ported games, but yeah -- Dungeon Raid is also currently installed on my phone and I find it quite a bit of fun.  I also really enjoy Helsing's Fire.  And, more recently, Rebuild has really caught my attention.  Played a fair bit of Triple Town, but it couldn't hold me past a few hours.  My wife still plays that one a lot, though, and is getting scores of like 200k and floating citadels and stuff, heh.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 11:39:50 am »

Match 3 meets roguelike.

We were talking about ported games, but yeah -- Dungeon Raid is also currently installed on my phone and I find it quite a bit of fun. I also really enjoy Helsing's Fire.  And, more recently, Rebuild has really caught my attention.  Played a fair bit of Triple Town, but it couldn't hold me past a few hours.  My wife still plays that one a lot, though, and is getting scores of like 200k and floating citadels and stuff, heh.

Ah yes, so you were. Sorry, I was excited!

I'll have to check a few of these others out!

Offline Moo

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 12:47:59 pm »
Plants vs Zombies is a far better game than it appears at first glance.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 01:23:04 pm »

Yeah, it is.  I just wish it was re-playable but it really isn't.  =\

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 01:25:44 pm »
Ditto.  Same for PixelJunk Monsters, for me.  Hands down the best tower defense game ever created, in my opinion, but no replay value.  I'd gladly buy expansions or sequels to that one, though (and indeed, have the first expansion).

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 02:28:00 pm »

King

I dunno, I clocked up over a 100 hours.

Ditto.  Same for PixelJunk Monsters, for me.  Hands down the best tower defense game ever created, in my opinion, but no replay value.  I'd gladly buy expansions or sequels to that one, though (and indeed, have the first expansion).

I have the same thing with Ninjatown for the DS - perfectly crafted tower defence with a gradual but satisfying difficulty curve which could have an extra 20 levels and would still be too short.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:30:29 pm by zebramatt »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 02:33:08 pm »
You know, I started playing Ninjatown, but I just didn't finish it for whatever reason.  It really did seem quite amazing, but I was still hooked on PJM, and my main complain with Ninjatown was "it's not PJM."  Which was an incredibly unfair reason not to give it more of a play, and at some point I should go back to it.  I still have it, and they still got my money, so I guess the developer doesn't care either way. ;)

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 02:58:17 pm »
Go for it, I would. It's one of those which leaves you wanting more, for certain.

I just set up a government and completed my first game of Rebuild online - I can see myself coming back and trying that again on a harder setting, for sure.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 06:02:42 pm »
PvZ is the only tower defense game I enjoyed. All the others are so damn passive they bore me to tears (well, as long as we don't count energy grid games as TD, stuff like Perimeter, Harvest Massive Encounter, Creeper World and Fibre).

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 02:01:58 am »

King

I dunno, I clocked up over a 100 hours.

I have the same thing with Ninjatown for the DS - perfectly crafted tower defence with a gradual but satisfying difficulty curve which could have an extra 20 levels and would still be too short.

Once you've figured out the "optimal" Tower defense for each level, the game becomes very passive, thus a very boring click-fest.  PVZ that is.  Don't get me wrong, I sunk 49 hours into the game, but everytime I try to play it again, it just bores me. 

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 04:52:45 am »
If I recall, later on it starts throwing scenarios at you where you'll have to use a number of non-optimal plants plus some chosen ones. And then they chuck loads of different sorts of zombies in a really unusual order. I actually stopped playing it when it became frustratingly tricky!

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 07:25:36 pm »
I just played Terraria for the first time tonight. Pretty crazy game, that. Not really sure what I was doing but I enjoyed myself nonetheless. I'll almost certainly play more of it!

And I also happened to stumble across the creator's announcements on cessation of development. It was all pretty reasonable, I thought. He even mentioned he plans to release a final patch to iron out the last of the bugs - and I believe that was still his intention as of last week.

Although it's funny, really. I spend all my time online in relatively placid environments, like this one. Occasionally I'll read youtube comments or have a peek over at 4chan, but mostly I'd kinda formed a subconscious view that the internet had matured somewhat since the hayday of  my forum-going as a younger man. It's always a bit of a wake-up call when I find myself in the midst of so much unreasoned hatred and ire.

I mean, I'm spoilt, right? We all are here, I think. Arcen's ongoing development is literally the best I've come across. But I read Redigit (author of Terraria)'s address to his people and as I say, I thought it was pretty reasonable. S'got a new baby boy, the artist left, s'not sure where to go with the game, and generally a bit blasted by the whole thing... What's to hate?

Just made me think a whole lot of people have got one seriously overblown entitlement complex - you know?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 07:38:21 pm »
@zebramatt - yea, I tend not to wander the wilds of the internet, the heat's exhausting :)  Kind of like one alternative I've heard suggested for the ESRB's "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB" : "Online Interactions Indicative Of The Hearts Of Man".
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk