Author Topic: Beta 0.903 (Race Leader Uniqueness)  (Read 5051 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Beta 0.903 (Race Leader Uniqueness)
« on: July 31, 2015, 11:00:17 am »
New one: https://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Phase_2_Release_Notes#Version_0.903

There are still many big, BIG changes coming to the non-citybuilding aspects of the game.  I'm getting flat out fed up with a few things that are just too confusing or too prone to minmaxing, etc, and I have a lot of ideas on how to make that more interesting.  So that's what's coming.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
Re: Beta 0.903 (Race Leader Uniqueness)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 11:58:57 am »
1 really happy those toltips are finally there after all the moaning I've done about (: 2 being able to see what your resource users can use is going to be pretty usefull 3 I'm glad I've finally got stuff to test again (:
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 11:59:30 am »
I figured you would be particularly happy on this one! :D
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:38:56 pm »
I'm pretty chuffed with the toltips don't know how I never noticed extra out put of pollution and trash from the krolin( unless that was added to them while I was on my break) also interesting to see that you get more basic buildings from the start not that I'm complaining having more stuff to do at the start is nice also that 2000 construction bonus from the get go is ridicules and probably needs a tone down although that might change as I get going into later game.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 01:17:05 pm »
The various race and leader specific adjustments are all new. :)

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 02:01:04 pm »
Oh cool, I didn't know that mechanically different leaders had yet to be added. Still looking forward to the diplomacy overhaul, even if it's driving you crazy and been changed again.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 02:29:12 pm »
Oh cool, I didn't know that mechanically different leaders had yet to be added. Still looking forward to the diplomacy overhaul, even if it's driving you crazy and been changed again.

Yeah, the leaders are now WAY more different, which is really cool.

I think I'm going to stop calling the diplomacy stuff "diplomacy."  That's not what it really is, anymore.  It's really "interactions with other races via methods other than fighting, and interactions with your own populace in other ways than the standard citybuilding mechanics."  I don't know what to call that.  Certainly diplomacy is kind of contained within there to a certain extent, but there's a whole lot of stuff that is nothing to do with governments, and more about Billy Jim and his crazy antics in the Skylaxian Mall, or whatever.

What I've really been realizing today -- after another frustrating day yesterday -- is that trying to shoehorn in that sort of interesting interactivity into the existing model for things like resources, wonders, market items, etc, was really not going to work well.  Those existing systems were simply too complicated to begin with, and not something I found fun.  I love the NAMES of the market items, but not much of anything else to do with them.  And the fact that they are crazy bonus procgen techs is also cool, I don't mind that at all because it doesn't require me to make any choices, and it's neat to see.

So today I've started writing down all the guts that need to be ripped out, and things that need to be simplified in the systems I mentioned there, so that the path is clear for me to use those all in different ways.  I like the resources and wonders and market items as a concept, and their thematic nature is great, too.  But I was trying to have those really directly play back into the citybuilding part of the game, and for resources and wonders in particular that was simply Not Fun.  At least not for me.

So many parts of this game work so well, but there have been these certain key areas that come up again and again with people both new to the game and very familiar with it.  I'm not erasing those areas, but I am going to simplify them and tie them into the new central interaction system.  The interaction system plus the citybuilding are kind of the two beating hearts of the game, ideally.

Yesterday I made a lot of progress on the new "diplomacy" stuff, but by the end of the day I realized I had to throw it pretty much all out.  I did gain a lot of forward movement in terms of clarity on what things need to be, but it wasn't a case where I could start turning the data definitions into specs that I was happy with yet.  Fingers crossed I can finish that up today in terms of the simplest variant of what is several different very broad categories of event.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 03:08:07 pm »
they are? I have to assume  that's not including the race persifick damage tweaks like the boarines having 1.3 damage compared to the peltians 0.9 but though I definitely do like the filthy living debuf makes up for that ridiculous rush power some what although I just did  a re look at the race stats and I've noticed that they've all got a debuff of some kind its nice to see that the zenith super energy production isn't going to be so ludicrously over powered now.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 03:57:37 pm »
The stats on the combat are all pre-existing, but the special buffs and debuffs on the race and leader are all 100% new.  I made sure to add one negative on each one, and then the rest be positive.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 05:09:24 pm »
pretty much what I thought but still good all the same I especially like how the de buff's all fit the race there attached to perfectly I'm surprised though that a race as efficient as krolin are dirtier than the other races the idea of using military buildings as police stations though is pretty great mechanically and thematically wise though.
c.r

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 05:42:18 pm »
I think I'm going to stop calling the diplomacy stuff "diplomacy."  That's not what it really is, anymore.  It's really "interactions with other races via methods other than fighting, and interactions with your own populace in other ways than the standard citybuilding mechanics."  I don't know what to call that.  Certainly diplomacy is kind of contained within there to a certain extent, but there's a whole lot of stuff that is nothing to do with governments, and more about Billy Jim and his crazy antics in the Skylaxian Mall, or whatever.
We'd probably call the whole thing (soft) foreign policy, and domestic policy respectively. Individual instances like what you talk about would be domestic or international incidents. Just not the kind that ends with dead soldiers. Usually.  :D

Offline bormoth

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 10:18:37 pm »
Would it be to rude to sugguest, some organisation in update notes. "added features" for new stuff added, "changed" - for all  changes made and Fixes for all bug fixes.
Sorting by how each change, fix feature is welcome.
This would make for testers easier to see what to test in first place(he he still everything should be tried on weather it is possile to break), as well someone who is curious sorta may have a glance on what stage the game is on.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 10:36:51 am »
hey so I've been noticing a new thing on the efficiency rating telling me that its efficiency is crap because of .low served population. I'm probably just being dumb but I'm not really sure what its talking about?.
c.r

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 12:34:13 pm »
Some buildings have their efficiency tied to overall population divided by the number of buildings of their type.
Practically speaking, this means that you only get 100% efficiency one one building per so-and-so-much population.

Example: A building has a served population of 2000.
1 Building and 1000 Pop: 50% efficiency in the building
1 Building and 2000 Pop: 100% efficiency in the building
2 Buildings and 2000 Pop: 50% efficiency in both buildings
2 Buildings and 5000 Pop: 100% efficiency in both buildings

AFAIK, at least.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 10:36:17 am »
Would it be to rude to sugguest, some organisation in update notes. "added features" for new stuff added, "changed" - for all  changes made and Fixes for all bug fixes.
Sorting by how each change, fix feature is welcome.
This would make for testers easier to see what to test in first place(he he still everything should be tried on weather it is possile to break), as well someone who is curious sorta may have a glance on what stage the game is on.

Not rude at all.  It's mainly an issue of time, and how long the release notes get in general.  I overall try to group them by major areas of stuff changed if there are major areas.  This particular release just had a messload of random stuff in the main, aside from a couple of major standout features.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk