Author Topic: Beta 0.417 Released (HUD/Resolution Updates)  (Read 2986 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Beta 0.417 Released (HUD/Resolution Updates)
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:15:39 am »
Full release notes: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Tidalis_-_0.417_Beta_Release

Not a whole lot to say about this one -- basically it's an internal revamp of a lot of parts of the HUD, and the result is something that looks better at all resolutions and is able to function with larger resolutions than had previously been intended.  The effect for most players who play on standard resolutions is probably very small, although the button placement should be better for everyone; the effect for those who have been waiting on their specific resolution being supported should be pretty enormous.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
Re: Beta 0.417 Released (HUD/Resolution Updates)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:02:17 pm »
Hmm, not sold on the higher-resolutions quite yet, but understand that this is BETA so I just thought you'd like to know.  The game/blocks is a little small to me, but this is because I'm used to the smaller resolutions so I'll keep tinkering to see if I can adjust to the different resolution or not. 

Keep plugging away!

Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Adetia

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:05:48 pm »
So, is this an open or closed beta?

If it's open where can I find the DL link? If it's closed how can I get in?  :D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:56:18 pm »
Hmm, not sold on the higher-resolutions quite yet, but understand that this is BETA so I just thought you'd like to know.  The game/blocks is a little small to me, but this is because I'm used to the smaller resolutions so I'll keep tinkering to see if I can adjust to the different resolution or not. 

Keep plugging away!

That's pretty much done, to be honest.  This is not a major feature, and there's not much that will address your concern.  The game is meant to be played at 1280x768 or smaller, anything larger and you need an oversized monitor for it not to be tiny -- and even then I don't think it's a good idea, but it was specifically requested by some folks, so we included it (and it also fit with some other stuff that we needed to do with letterboxing in general). 

For an example of ideal usage of the letterboxing, my native resolution is 1280x1024 on my monitor.  So before I could run it either windowed, or in 1024x768.  Now I can run it with full 1280x1024, just with letterboxing for that extra 256 pixels at the top and bottom.  Then things are crisp and I can see the max possible on fullscreen, as I could on windowed.

But for folks who might want to run this at something giant like 1600x1200 or something, unless you have a 24" monitor or something that's likely to look, well, tiny.  That's not something we plan to address, as the solution is already there: use a smaller resolution.  Computer monitors are better at upscaling smaller resolutions than doing this in game code would ever be.

At any rate, I wouldn't suggest using a resolution that is giant just for the sake of doing so, it's just for those players who specifically want it.  I'd suggest 1280x1024 or smaller for most folks, unless the monitor is absolutely huge!

So, is this an open or closed beta?

If it's open where can I find the DL link? If it's closed how can I get in?  :D

It's an open beta as far as the demo is concerned, and the full game is available for those who want to preorder it.  You can read about the beta here: http://www.arcengames.com/tidalis_features.php  And you can download it here (both the demo and the full version are one file, it's just a matter of an unlock key if you want the full thing): http://www.arcengames.com/tidalis_download.php  As for unlock keys, right now you can buy the game at GamersGate, MacGameStore.com, or off our own site store.  Other partners will be having it online sometime in the next month or so, certainly by the full release and in several cases a few weeks before.  Thanks for your interest in our work!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 02:57:25 am »
Heh heh, just giving my feedback.  It doesn't bother me all that much.  If I feel the need I'll push it, but I doubt it.  1280x1024 is just fine.  :D

A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:51:46 am »
No worries, feedback is always appreciated. I was just explaining the intent and goals of the feature. :)

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 02:31:59 am »
No worries, feedback is always appreciated. I was just explaining the intent and goals of the feature. :)

:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk