Author Topic: Help! Getting destroyed by Eagles  (Read 1693 times)

Offline blackdog3377

Help! Getting destroyed by Eagles
« on: July 28, 2012, 08:00:30 pm »
So I've been playing the game for a couple hours and everything so far has been going great. Killed my first Lieutenant, have some good spells, lots of bonus buildings, survivors, etc. The problem comes in when I was going to kill the second Lieutenant who is in an Evergreen Forest. As soon as I enter the level I get swarmed by 7-8 eagles who just fly by doing large amounts of damage. I can manage to clear the first screen but by that point I'm down a large amount of health. Move on to the second screen and the same thing happens, just mass dive bombing by Eagles. I've now died twice on this level and the next time I went back the same thing started to happen so I left.

I would really appreciate some tips on how to get past the massive amounts of eagles.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
Re: Help! Getting destroyed by Eagles
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 08:20:18 pm »
Ignoring them works best for me. Focus on dodging them and stay on the upper row to avoid the fire breathing beasts that roam the ground. I seem to remember ball lightning doing tonight of damage to the Eagles.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline blackdog3377

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 08:27:13 pm »
Ignoring them works best for me. Focus on dodging them and stay on the upper row to avoid the fire breathing beasts that roam the ground. I seem to remember ball lightning doing tonight of damage to the Eagles.

I can't avoid them because there are always 2-4 coming straight at me at any given time. I've also been using ball lightning but they're coming so fast I barely have time to aim.

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 11:53:15 am »
If you have 550+ manas creeping death works wonders, just wait for one to appear, start it, and watch the eagle suicide. Ice cross works pretty well too, with lower mana cost.

If no other choices, I just shoot horizontally left or right until they die :-\. Not great, but it works.

Offline BenMiff

• Map Maker Mk V
  • Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 12:19:18 pm »
Few tricks I've found:-

1. -Detection Radius helps a lot, since the sight-lines you get are handy warning to loose a big attack off on their approach / dodge them.
2. Ground-sliding attacks are also handy since they stick around and so have a chance for the eagles to run into them.
3. I haven't tried this one, but apparently beartraps are also handy as obstacles to catch them in.
4. The top level is better if you want to try a dodging-based strategy, while the ground level is better for actually killing eagles (since you then have flatter ground to work with.)
5. If you have a decent enough constant output spell (flamethrower and geyser come to mind, it will generally catch eagles for some damage as they go past; this is probably your last resort, though, since you will almost certainly be taking damage this way.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 07:05:32 pm »
Bear traps.

Bloody eagles are pretty much the entire reason I carry them.   Well, and raptors, but raptors arent as annoying as eagles.

Lock the accursed things in place, hit them with ball lightning. 

Just place the trap on flat ground in front of you, where the stupid things will be coming from, and it's pretty much guaranteed that one will smack right into it.  Easy to finish them afterwards.

Offline blackdog3377

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 07:11:30 pm »
Thanks for the tips. I managed to finally get past them by using a contemporary character for the extra upgrade points, loading up on HP and attack, and then dodging madly and firing ball lightning everywhere. For some reason this time they seemed to slack off on the second screen.

Another odd thing I noticed was on the screens where they were swarming they moved much faster than in other places I've seen them where just one will randomly fly by.

Offline Snave

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 03:47:26 pm »
Other option: Ice Cross. Instant gibs most small fry if within 2 levels of the continent. Have it equipped as a panic button. There aren't usually many eagles per slice of land anyway; typically you get murdered by the same two or three eagles flying back and forward through you. Thus, even if you activate the spell whilst the eagle is gleefully passing through your skull, that's one return swoop into your back you've prevented. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk