Author Topic: feedback: Playing as a Robot  (Read 2398 times)

Offline Aeronic

• Newbie Mark II
  • I'm making tunes and killing Overlords.
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:06:56 pm »
Hello,

I've been playing as a robot for quite a while now, and I've noticed a few things (probably already pointed out, but I'd like to give some suggestions)

First off is the obvious size difference. Most levels are generated for humans, and thus the robots have a tough time fitting into certain paths (Underground caves are the biggest offender for this). I'm wondering if this was an intentional balance choice, since Robots don't get affected by cold/heat? I've used Bat scrolls to get out of those situations but I don't think I should be forced to as it makes it tedious and forces me to keep the bat scrolls on an active slot. Maybe the bots can crouch when near a tight space, or maybe double tap down to make then crouch to human height and double tap up to get them back to standard height?

The other issue is that using a bat scroll while a robot you are more likely to get stuck in a ceiling when turning back, especially when in the Underground caves where things are cramped or jutting out (which is where you need it the most :P).

Hope this feedback helps (great game by the way.. I'm totally hooked!)
I'm an indie musician who likes indie games. Seems rather fitting doesn't it?

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
Re: feedback: Playing as a Robot
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 12:10:14 pm »
The size thing is a balance choice I believe. There's supposed to be a minimize spell coming though so you're character will become smaller (and be able to get through the small spaces underground)

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 12:22:00 pm »
Yes, that difficulty fitting into spaces is intended - to balance out the fact that robots are immune to heat and cold.

Previously I thought that wasn't much of a balance, really, since it was so easy to make heat and cold suits.

Now that it (I think?!) makes them immune to frost and fire effects, it feels more balanced.

I think the main issue here is that when you can't fit places as a 'bot it doesn't feel like a balance restriction, it feels broken. That might be easily solved with a note telling the player about the size restriction somewhere.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 12:41:00 pm »
I still feel like this just isn't a good way to balance things. I'm much more a fan of balance of the type of 'this character has stronger attacks and moves faster, but is very fragile'. Obvious tradeoffs. This feels more like balance through... annoying the player, or something. It's not that 'bots can't still get everywhere that humans can get, it's simply that they player is saddled with an extra layer of fiddly and pointless micromanagement to do it. Constantly swapping in and out of bat form isn't an interesting choice, it's just no fun. And the tradeoff is not worth it. Cold and heat resistance is clicking a single button in your inventory to swap your suit. We end up with the tradeoff being either clicking a single button every time you go to a cold/hot place, or clicking the bat button 20 times over every time you go to a cave. The choice is rather obvious.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 01:03:45 pm »
Just make the bot crouch and move a bit slower when the ceiling is too low (do it dynamically so the player doesn't have to worry about it), that would balance it out fine.

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 01:43:51 pm »
Just make the bot crouch and move a bit slower when the ceiling is too low (do it dynamically so the player doesn't have to worry about it), that would balance it out fine.

or increase the size of buildings so it just becomes a disadvantage re: avoiding projectiles with none of this getting stuck in the ceiling

Offline Nalgas

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 11:32:12 am »
I still feel like this just isn't a good way to balance things. [...] This feels more like balance through... annoying the player, or something.

Absolutely, which is pretty much exactly what I said during alpha.  I quickly came to the conclusion after the first time I played as one that the optimal solution was to never, ever choose one as my character again, no matter how good its stats were, because it's just too irritating.  Thematically they're pretty cool, but they just suck to play as because of how often they get trapped places.  Even when they don't get trapped, they're just a pain to navigate through anywhere that isn't a wide open space.  Sorry guys, but you're off the team.  For being useless.  Heh.

Offline Itchykobu

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 11:44:21 am »
This was brought up a week or so ago, and I agree with the sentiment expressed here. Robots = heat res, cold res, and no ghosts on death. Humans = fit through buildings. I choose humans every time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk