Author Topic: Official Praise Thread  (Read 50101 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Official Praise Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2010, 10:15:14 pm »
cc, you'd better believe we were jazzed about that particular review, also.  That's one of the reviewers that the staff most reads, for the reasons you mention, and we view him as a really fair broker.  So it was really great to hear what he had to say, especially given what he had to say.  ;D

It's practically criminal that he's not considered by MetaCritic, but it's possible he simply just doesn't review enough of the mainstream games or something.  Ah, well.  And I say that not just because he reviewed us well on this one.

Many thanks for the congrats, the well wishes, and your enthusiasm for the game! :)

Chris
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 12:21:24 pm »
Yea, the Out of Eight review made me really happy.  He's been doing those reviews (on that website) since 2005 and if I'm counting right has done a total of 646 reviews, and Tidalis is the 29th game to earn the honor of an 8/8 score.  So if statistics mean anything that puts it in the top 4.5% of all games ever, right? ;)

And Dominions 3 is an awesome game; really niche but really cool.  Of course, I've still only played the demo and read some LP's here, it's pretty expensive ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline SmileyFace

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 12:47:46 pm »
Just to chip in: What a high quality game! I'm very impressed.

I am maybe 15 or 20 levels in and really enjoying it so far. Even the cut scenes are fun and worth watching :) It's nice to see a game that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Gameplay wise, this is a gem. I think that calling it a "match 3" game doesn't do it justice, because the game is much deeper. In story mode at least, new mechanics are introduced at a good pace so there is always something new to learn or to revisit and master.

There are some minor issues (erratic difficulty & graphic glitches) but overall this feels like a very polished game. I haven't enjoyed a matching puzzle game this much since, hmm, Puzzle Quest? PQ was an innovative title, imo, yet I think I'm going to get even more play time and enjoyment out of Tidalis.

Good work!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2010, 06:35:42 am »
Yea, lots of people are struggling with the term "match-3" on this title.  Arcen staff in particular ;)  We (or at least Chris and myself) really hate to see the words "Tidalis" and "Match-3" put together like that because of the connotations of that sub-genre... but I can see why it's kind of unavoidable even for perfect-score reviews to call it that because, well, your basic starting point for making stuff happen is matching 3+ blocks of the same color :)  But it's so different because that's really just the basic starting point, and the variety of stuff you can do with that runs into the simply ludicrous quantities.

I don't think there's any one slogan that could "fit" the game (though James Allen might have been onto one), but "See?  Match Three Doesn't Have To Suck."  might be one; or rather that it can be awesome :)

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline SmileyFace

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2010, 08:24:30 am »
I thought it might be worthwhile to post some praise on the Steam forums, too:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1381551

Tried to cover everything I like about Tidalis.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 09:12:20 am »
Thanks for posting that, and I think you covered it pretty well considering the small space :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2010, 09:23:35 am »
Indeed, many thanks! We definitely needed something like that on the steam side. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline dumpsterKEEPER

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2010, 04:39:10 pm »
You might have already noticed, but you got a very nice writeup for Tidalis over on Dubious Quality: http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2010/07/tidalis.html

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2010, 04:44:23 pm »
That is a very positive review, thanks :)

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2010, 05:01:28 am »
Just linking my Blog Review Post.  http://kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com/2010/07/25/tidalis-1-0-review/

*Shameless plug is shameless* :P

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2010, 10:47:41 am »
No worries, we do appreciate it, actually.  It's linked from our main press page for Tidalis (and more recently in an overall news post), so I didn't link it here. ;)

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2010, 11:58:22 am »
No worries, we do appreciate it, actually.  It's linked from our main press page for Tidalis (and more recently in an overall news post), so I didn't link it here. ;)

Yeah, I saw that last night.  ty :) 

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2010, 12:22:13 pm »
Of course!

Offline Huw

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2010, 02:54:35 am »
Huw and Admiral, it's been great to see you again, it's been a while.  Huw, I'm actually on holiday at the moment (took a week for right after Tidalis came out), but of course it's sort of a working holiday, as far as that sort of thing goes. ;)

Heh.  You just can't leave things alone, eh? ;)

As predicted, by the way, I put Tidalis in front of my girlfriend, and five minutes later I was buying a key.  So now we're both Arcen Games fan...er...people!  Any extra content you release for Tidalis will be snapped up. :)
I play evenings UK timezone

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2010, 08:27:52 am »
Many thanks! And yeah, there is more free dlc coming for her. :) It was definitely a working vacation for me, my wife was a bit annoyed. But, we had a good time and I got what needed to be done, done, so all's well that ends well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk