Author Topic: When everything just gels...  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
When everything just gels...
« on: March 27, 2016, 09:10:13 pm »
Things become beautiful.

+200% damage and +80% attack speed WITH a Destruction Module and Combat Shield? Yes please xD
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: When everything just gels...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 10:36:03 pm »
For the time being I am going to resist examining this amazingly destructive run for things to nerf.

You're welcome.

In all seriousness though, the occaisional OP run is pretty entertaining, eh?

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 11:19:23 pm »
Sure is. I'm especially happy because it's often with a very different loadout too.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 11:40:29 pm »

It definitely is. I just had a TERRIBLE run with Deep Blue and I picked up every single damage pickup I could find, and I still only gently tickled the bosses. Both the Warden and Terminus proved to be A LOT harder when you didn't blow them up in 10 seconds. I usually go glass-cannon-y and just build TONS of damage and fire rate. It works well if you know how to dodge properly. But man, I got nothing with Deep Blue, and I was stuck with the Phaser gun (the penetrating one) and Dual Machine Gun Energy Weapon (that thing is just terrible xD). But I managed to make it and clear the run at least. But it was a chore, to be sure.

Offline windlesszephyr

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 01:19:11 am »
This is beautiful. When the frag cannon gets some love, I'm always happy.

(wait 'til you see my most recent run though; something's gonna be nerfed as a result, and I think I know what it will be)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 11:12:37 am »

(wait 'til you see my most recent run though; something's gonna be nerfed as a result, and I think I know what it will be)

The Frag Cannon hits like a monster with a few upgrades, and even if you're just out of reach you'll still do tons of damage. Even more if you have the Shot Attractor thingy, because the cannon's fragments will home <3

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 04:00:59 am »
I take solace in the fact that the second Green Aegis lasted a whole 2 seconds :) .

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 05:25:16 am »
I take solace in the fact that the second Green Aegis lasted a whole 2 seconds :) .
They're supposed to be tanky, right? ^^

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 07:57:27 am »

The Frag Cannon still needs to be looked at.

On Misery mode in particular, it's going to be literally unusable.  It's basically impossible to get within range to hit with that thing against the stuff I've got brewing for that mode (yet on the lower difficulties, it does too much damage).  It's hard enough just hitting those monstrosities with the basic gun or anything else.  I find it... difficult.

As for something getting nerfed, hmmm... I suppose you're saying I should think to go have a look then, eh? :D

It definitely is. I just had a TERRIBLE run with Deep Blue and I picked up every single damage pickup I could find, and I still only gently tickled the bosses. Both the Warden and Terminus proved to be A LOT harder when you didn't blow them up in 10 seconds. I usually go glass-cannon-y and just build TONS of damage and fire rate. It works well if you know how to dodge properly. But man, I got nothing with Deep Blue, and I was stuck with the Phaser gun (the penetrating one) and Dual Machine Gun Energy Weapon (that thing is just terrible xD). But I managed to make it and clear the run at least. But it was a chore, to be sure.

Hm, I'm going to have to experiment with this glass cannon idea.  From what I've seen it is maybe a bit too easy to reliably go the high-damage route, which causes issues.  I think I know why, too.  But I'll look at that later.

For some upcoming future bosses, I'm likely to give them a way to defend against hyper-damage of that sort.  I've some interesting ideas and having a few more "defensive" enemies/bosses in the game might be interesting.  For one particular special boss, it'll be completely impossible to take it down that fast regardless of how much power you have.  Player responses to THAT guy should be entertaining.  But that's awhile off yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk