Author Topic: Q & A  (Read 163508 times)

Offline Hyfrydle

Re: Q & A
« Reply #240 on: October 02, 2011, 02:25:11 pm »
Is it currently possible to cross sea squares or are we waiting for the ability to craft a suit immune to the corrosive water?

Offline c4sc4

« Reply #241 on: October 02, 2011, 02:29:15 pm »
Is it currently possible to cross sea squares or are we waiting for the ability to craft a suit immune to the corrosive water?

You can cross ocean tile but it is time consuming. If you are a bat, when you get sucked into the ocean you are flying above the water so you just have to cross 3 screens to get back to the world map. It takes a long time but it is possible to cross large expanses of ocean.

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #242 on: October 02, 2011, 02:55:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply I hadn't tried the bat form before now so didn't know how this worked.

Offline Commiesalami

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #243 on: October 02, 2011, 03:27:55 pm »
Is there any reason for the disappearance of the memory archives?  I'm sitting on about 10 memory stones and would like to turn them in for an experience boost/more plot.  I think the memory archive got overwritten by the big building that lets you go to strategic view.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #244 on: October 02, 2011, 03:32:31 pm »
Is there any reason for the disappearance of the memory archives?  I'm sitting on about 10 memory stones and would like to turn them in for an experience boost/more plot.  I think the memory archive got overwritten by the big building that lets you go to strategic view.
The archive interface, the underlying story system, and the actual writing all needs to be redone, and that's going to take a while.  So didn't want to leave something in that was misleading in basically every facet of its implementation ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Commiesalami

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #245 on: October 02, 2011, 03:38:38 pm »
The archive interface, the underlying story system, and the actual writing all needs to be redone, and that's going to take a while.  So didn't want to leave something in that was misleading in basically every facet of its implementation ;)

Sounds good.  Is there any reason to stockpile memory crystals then?  Or should I just stick around in the rare commodity towers to just kill bosses?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #246 on: October 02, 2011, 03:50:07 pm »
Sounds good.  Is there any reason to stockpile memory crystals then?  Or should I just stick around in the rare commodity towers to just kill bosses?
They'll be useful someday, and cashing those in grants XP.

And yea, even if you can't use the item at the top (yet), those towers are good sources of easy-to-find bosses, and thus of XP.  And shards, nowadays.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2011, 03:52:39 pm »

You can cross ocean tile but it is time consuming. If you are a bat, when you get sucked into the ocean you are flying above the water so you just have to cross 3 screens to get back to the world map. It takes a long time but it is possible to cross large expanses of ocean.

Often you can just cut back out the nearest exit, right next to where it drops you, and then move to the next ocean tile.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #248 on: October 02, 2011, 03:54:33 pm »
Often you can just cut back out the nearest exit, right next to where it drops you, and then move to the next ocean tile.
Go ahead and try that for crossing, say, a 4-wide body of water.

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #249 on: October 02, 2011, 05:37:50 pm »
Go ahead and try that for crossing, say, a 4-wide body of water.

Just take a set of warp scrolls with you and you'll be ok. It's a bit time consuming tho.

Can you guys "hack" some of the bosses to drop blue shards until strategic costs are revamped?
Like maybe make underground bats drop shards depending on actual area they are in.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #250 on: October 02, 2011, 05:57:50 pm »
Q: Hanging trap, WTF?

(Ok it's not much of a question, but come on. They look like light fixtures, they don't do anything, then I flip a switch and I'm instantly dead. That's lame.)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #251 on: October 02, 2011, 10:55:50 pm »

(Ok it's not much of a question, but come on. They look like light fixtures, they don't do anything, then I flip a switch and I'm instantly dead. That's lame.)

They really shouldn't instantly kill you in most cases -- that was highly unlucky on your part.  Most of the time they just block the exit and you have to fight your way carefully out.  Sometimes accidents happen, though, with insta-death as the result.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Nalgas

« Reply #252 on: October 03, 2011, 12:54:32 am »

They really shouldn't instantly kill you in most cases -- that was highly unlucky on your part.  Most of the time they just block the exit and you have to fight your way carefully out.  Sometimes accidents happen, though, with insta-death as the result.

The one room with them that I was stupid enough to pull the lever in didn't instantly kill me, but there was nowhere safe to stand where they couldn't hit me, and they did kill me within about three seconds.  Close enough to instant.  My future plan for dealing with them after that has been to destroy them without prejudice as soon as I see them (assuming they're destructible), even if there are no levers around, but I haven't gone anywhere with them again yet to see if that works.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #253 on: October 03, 2011, 01:10:28 am »
Well it wasn't instant death, I was exaggerating out of aggravation. But they were pretty much filling the room, and filling the small space where the switch was. So when I hit the switch (which had never before caused bad things to happen) and the room was suddenly full of fire and there was no safe space to dodge to, I wasn't really sure what the heck was going on. I figured out that they were destroyable right around the time that I died, which probably did only take 5 seconds or so.

I'm not sure I like the idea of a trap like that. It doesn't add anything to the game except for one lame death. From now on, of course I'm going to clear them all out before pulling any nearby levers. So that simply means that it's a 'gotcha' to a new player and it might as well not exist for a player who has experience with it. Why not something more interesting, like pulling the lever turns on a series of intermittent flame jets that you have to dodge on your way back out of the room? Admittedly, that's an idea as old as dirt in the world of platforming, but at least it's some sort of challenge.

Offline c4sc4

« Reply #254 on: October 03, 2011, 01:26:11 am »
If you've been in switch rooms without any traps before then once you enter one with all the hanging traps it should be fairly obvious that those things are out of place and maybe you should investigate further. The first time I saw a switch room with the traps I knew something was fishy since the room was littered with these things that weren't there in previous rooms. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk