Author Topic: AVWW Post-Release 1.018 "Turn Yourself Into A Tiny Dinosaur" Released!  (Read 3008 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Original: http://arcengames.blogspot.com/2012/05/avww-post-release-1018-turn-yourself.html

This one has fewer new enemies than prior versions, but the enemies that it does have are pretty darn cool -- the Deepwoods Gargans are one of the neatest enemies we've added in my opinion.

There's also a variety of balance improvements in this version, plus a new spell scroll that allows you to turn yourself into a Micro-Rex.  Finally something you can transmogrify yourself into beyond just a bat!  Speaking of Micro-Rexes, those are also now something that you'll be encounter en-masse via one of the Elder T-Rex's attacks.

More to come on Monday and beyond.  Enjoy!

This is a standard update that you can download through the in-game updater itself, if you already have 0.500 or later. When you launch the game, you'll see the notice of the update having been found if you're connected to the Internet at the time.  If you don't have 0.500 or later, you can download that here.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nanostrike

• Full Member Mark II
I didn't think it was possible that I could hate Sea Worms more.  But I do.  Now those giant flying turds can sqeeze about anywhere, tanking whatever you throw at them with their crazy-high HP.  Hiding in narrow areas used to be the only way to get around them in some caves.  So much for that.

If you're not in a big enough area to dodge, it turns into a DPS race to see if you can kill it before it hits and kills you.

The other changes are pretty good, though.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
I didn't think it was possible that I could hate Sea Worms more.  But I do.  Now those giant flying turds can sqeeze about anywhere, tanking whatever you throw at them with their crazy-high HP.  Hiding in narrow areas used to be the only way to get around them in some caves.  So much for that.

If you're not in a big enough area to dodge, it turns into a DPS race to see if you can kill it before it hits and kills you.

The other changes are pretty good, though.

Best defense against those worms, is one of those..... er.... "shroud" enchants, I cant remember the name suddenly.

Get a good one, and the worms become trivial;  they'll have a very low awareness radius, and their base pattern of just going horizontally back and forth (when they havent noticed you) makes them easy to dodge and just ignore.

Also this update sounds hilarious.   

Offline Jerebaldo1

Hold me closer tiny diiiiiinooosaurrr
Count the espers on the highway
Lay me down in sheets of linen
you had a busy day today

Offline timtim

My updated doesn't work, so I have to manually update (as topic I've made in Technical Support states).

However, I just found out that I need to download EVERY update and not just the latest, as I saw a pink box and a 'missing file' when playing this update (last update I got was 1.013 before 0.018). So I downloaded the missing updates I've not downloaded before (four 1.006, 09, 11 and 16) and ran the updater file, which seemed to go fine.

However, now I'm getting LOTS of messages saying 'MISSING LOCALIZATION: [file]' when the game first loads and also as I play. What's happened? The game 'seems' to be running alright (only played a few minutes with this) but I get a load of these messages saying it.

What can I do to fix this? Is there a way

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
You have to install the updates in order, as well as all of them. If you do them out of numerical order you'll have all sorts of problems. Nothing that can't be fixed by just unzipping them again -- this time in order. No need for a complete reinstall or anything.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline timtim

Lovely, that's all fixed!

Cheer sir, and really liking the updates - especially the new variety in enemies, it adds a real depth to the game.

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
  • Love, Peace, and Calvinball
If your town already has one NPC of each profession, then rescue missions no longer seed as secret missions at all; instead making it so that you can get more focus on resources.

Wouldn't it be desirable to have rescue missions still seed for NPCs of time periods you haven't unlocked?  For example, if you manage to get all the professions before unlocking Time of Magic NPCs, wouldn't this make it so that you HAVE to use Seek Survivors to unlock those NPCs?

Offline nanostrike

• Full Member Mark II
If your town already has one NPC of each profession, then rescue missions no longer seed as secret missions at all; instead making it so that you can get more focus on resources.

Wouldn't it be desirable to have rescue missions still seed for NPCs of time periods you haven't unlocked?  For example, if you manage to get all the professions before unlocking Time of Magic NPCs, wouldn't this make it so that you HAVE to use Seek Survivors to unlock those NPCs?

This is a good idea, actually.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V

Keep in mind there are two "in the level" mission types.
Rescue NPCs stop seeding in the standard secret mission type when you have one of each profession, thus allowing the other types of missions a higher chance of spawning (due to one less possibility "competing for the odds")
However, there is also the rescue NPC "in the level" mission type, which always spawns rescue NPC missions. These are much rarer, but will continue to spawn even if you have all the professions.

I think, but I'm not sure, you can tell the difference by hovering over the secret mission room on the dungeon map. If it says it has an entrance to a secret mission, it is subject to this change. If it says it explicitly it contains an entrance to a rescue NPC mission, then it will always contain an rescue NPC mission. Not sure if there is a color difference between these two room types though.

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III
Given the fact that sea worms are sea creatures, I think it would be much cooler if they were not much of a threat on land. They could flail about inefficiently on cave bottoms. In sea though, they'd float about and be the lethal creatures they now are. The same could apply (to different degrees) to other sea creatures -- why are they flying about in the open air?

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
Given the fact that sea worms are sea creatures, I think it would be much cooler if they were not much of a threat on land. They could flail about inefficiently on cave bottoms. In sea though, they'd float about and be the lethal creatures they now are. The same could apply (to different degrees) to other sea creatures -- why are they flying about in the open air?

Because Magic

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III

Because Magic

King

OK but then why do they not live on land/in the air if they can fly around anyway?

Plus think of the coolness factor of having those nearly helpless worms on land where you can show them who's boss?

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V

Because Magic

King

This.

And there's no point in them even BEING there if they're just going to flail and die in my general direction.  They're ANNOYING, but I'd rather they stay as they are, instead of becoming a total non-threat.

Besides, this is a world where you've got animated water swirling through the air shooting at you, and where said waterball is a COMMON SIGHT.   I can believe flying worms, in that world, definitely.

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III

Because Magic

King

This.

And there's no point in them even BEING there if they're just going to flail and die in my general direction.  They're ANNOYING, but I'd rather they stay as they are, instead of becoming a total non-threat.

Besides, this is a world where you've got animated water swirling through the air shooting at you, and where said waterball is a COMMON SIGHT.   I can believe flying worms, in that world, definitely.

OK OK so magic wins in this world and common sense doesn't work. But can't the worms at least stay earthbound? They can be fast but earthbound. The waterballs I imagine as some enclosed watery being and it makes sense that it should float since.... since it does. But why would a giant worm that swims in water suddenly be able to fly as well?

Also doesn't anyone find the concept of enemies actually having different behavior in and out of water appealing?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk