Author Topic: A Word of Encouragement  (Read 3851 times)

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
A Word of Encouragement
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:42:54 am »
I just want to let you guys know this. This is a fun, well thought out game, and well worth my money and time.
Are there flaws and oversights currently? Certainly. Are we doing lots of criticism on the forums? Yes. However, this is (for the most part) because we genuinely want to see the game be great all around. Lots of our discussion about negative points of the game is just us bouncing ideas around.
So as such, here are some of the things I think the game does right:

• Art: Saturation and brightness issues aside, the game is quite beautiful, with high levels of detail in even things as trivial as mushrooms. Some may say that is not necessarily a good thing, but I think it is. I also love the art style of this game.
  • Room generation: I'm very impressed about how well the room generator works. Sure, there is plenty of room for improvement, but platforming/exploration and random-ish generation is not something I would ever of thought possible, but you pulled it off
  • Attention to balance/experience: I'm not saying that the game is well balanced right now (it isn't), but rather I am saying that you don't just make random changes without severe thought about how it will impact the rest of the game and the user experience. As such, every mechanic seems very well thought out and well integrated, even if the current balance and variety could use some work.
  • Music: Plenty of people have commented on how great the music is for this game, and I am now another one of those people :)

There is more I can say I love, but this is a good start.
So, even though there may be lots more to do, I can say that the game is off to a great start and in very capable hands. :)

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III
Re: A Word of Encouragement
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:57:21 am »
I agree 100%.

I'm also happy that there are more critical eyes looking at the game now after release. I'm glad there are many great reviews out there recognizing the strengths of the game, and I'm ecstatic that it's selling well. But you don't get to improve from positive reviews -- you only improve from those people who look for the flaws that need improvements.

There's another point that needs to be made. Most games are built out of pre-existing genres and examples. Terraria is a great example -- they took the base game established by Minecraft (which is based on legos and has a cocaine-like effect on the brain) and just added a platforming/battle component. Arcen doesn't take that path. They take basic gaming elements and piece them together, and that's much much harder to get right. And even when it seems like it feels 'right' or 'good' in general, you can still go over the disparate elements and find holes that need patching and redoing. I think it's very brave of Arcen to do this since they're not backed up by a huge company that can finance them through this endeavor (unlike, say Diablo 3, which is a heavy modification of the ARPG genre). And this process can take a long time to fully resolve itself -- right now it's at a stage where much (or most) of the gameplay works and feels great, but there are still holes to patch up and improve.

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:17:26 pm »
Thank you very much!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Martyn van Buren

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:10:25 pm »
Absolutely want to second this; I can be as demanding as anyone else on the fora , but if you abandoned the game today and never released another update it would still probably eat up as much of my time as anything else I've seen this year. Go Arcen!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:19:15 pm »
Cheers, folks -- it means a lot. :)

Keith has commented to the effect of "a man is never in as much danger is when he is being praised," and I think to some extent that can be true.  I like to think of it as the George Lucas effect, where he just nailed some things on his first try (with enormous amounts of help from a hugely creative team; something I think he discounted too much, though I digress).  Then after that everyone was just telling him how awesome he was, and he started believing too much in his own glorious image.  Until the prequels came out and everything crashed down.

For me I think -- as with most things in life -- it's all about balance.  Whatever your job is, if nobody ever tells you what you do right then you won't be able to keep recreating that aspect of it.  On the other hand, if nobody ever mentions when you make a mistake then you won't ever grow.  There has to be a healthy medium in there.

So all that's to say I appreciate both the recent rash of insights into how to make the game better (as there's nobody who believes more than I do that there's a lot more potential here that can be unearthed over a period of weeks, months, and even years), as well as some of the balancing comments to make sure we don't go crazy and think the whole thing has been a flop or something.  Having awesome starting sales certainly helps reinforce all that, but what we really need to see is ongoing support from players in all senses of the word so that we can keep growing this thing into something increasingly refined and fun with time.

So: thanks. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline The Wuggly Ump

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 04:48:58 pm »
I'm probably pretty hard on this game in my... Uh, four posts or something. And I'll probably continue to be slightly dickish and complain a lot, because those are things I tend to do.

But I wanted to say this: I wouldn't care enough to complain if I didn't think the game was something special. I've spent the last three days playing it practically nonstop, and I love it dearly.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:14:33 pm »
I'm probably pretty hard on this game in my... Uh, four posts or something. And I'll probably continue to be slightly dickish and complain a lot, because those are things I tend to do.
So long as we both understand that's what's happening ;)

But I wanted to say this: I wouldn't care enough to complain if I didn't think the game was something special. I've spent the last three days playing it practically nonstop, and I love it dearly.
And we very much appreciate responses where the obviously-significant time and effort put into them was motivated by caring about the game rather than by rage and a desire to hurt people.  Thankfully we don't get very much of the latter, and hopefully our ability to deal with the former will equalize with the actual amount of the former before too long :)  Right now it's more than a bit like trying to drink from a fire hydrant, so we're just focusing on working rather than digging into the discussions very heavily.

But stick it out, progress is being made :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Jerebaldo1

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:42:08 pm »
True it was only a matter of time before someone would weigh in on how they felt that this was the worst game ever made, but that's inevitable. Given the sort of representative democratic process by which this game is developed, I have no doubt that a significant number of people who don't like it now will warm to it later. And really the negative comments are more of a handy guidepost for near term development efforts than a knock on your artistic sensibilities. I too wish that some commentators would mind their choice of words.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:29:09 pm »
I agree with the OP.

This game is freaking excellent.

It has pretty much dominated my gaming time since it released.

Definitely has balance issues, but.... I think they're fairly minor compared to how they COULD be, and really, most new games have this, so..... yeah.

This is a game I'll be sticking with for a loooooooooooooooong time.   Definitely cant get enough of it, and a big thanks to the devs for making it in the first place.

I also agree specifically with all of the OPs 4 points there.   Dunno where the complaints about art/music from some people come from, but..... I guess you cant please everyone all the time :P

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 06:40:04 pm »
I agree with the OP.

I'm glad to know the rage I've caused you with JtP missions and such hasn't prevented this :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 06:51:49 pm »
I agree with the OP.

I'm glad to know the rage I've caused you with JtP missions and such hasn't prevented this :)

Hah, indeed not.

Even with games I really love, I tend to shriek swearwords at them nonetheless.   I have a really short fuse and a complete lack of patience, haha.

Offline PatDay

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 09:33:45 pm »
I'm in agreement with the OP on basically all his points.

I made another thread saying how I was disappointed AVWW, but I do it out of love, bros :) It's because I love the concept of the game so much that I want to see it work.

Some of my favorite games of all time are from the SNES era like Super Metriod and Castlevania or modern remakes like Shadow Complex. But I also love most RPGs, sandbox worlds and creative games like MineCraft.

It's like AVWW was specifically designed to hit all my gamer buttons. So, anyway, keep up the good work guys and I promise to make sure any criticism from me is of the constructive variety :)

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 09:37:59 pm »
Another point about the art. I love the character art.
Some of it is even quite hilarious, like Dave2's magic use sprite (attached)
To quote Ashens: "...looks like he's lining up a particularly difficult pool shot" (Bonus points for telling me which video this is a quote from  :D)

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 01:01:23 am »
Agreed. The game has issues, but what game doesn't, especially this soon after initial release? Arcen certainly has demonstrated that they have the determination to make the game all that it can be so I have no doubts that AVWW will be truly something great. Not that it's not already a great game, but you know what I mean.  :)
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 07:47:36 am »
Thank god! Finally some good on those forums. All the whinefest lately has just helped cement my opinion that the console-kiddies are spoiled beyond belief and wouldn't know good gameplay if it jumped up and bit them in the arse. *havingabadday*
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk