Author Topic: AVWW Post-Release 1.008 "Windy Boomstick" Released!  (Read 6329 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
Re: AVWW Post-Release 1.008 "Windy Boomstick" Released!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 12:16:19 am »
I'm curious though as to what you intend on having the Shards be used for.    Whatever they're used for, I apparantly have some 7000 of them.   Gotta wonder just where the characters HOLD all this stuff.....

Ever play Liesure Suit Larry?  "You stick a ladder in your pocket.  (Ouch.)"
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline khadgar

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 12:47:54 am »
Or any point & click, like monkey island.

Offline timtim

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 12:49:45 am »
It's my girlfriend's birthday on Monday and she is a keen player of the game and she LOVES CATS. Can you have a cat enemy of some kind? (preferably a tabby, as her home cat she sees rarely now, called Lady, is a tabby) It would literally make her day. And mine. I love cats too.

Suggestion for it: Maybe it can not be damaged by weapons but take damage from the health orbs of other enemies when the cat goes near it (only love can destroy cuteness). So you have to lead it to other enemies so it gets near enough for the health orbs to attract to the cat and damage it. But rather than 'kill' it, when it reaches zero HP it just stops attacking / scratching you (and it could do surprisingly lots of damage, because cat scratches really bloody hurt!) and just kind of wanders around (maybe even follow the player, and maybe then attack nearby enemies AKA Wolves in Minecraft). And also, maybe it can be sleeping until a player gets a certain distance away. Maybe there can also be an ingredient that can be found that's "catnip" (from a plant of some kind, as catnip comes from a root) that you can drop and the cat will be attracted to that and not attack the player. Once 'defeated' it would be great to be able to name it (if it follows the player around afterwards). Oh, and it SHOULD NOT be found in desert areas, as I know from experience that cats HATE sand. Maybe they can be really rare too, because usually they will be away from battle areas sleeping.

For reference, a picture of the girlfriend's cat.

With ears folded back (she really likes that):

For added reference, a top down view for if it's needed:

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:40:55 am by timtim »

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 01:12:25 am »
I'm seriously not sure what to say to that.  I can't even find an appropriate internet meme.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 01:43:04 am »
I had SOMETHING I was gonna say here.

And then cats happened, and now I cant remember what it was.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 02:37:19 am »
Umm...cats?  I dunno, everytime I think of cats, they would just be sleeping in some corner, hardly the fearsome monsters that we'd have to face.  Not to mention, a bit out of place with the current monsters we have on the table....

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Drjones013

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 03:23:26 am »
I'd like to see more summons and THAT left me speechless.

Err, less speeched.

Undersprechened.

Ya.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 07:33:32 am »
I had a comment.  I realized I was drinking too hard and my intent wouldn't come out as intended.

I shall rephrase in a way that won't be misunderstood for the intent... WHAT?!  They're an indie developer, not desperate.  WHAT?!

Please remember, it's "puff puff pass", not "Puff puff smoke the roach here's the tip".  My second comment comes from the fact that not only did you edit it, you emphasized it!

I can't help but laugh.  If that was your intent, thank you.  I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.  If it wasn't... errr... seriously, GOTO LINE 10.

Found it!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:43:57 am by Wanderer »

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 08:12:55 am »
Cute cat, though.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 12:23:12 pm »
Wait, what?  Now AVWW has catsplosion?

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 12:30:48 pm »
We shall combine the power of cakes, ponies, and cats and take over this forum and establish a new kingdom based on internet memes and silly image macros. Our power shall be unstoppable. BWA HA HA HA!!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 01:58:18 pm »
The ability to set the surface temperature of an entity type, and let emergent behavior do the rest, is almost motivation enough to make a thoroughgoing simulation game.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Kregoth

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 04:34:44 pm »
The ability to set the surface temperature of an entity type, and let emergent behavior do the rest, is almost motivation enough to make a thoroughgoing simulation game.

Ya those catsplosions are better then the standard :P

I would love to see Arcen do a DF like game, if there anyone who could do it its you guys :)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 06:04:13 pm »
I would love to see Arcen do a DF like game, if there anyone who could do it its you guys :)
It would be interesting, but Toady's already doing it :)

There's a lot to be said for building a solid simulation and seeing what hilarious things happen emergently; I'd love to make a game with really thorough-going building destruction like Red Faction Guerilla or X-Com Apocalypse.

In the latter my favorite thing was taking a bunch of hacked-to-be-massively-OP high explosives over to one of the ginormous multi-floor-office-buildings-on-stilts sites, drilling through the supports, placing a big string of the explosives connecting all the supports, tossing in a grenade, and watching my CPU churn as it tried to simulate the result. 

In RF:G my only regret was not having bigger skyscrapers and whatnot to blow up; that one 6/7 floor one in the last zone that could be repop'd by restarting the demolition mission probably gave me about 100 hours of entertainment by itself.  Many of them from hijacking a jeep, parking it on the ridge some hundreds of feet away, placing remote-detonation charges very carefully, and trying to make it arc so that it falls into the skyscraper from the top.  One time I got it perfect and took it all down with just that.

But I still think I'm the kind of designer/implementer that I can make something more fun if I just aim at the gameplay goals I want, rather than trying to build a very sophisticated simulation that may produce fun gameplay as a side-effect.

So, uh, tangent ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk